LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

do i need to have a fan shroud on????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default do i need to have a fan shroud on????

long story having cleareance issues with my aftermarket radiator with the stock shroud on --- its way to close to my crank puller and electric waterpump... if i eliminate the shroud and just mount the fans on the radiator i will have lot clearence does that shroud serve any other purpose then to hold the fans in place??? cause i know some of the shrouds it directs air into the fans... but theres allot of open holes in the stock one.... car is a 95 z28 lt1....
Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by detroit_903
long story having cleareance issues with my aftermarket radiator with the stock shroud on --- its way to close to my crank puller and electric waterpump... if i eliminate the shroud and just mount the fans on the radiator i will have lot clearence does that shroud serve any other purpose then to hold the fans in place??? cause i know some of the shrouds it directs air into the fans... but theres allot of open holes in the stock one.... car is a 95 z28 lt1....
The shroud does make a difference. But whether you'll notice it or not depends on your climate. If you live in AZ or similar then yes, you absolutely need it.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Which aftermarket radiator is it? Alot of them you can stand up.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Any way to cut into the shroud to clear the water pump and pulley without fan blade interference? You have to anyway for a stock radiator when using an e-water pump. The shroud will move much more CFM through the radiator.

Quick Reply: do i need to have a fan shroud on????