LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myltwon
GM recommends Mobil 1 because mobil payed them a bunch of a money to stick their logo on the fill cap

Diesels may not rev like a conventional motor but most are designed to run on hot forced air (turbo) and haul large payloads. It is apples to oranges but neither a "race" motor or a rightfully purposed diesel truck is a low abuse motor. Heavy hauling can be just as intensive as high rpm.
I never said either was low abuse motor, I just mentioned that the both original LT4, and the new LT1/LT4 have higher max oil specs than a duramax diesel: fact! And they come with mobil 1 factory filled for that reason.

GM used to allow "synthetic blend" oil in the C7 until LT1's started grenading left and right....then GM backpedaled and now ONLY recommends Mobil 1, and it is required for track use due to the very high oil temperatures in a track environment that regular oil cannot handle and thins out with high heat resulting in severe engine damage. Motortrend got a new Z06 up to over 320 degree oil temp during a recent track test....tell me, would a Duramax diesel running conventional oil survive over 320 degree sustained oil temps on a racetrack? It just might with synthetic oil though!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...06_first_test/

Last edited by ahritchie; 05-14-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Towing heavy, a dmax will see ~245* area oil temps pending OAT. Sustained? Depends on how steep/long the hill is

Interesting article
http://killerbeeperformance.com/oil-cooling/

And don't forget, oil cooled pistons will cook oil pretty good too.

Ironically, out of the big three, dmax's give oil the easiest life.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Towing heavy, a dmax will see ~245* area oil temps pending OAT. Sustained? Depends on how steep/long the hill is

Interesting article
http://killerbeeperformance.com/oil-cooling/

And don't forget, oil cooled pistons will cook oil pretty good too.

Ironically, out of the big three, dmax's give oil the easiest life.
Good points made in the article about the need for oil cooling; however this thread has been derailed enough about duramax diesels.

Does anyone on here run a real oil cooler on their LT1? Not the little "oil warmer" that comes stock on most?
If so, does the cooler oil temps result in more oil pressure at hot idle?
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Good points made in the article about the need for oil cooling; however this thread has been derailed enough about duramax diesels.

Does anyone on here run a real oil cooler on their LT1? Not the little "oil warmer" that comes stock on most?
If so, does the cooler oil temps result in more oil pressure at hot idle?

I wish, I wanna toss a temp sensor in my oil system at some point but scared to see the results.

Adding in a nice 10an cooler and lines is a expensive process. That and real estate is tight under hood already
Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil pressure question

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
I wish, I wanna toss a temp sensor in my oil system at some point but scared to see the results.

Adding in a nice 10an cooler and lines is a expensive process. That and real estate is tight under hood already
I doubt many people with a stockish lt1 has the money to throw in a real oil cooler, especially since these are getting cheaper and most of the time the damage is already done anyway like my car. I'd still like to see the results though, Ill bet there's a few road course guys with vettes that can add info out there.

Quick Reply: Another oil pressure question