LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fresh 385 supercharged break in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fresh 385 supercharged break in?

So we just got my 385 running today. It has a vortech v1 t trim with callies dragonslayer crank, coated mahles to reduce fricition, clevite bearings, trick flow heads and a custom blower cam.

The only brand new parts are the pistons and bearings. Cranks head etc are all used. My questions is, the car is untuned. To break it in should i do the normal stuff or do i need to take it to a shop to let them break it in and tune it at the same time?

Its an a4 car also. I want to know the best and safest way to break it in. Will going into boost on a practically fresh motor **** **** up? Do we need to work out how rich/lean it is by letting them tune it first or whats the best route?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You are going to want a mail order tune before the first startup, then do the quick break in, someone will chime in with a link. Do not drive it untuned.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
You are going to want a mail order tune before the first startup, then do the quick break in, someone will chime in with a link. Do not drive it untuned.
The pcm that is in it has a flash for a 355 with a hotcam and all the stuff that was done before we went 383. Would it be ok then?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When questions like this are asked there is a high probability that the person has already made up their mind and just fishing for support. There is an equal probability that those people will start a new thread about how it all went wrong. It is your hard earned money so reflect on this really hard and please take the tuning advice.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevo9389
When questions like this are asked there is a high probability that the person has already made up their mind and just fishing for support. There is an equal probability that those people will start a new thread about how it all went wrong. It is your hard earned money so reflect on this really hard and please take the tuning advice.
I know it needs to be tuned. But my question now is by who? If i get a mail order tune will i need to dyno tune the car afterwards or is the mail order enough? And pcmforless? Is that a good place for mail order tunes on boosted cars?

Could i haul it to a dyno shop and get them to tune it or do i need to get a mail order first?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The mail order tune idea was just for break in purposes like idling, getting the motor up to operating temperature and some very light driving. If you can haul it to a shop with a dyno and arrange a tuner to meet you there then that would be awesome but consider their time (tuner and dyno operator) could get a little expensive waiting for you to change oil and check plugs after a heat cycle or two.

I had a good experience with pcm4less about 8 or 9 years ago mostly because Bryan tuned my car in person on a dyno for a group event. A friend of mine had a good experience with them for simple mail order calibrations. There are a lot of people here who agree and just as many with different opinions.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I tossed a friends SC tune on my car for start up and idle check, verified stuff works, and then hauled it to a dyno shop for their tune. They gave me a no boost break in tune and I drove it for a few hundred miles with varying RPM/vac levels. Then, finished up tune on dyno for positive pressure and WOT stuff.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Would it be ok to get the car to temperature and make sure everything is working with the hotcam flash? No driving just idling etc then once i know its all working haul it to the dyno? Or should i just take it to them? Im expecting about 500 to tune it.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you change the injectors? Did you change the cam? If yes to either of those, then you need a better baseline.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Did you change the injectors? Did you change the cam? If yes to either of those, then you need a better baseline.
Yep and yep. I think it'd be better to just take it up there and let them do it.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You better hope that who ever you use knows how to tune a boosted LT1 on the stock PCM and what map are you running, the stock 1 bar or did you install a 2 bar?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

The only places we can find around here that do lt1s are tick performance and rpm motorsports. Any reviews on them?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
You better hope that who ever you use knows how to tune a boosted LT1 on the stock PCM and what map are you running, the stock 1 bar or did you install a 2 bar?
Its the 1 bar im pretty sure. Do i need a 2 bar?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WCT13
Its the 1 bar im pretty sure. Do i need a 2 bar?
1 bar will get you from idle vac to WOT 0psi, so ya, a 2bar is needed if you want to actually boost it.

Will it work with an LT1 PCM? IDK. I think they do some assumptions and skew tables to make the 2bar sensor work with the 1bar table.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
1 bar will get you from idle vac to WOT 0psi, so ya, a 2bar is needed if you want to actually boost it.

Will it work with an LT1 PCM? IDK. I think they do some assumptions and skew tables to make the 2bar sensor work with the 1bar table.
Got a link to one?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mail order tune and a wideband to keep an eye on things would be a good idea. If things look OK, you can break it in but keep out of boost for the most part. Make sure she is not pissing fluids or having any other issues. Get it on the dyno and have it tuned properly. You will want to avoid long idling periods.

My mail order was too far off for all of this so it was broken in on the dyno.

Quick Reply: fresh 385 supercharged break in?