LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

engine component paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engine component paint

hey guys im looking for some help painting my engine parts, plan to paint my intake manifold red, but i am having trouble finding the right paint. i started with a chevy red vht engine enamel but that was crap, flaked and was more orange than red, i have a 95 red z28 and want to match the paint as close as possible and best quality paint, i want it to look good and stay looking good, also what are some good ways to prep the intake manifold and all that jaz, also any input on engine bay dress up, plan on hiding the wire harness on the passenger side and get new valve covers, and any other wire tucking i can get away with.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
hey guys im looking for some help painting my engine parts, plan to paint my intake manifold red, but i am having trouble finding the right paint. i started with a chevy red vht engine enamel but that was crap, flaked and was more orange than red, i have a 95 red z28 and want to match the paint as close as possible and best quality paint, i want it to look good and stay looking good, also what are some good ways to prep the intake manifold and all that jaz, also any input on engine bay dress up, plan on hiding the wire harness on the passenger side and get new valve covers, and any other wire tucking i can get away with.
That VHT paint should have no issues. If it flaked then that was most likely due to prep. Remove the intake and all is components and have it hot tanked at a machine shop. Then clean with brake or carb cleaner. Dry well, then paint.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ I'm almost positive you can't hot tank an aluminum intake. That's what i've been told anyway. Best way to clean them is usuing oven cleaner and a detail brush, mine came out like brand new after doing that.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also the application of the paint itself goes a long way, a single heavy/thick coat will not bond as well to the material as multiple thin coats.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hrcslam
That VHT paint should have no issues. If it flaked then that was most likely due to prep. Remove the intake and all is components and have it hot tanked at a machine shop. Then clean with brake or carb cleaner. Dry well, then paint.
yes it may have been due to prep but the color was still wrong, i guess ill just have to look around some more, also when i did throttle body i noticed the inside of the manifold is blackkkk, im guessing from the egr system, once i clean that all out will it run any better?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

When my Dad and I put my motor in, he used VHT on the valve covers, alternator, accessory bracket, oil pan and the intake manifold. Have not had a issue yet. He is very meticulous when it comes to painting though. Preps the surface before hand, couple layers of primer then a few coats of paint.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
When my Dad and I put my motor in, he used VHT on the valve covers, alternator, accessory bracket, oil pan and the intake manifold. Have not had a issue yet. He is very meticulous when it comes to painting though. Preps the surface before hand, couple layers of primer then a few coats of paint.
Okay so i guess i just have to work on my prep work then. One more quick question, how do yall search for stuff in forums? I use the search bar and it hardly ever helps me find anything! I am new to the forum so any pointers will help me out, thanks guys
Old 05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also have anyone been able to nearly perfectly match the 95 red camaro paint? The color code is wa8774 but i cant find any high temp paints with that color code
Old 05-27-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7109/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710713808&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=23000 6180000848151&cadevice=m&gclid=CMyHzOe-4sUCFc4kgQodQw4Ahg
Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Okay so i guess i just have to work on my prep work then. One more quick question, how do yall search for stuff in forums? I use the search bar and it hardly ever helps me find anything! I am new to the forum so any pointers will help me out, thanks guys
I think honestly, if you start your search in google with "LS1Tech" then what you are looking for, it works better than the search function itself in the forum. For general topics anyway. Search function works best for me when pulling up certain peoples posts and threads. I always thought the search functions work the best by using the subject followed by the indirect and/or direct objects related to the subject you are trying to find.

For Example: Let's say I want to find a build a user did on tech. I would put the users name, then the word build followed by maybe the engine or some mods he has in his build. Hopefully that gives you an idea or you might already be trying what i am talking about. I feel abbreviating your search kind of like how abbreviating a word works, brings the best results. Short but long enough to know the subject, direct and indirect objects of what you are looking for.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7109/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710713808&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=23000 6180000848151&cadevice=m&gclid=CMyHzOe-4sUCFc4kgQodQw4Ahg
I was looking at that, looks sweet but iv read its a waste of money, its smaller than the stock in every way and id rather not spend 577 cause i want a red intake lol. Also the ports dont match up to 95 lt1 so it wouldnt do me any good
Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you camonly, yeah i noticed google works better than the actual site
Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at that, looks sweet but iv read its a waste of money, its smaller than the stock in every way and id rather not spend 577 cause i want a red intake lol. Also the ports dont match up to 95 lt1 so it wouldnt do me any good
Yeah that intake does suck I was just messing with you haha, I was at Oreilys a few days ago and VHT makes header paint that should be a pretty close match to what your looking for, It can withstand I believe 2500*, maybe? Forgot the exact number. Chevy red is essentially orange, i don't care what anyone says so stay away from that if you want red! And like a few others said, Oven cleaner and a good brush should clean the intake well, make sure you do good prep, prime it with 3-4 layers of high temp primer, then do 3-5 coats of the VHT. Remember, light coats are the way to do it!
Don't have a part # for it but just run to any parts store and find the VHT header paint with a red top, the color is just called "red" plain and simple, should match your car well!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes i figured out chevy red is orange haha, and if its a close match ill look into it, and yeah ill be honest i rushed the prep work for the other parts i painted, looked great but once u put it on the car and nick anything putting it in it chipped right off, but the intake manifold doesnt get that hot does it? Im talking about the part the throttle body goes onto. Now when u say light coats, should i be misting it so the original color still shows through after the 1st coat? What is considered a light coat?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for all the silly questions but im kinda a noob to all this, first car iv ever had so im trying to take care of it and make it look all perty since it was in such amazing condition when i bought it for 5k with 55k miles and its a 95, not a single bit of rust so i think i got a pretty good deal
Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
^^ I'm almost positive you can't hot tank an aluminum intake. That's what i've been told anyway. Best way to clean them is usuing oven cleaner and a detail brush, mine came out like brand new after doing that.
I have, no problems. I've done my intake and transmission (when I rebuilt it). I'm sure blocks and heads go through the hot tank often at all machine shops; many, if not most, are aluminum now days.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yes i figured out chevy red is orange haha, and if its a close match ill look into it, and yeah ill be honest i rushed the prep work for the other parts i painted, looked great but once u put it on the car and nick anything putting it in it chipped right off, but the intake manifold doesnt get that hot does it? Im talking about the part the throttle body goes onto. Now when u say light coats, should i be misting it so the original color still shows through after the 1st coat? What is considered a light coat?
Paint is all in the prep. Don't rush so much. Like I said get some oven cleaner or paint thinner, a decent brush and clean away, let it dry. Come back do some light sanding, preferably in steps from 800 to 1500, rinse it off then let it dry again. Come back a day later with some high temp primer, wait 15 minutes between coats. And yes go light on the first one, just sorta fog it. And as coats go on go a little heavier with it. Same for the VHT after your done priming. Id give it about a day after priming before using the VHT. Use the VHT just like I told
You how to do the primer.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Paint is all in the prep. Don't rush so much. Like I said get some oven cleaner or paint thinner, a decent brush and clean away, let it dry. Come back do some light sanding, preferably in steps from 800 to 1500, rinse it off then let it dry again. Come back a day later with some high temp primer, wait 15 minutes between coats. And yes go light on the first one, just sorta fog it. And as coats go on go a little heavier with it. Same for the VHT after your done priming. Id give it about a day after priming before using the VHT. Use the VHT just like I told
You how to do the primer.
and roger that ill give it a try, thank you
Old 05-27-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use regular automotive paint. Which means starting with epoxy primer and then spraying urethane paint. This is the only way to get a great looking engine. There is no such thing ad quality paint in a aerosol can.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ringmaster72
Use regular automotive paint. Which means starting with epoxy primer and then spraying urethane paint. This is the only way to get a great looking engine. There is no such thing ad quality paint in a aerosol can.
Okay so your saying regular old car paint will work and withstand the heat over time? I know spray paint is never a match to regular paint

Quick Reply: engine component paint