LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header and air pump egr

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header and air pump egr

Hi i plan on getting some used hooker headers for my 1994 TA so i can start doing some upgrades to it.Im also trying to delete the egr and air .

1)can kind of pipe should i use for the hooker LT's ? y pipe, x pipe? if i go with an x pipe 3" and do a custom job on the exhaust over the axle will i have enough groung clearance?
also would it be better for performance and sound doing a y pipe with two cutouts after the headers and open them when i want OR is it better true to just do true duals and no cutouts?

2)i figure out how to delete my egr by blocking it with plates (question ansered)

3) can i just disconnect the air pump and leave it on the car without causing any issues? I plan to use it on the future so i dont want to remove completely.

i plan on getting the codes deleted after i finish everything.

thank you guys in advance
Old 05-06-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, save your money and time, do a ORY pipe, and a good catback with one cutout at the end of the Y pipe, Doing 2 cutouts IMHO is a waste of money for such little splitting hair type of gains you will NOT notice. The whole X pipe Deal on these cars is a big sham to me, yeah it sounds cool to say but it's not really worth it in the end. To sum it up,
Buy ORY pipe.
Buy 1 cutout.
Buy catback of choice.
Install.
Be happy.
And no the Air pump is only under operation upon start up for like 3 minutes max to send warm air to heat up the catalytic converter, reducing emissions. If you have a ORY the air pump is entirely worthless and is just crowding your engine bay.

PS: I recommend not welding your exhaust together, you'll hate yourself later for it, if you ever need to take it off it's just a huge PITA and will cost a lot of money having to cut stuff and then re weld etc etc.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
FWIW, save your money and time, do a ORY pipe, and a good catback with one cutout at the end of the Y pipe, Doing 2 cutouts IMHO is a waste of money for such little splitting hair type of gains you will NOT notice. The whole X pipe Deal on these cars is a big sham to me, yeah it sounds cool to say but it's not really worth it in the end. To sum it up,
Buy ORY pipe.
Buy 1 cutout.
Buy catback of choice.
Install.
Be happy.
And no the Air pump is only under operation upon start up for like 3 minutes max to send warm air to heat up the catalytic converter, reducing emissions. If you have a ORY the air pump is entirely worthless and is just crowding your engine bay.

PS: I recommend not welding your exhaust together, you'll hate yourself later for it, if you ever need to take it off it's just a huge PITA and will cost a lot of money having to cut stuff and then re weld etc etc.
Thank you for the advice, you were very helpful.doing a y pipe is easier to me go sure ! Looking for the headers ,y pipe and cutout.already have a cat back

Quick Reply: header and air pump egr