LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 stripped block

Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 stripped block

My buddy has a 95 firebird with a stock lt1 full exhaust and msd ingition nothing wild done to the car cylinder 8 the spark plug keeps backing its self out of the head l. Has this happen to anyone else??? Any help??
I have been trying to talk him in to a ls swap i know that would fix everything!!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowmarow
My buddy has a 95 firebird with a stock lt1 full exhaust and msd ingition nothing wild done to the car cylinder 8 the spark plug keeps backing its self out of the head l. Has this happen to anyone else??? Any help??
I have been trying to talk him in to a ls swap i know that would fix everything!!!!
Never had that happen but have you tried a small dab of blue loctite on it? Does it thread in easily or is it crossthreaded?

And no an LS swap would not fix his problem, nothing wrong with an LT1 if you know what you're doing. Also what sort of MSD ignition? If it's any sort of iginition box, it's probably doing more harm than good on a bolt on LT1 car, the Opti is already a high voltage ignition and doesn't need help from an MSD box.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

The LSX swap would definitely solve his issue. As we all know the LSX runs on just awesomeness and requires no spark plugs or regular maintenance, its great for the every day idiot
Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
The LSX swap would definitely solve his issue. As we all know the LSX runs on just awesomeness and requires no spark plugs or regular maintenance, its great for the every day idiot
Lmfao, that's awsome.

I would get a reverse tap and try to see if maybe some one messed the threads up. It would be a lot more work involved doing a LS swap when it can be fixed or upgraded for a small amount.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by slowmarow
nothing wild done to the car cylinder 8 the spark plug keeps backing its self out of the head l. Has this happen to anyone else???
Does he use anti seize compound on the threads? If it has stock manifolds and IIRC the #8 plug can be a pain to access especially to thread and tighten. If anti seize is not used then you can experience a false sense of the plug being tight when it actually is not. Don't mind SNM. He's a colossal Richard.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make tighter, unless the threads are stripped.
Helicoil if the threads are stripped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt1 stripped block