LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Performance Chip/Coolant Fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chip/Coolant Fan issue

Hey everyone,

I purchased my Camaro and it had a Hypertech Chip #123322 and it ran fine, but I decided to swap out to a Jet Stage 2 chip #19314S. After swapping out the chip, the coolant fans stopped working. I put the Hypertech chip back in, they work fine. So, I called Jet and they sent me an updated MOD 2 chip. Put the chip in, same issue. Now, Jet is sending me a more current chip to see if that fixes it.

While I wait for the new chip I thought about how odd it was that the one chip works, so I decided to take out the piggy back chip and run just the stock chip...and no cooling fans. If I put the Hypertech back in, the fans come on like they should and the car stays cool. I am wanting to order a custom burned chip, but would hate to run into the same issue. I have replaced the fan relays to eliminate a faulty relay being the issue, but the fans only work when the Hypertech is installed. The car runs like normal with any of the chips, but without the Hypertech, it will get hot and the fans do not come on.

Anyone run into this before, or any troubleshooting steps that could be recommended to find out what the deal is with the chips/fans?

1993 Z28
Automatic Transmission

Last edited by cunokyle; 06-02-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are aware that the cooling fans come on at a very high temperature on LT1's? The gauge will fool you, the needle on the temp gauge will go way past the mid mark.. Making it look like it's over heating when really it's all normal for a LT1. High speed fans come on at 235* and low speed fans come on at 226* which is really, High up on the stock gauge. My guess is the hypertech has them programmed to come on sooner than the jet. You could make a manual fan switch, it's very easy and simple.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
You are aware that the cooling fans come on at a very high temperature on LT1's? The gauge will fool you, the needle on the temp gauge will go way past the mid mark.. Making it look like it's over heating when really it's all normal for a LT1. High speed fans come on at 235* and low speed fans come on at 226* which is really, High up on the stock gauge. My guess is the hypertech has them programmed to come on sooner than the jet. You could make a manual fan switch, it's very easy and simple.
Yeah, I thought that the fans would kick on later...but the gauge will go into the red (250* area) and the fans still will not kick on. I prefer not to add a manual switch.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cunokyle
Yeah, I thought that the fans would kick on later...but the gauge will go into the red (250* area) and the fans still will not kick on. I prefer not to add a manual switch.
Oh okay yeah you do not want it getting that hot! I put mine on the console, I use it when the car hits 200* and if I forget I have the wiring Teed off to where the factory programming works. That's weird about the jet chip though, really those things don't do much to your car. If you have a laptop you can download tuner cats and tune the fans to come on yourself at what your desired
Temperature is, and a bad tuner cats tune is still light years ahead of those piggyback chips.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to install a 160* thermostat and get a tune from pcmofnc. http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/tun...l-order-tuning

Last edited by lt1-xjs; 06-02-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

First step, stop using those junk tunes and get a real tune from either Solomon or the one posted above. Do you have any mods at all?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
First step, stop using those junk tunes and get a real tune from either Solomon or the one posted above. Do you have any mods at all?
I am planning on ordering a chip from http://lt1pcmtuning.com/ but am concerned with the cooling fan issue. (From the original post: "I am wanting to order a custom burned chip, but would hate to run into the same issue.")

Even with the stock chip and no piggy back, the fans do not kick on. They only come on with the Hypertech chip and I have no clue as to why?

I did notice a lone wire that seems to be on the harness close to the computer (close to the C-100 harness plug which is where the fan wiring runs through) under the hood. Not sure if this has anything to do with the issue or not?

Mods:
Magnaflow Catback
K&N CAI
52mm Throttle Body
160* Thermostat
3.73 gears
B&M Shift Kit

I am getting ready to add Pacesetter headers and an ORY

Last edited by cunokyle; 06-04-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Nothing to do with it. That wire is for priming the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Performance Chip/Coolant Fan issue