LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

keep frying icm

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep frying icm

So I chased down the no start to an icm but now I've been through 3 within the past week I have it spaced away from the head and I use the grease that come along the icm. I have the ground straight to the head.
I don't know what to look for a bad ground? Or wire or is there something else that could be frying them
Old 05-13-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's lots of things, Usually it comes from a voltage problem, a Pontiac I had back on 08 fried icm's all the time till I checked the alternator to be putting out 17 volts! One thing I can tell you is to Use heat sink compound instead of the grease, it'll protect it a lot better. That grease isn't really doing you much. In Some cases a cap and rotor will cause one to fail.
Just for kicks what brand ICM have you been buying/using?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Well I had some that I had sitting around for a blazer but I recently bought a borg warner just so I could get them warranted and keep getting new ones haha the problem started when a heater core hose snapped and sprayed coolant everywhere I'll check the alternator see what voltage it's running I'm pretty sure something messed up when it got wet but I got a new delphi opti so I'm pretty positive it's not the cap and rotor
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

I plan on getting an ac Delco once I figure out the problem
Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I recently replaced my Icm with a standard motor products piece . I overheated the car due to a blown hose and im assuming thats the reason my icm burned up was heat. How much are you guys spacing the icm off the head? Just using washers? is the ac delco option proven to be the most reliable? Thanx
Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
I recently replaced my Icm with a standard motor products piece . I overheated the car due to a blown hose and im assuming thats the reason my icm burned up was heat. How much are you guys spacing the icm off the head? Just using washers? is the ac delco option proven to be the most reliable? Thanx
Honestly yes, AC DELCO is most reliable when it comes to replacing anything on a GM car. For instance people think putting an MSD coil on there car is gonna be better but that causes problems too... The stock one is PLENTY for the car and even a highly modified one. A number of things could have fried it. Put a ACdelco one on there and instead of using grease use the heat sink compound I told you about, space it off the head with some washers and you should e fine.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

OK so after testing the alternator it puts out 14.4v and testing the icm harness every terminal tested good but I know on terminal B anything between 1 and 4 volts is suppose to good mine was 1.4v I know that's in the range but should I look into that?
A - 12.6v
B - 1.4v
C - 0.01 ohm
D- 12.6v
Idk where to go from here
Old 05-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a way to test the coil harness I went and bought a cheap bw coil because I heard that a bad coil can fry them and after about 20miles on the icm and about 10 on the coil it's starting to bog down under 2000 rpm so I know something is about to fry up again lol

Quick Reply: keep frying icm