LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Not mine but good deal for someone, craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Not mine but good deal for someone, craigslist

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5039618873.html

One hell of a deal, just the motor alone.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully he parts it out

Quite a few parts I wouldn't mind having but don't want to **** with having to get rid of the rest of the car.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5039618873.html

One hell of a deal, just the motor alone.

I agree, but for those of us who are thinking about selling our Camaros, that kills what ours might be worth.....
Old 06-17-2015, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just out there last year on Vacation.. Damn I'm a year too late
Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree, but for those of us who are thinking about selling our Camaros, that kills what ours might be worth.....
For the short term....10-15 more years and the vast majority of LT1 4th gens on the road will be parted out and in the junkyard; therefore reducing available supply enough to start appreciating in value! Mark my words... It happened already to 2nd gen Trans Ams and they made hundreds of thousands of them.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
For the short term....10-15 more years and the vast majority of LT1 4th gens on the road will be parted out and in the junkyard; therefore reducing available supply enough to start appreciating in value! Mark my words... It happened already to 2nd gen Trans Ams and they made hundreds of thousands of them.
Your right man.. I ask the older guys all the time why did they get rid of their muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's and they say "we didn't think they'll be worth anything" but the ones who held on to they're cars are really happy they did because the value sky rocketed..
Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Unless the aftermarket gets behind the LT1, the value won't go anywhere. Just because you are unique doesn't mean you're valuable or useful. If anyone got into this platform thinking it would be any sort of an investment, you would have better luck with beanie babies.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Unless the aftermarket gets behind the LT1, the value won't go anywhere. Just because you are unique doesn't mean you're valuable or useful. If anyone got into this platform thinking it would be any sort of an investment, you would have better luck with beanie babies.
The car collectors with the money don't care about aftermarket anything.....100% stock is where the money is. There's not huge aftermarket support for Pontiac 400/455 anymore either;....yet those cars have appreciated far more than inflation. There's not huge aftermarket support still going for the turbo 3800 in the 80's GNs....yet they continue to skyrocket in value....hmmmm.

My Firehawk I bought used in 2006 has held it's value better than any Toyota/Honda, whatever...

*well maybe not a Supra
Old 06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

I meant the aftermarket has to get behind it to create better demand. Your fire hawk is an LS, not an LT.

And not many people on this site keep their cars stock, modded cars are worth less than a stock one.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my car also.I really like them years of the lt1 93-97.But for some reason there not going up alot.Most everybody that collects or just wont.Are all looking or going to the LS engines.The LT1 has some problems for collectors.Opti is the big one although there more oil leaks and the set up on the opti is awful.But like I said I lve my car and wouldnt sale it.If your like me you have so much into it youll never get your money back anyways.Its knowing you like your car!!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

I meant the aftermarket has to get behind it to create better demand. Your fire hawk is an LS, not an LT.

And not many people on this site keep their cars stock, modded cars are worth less than a stock one.
I still think a LT1/LT4 Firehawk and some of the collector versions would hold it's value really well....hell, there was a real low super mileage 6spd LT4 Firehawk for sale locally at a specialty collectable car dealership a while back for around $28K; and it sold.

That's true not many people on this site keep their cars stock, I have somehow resisted the temptation to mod other than a dyno tune for many years. LS1 tech is just a small sample of the most fanatic owners into performance; 95% of the cars on here are modded, that's not necessarily the case with the general public though.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

To prove my point...Hagertys collector car insurance named TWO LT1/LT4 cars as HOT future collector muscle cars. That LT4 Firehawk is one for sure, and a clean Impala SS not ghettofied on 24" donk rims in good shape will be worth something one day. Hagertys knows their isht when it come to collector cars as most people with older/valuable cars insure through them (I do).

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ar-Investments

"1997 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk LT4: This may be the rarest F-body variant. Sporting the exact same engine as a Corvette, the Firehawk LT4 was one of the rarest and fastest of 1990s muscle cars. Just 27 were built. They rarely hit the market, so pegging precise values is always tough, but we suspect that anything under 40 or 50 grand will seem like a screaming deal one day."

Last edited by ahritchie; 06-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I've already had my Z/28 for 20 years....I might not even be alive, in 10-15 more years!! Secondly, I'm thinking of selling mine NOW, since I hardly drive it anymore, so for me, I'm concerned about current worth.... ( I had a '77 Trans Am, bought in new, in the fall of '76, for $6200. Traded it off in 2001, for my Corvette. I got $8000 for it, from the Chevy dealer)

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Your right man.. I ask the older guys all the time why did they get rid of their muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's and they say "we didn't think they'll be worth anything" but the ones who held on to they're cars are really happy they did because the value sky rocketed..

My first brand new car, was a 1971 Chevelle SS 454. Bought it "off the lot" at the end of the model year, so I got a hell of a deal, which allowed me to afford it. I kept it only two years, because it didn't have power steering, and a clutch pedal that took "two men and a boy" to push in. It was a BEAST to drive, and the fun ran out after a while.....
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Yea but a run of the mill formula, trans am or z28 won't be worth crap unless its bone stock, unmolested and low miles.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea but a run of the mill formula, trans am or z28 won't be worth crap unless its bone stock, unmolested and low miles.
Well, mine's pretty stock, except for the wheels and subframe connectors, in nice shape, and has less than 80,000 miles...........
Old 06-18-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Well, mine's pretty stock, except for the wheels and subframe connectors, in nice shape, and has less than 80,000 miles...........
I think the main problem is these cars are in the "middle" right now...too old to be a 2015 relevant modern performance car in stock form (4 banger Camaros now make similar HP, 275); not old enough to be a classic yet. It's a generational thing that happens every 30 years or so....just like the 2nd Gen TAs they made SO many of compared to 4th gens, even high mileage ragged out regular Formulas and 301 late 70' TA's have been doubling and tripling in value the past 10-15 years. Only time will tell...but history does repeat itself! 3rd gens in good condition are also appreciating now.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I think the main problem is these cars are in the "middle" right now...too old to be a 2015 relevant modern performance car in stock form (4 banger Camaros now make similar HP, 275); not old enough to be a classic yet. It's a generational thing that happens every 30 years or so....just like the 2nd Gen TAs they made SO many of compared to 4th gens, even high mileage ragged out regular Formulas and 301 late 70' TA's have been doubling and tripling in value the past 10-15 years. Only time will tell...but history does repeat itself! 3rd gens in good condition are also appreciating now.

I know exactly what you mean. Certain aspects of "car collecting" are also a regional thing. For instance, as you mention, the 2nd gen F-bods were made by the boatload, but in their later years, say '76-'81, the quality had slipped, as they were cranking the out as fast as they could. In my area (north east), many of them were year round DDs, and the road salt ate them up like crazy. By the time my '77 was 10 years old, those cars were scarcer than hen's teeth, around here, and even though my car was stored during the winter, it was developing some rust issues, which pretty much caused me to sell it off.

I see the same thing with the 4th gen cars, around here. Some, like mine, were "summer only" cars, and are still in decent shape, and you still see some of them on the road, and looking nice. The rest of them, driven through the winter, are all roached out. In my case, my situation in life has changed considerably over the last 10 years, and having 2 cars and a 4x4 isn't all that practical anymore, and since I retired, I'm not putting 300 miles a week on the car anymore, so it sits a lot. No sense in it just sitting there, so I'm thinking it's time to sell. I just can't wait it out, until the value starts to swing back up....
Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes a special kind of person to appreciate an LT1 fbody. Dealing with all the headaches like the constant oil leaks that come back every 3 or so months, the problematic opti, the pesky VATS system that will leave you stranded, the bucket loads of water that leak through the T-tops. It's the 2nd SBC, it's basically a old school 350 with fuel injection and a few other goodies. They don't respond to bolt on mods as well as say the LS series. I feel they won't be of any value anytime soon because by the time they reach any value most of them will have been junked,crushed, parted out and worthless and the ones that are worth something are probably modified. Not many stock ones are on the roads anymore. My theory as to why most will be gone in 10-15 years is because now days they're going for dirt cheap prices and it's a powerful car and they get in the wrong hands like rednecks, that drive the **** off them, wreck them etc...
Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
It takes a special kind of person to appreciate an LT1 fbody. Dealing with all the headaches like the constant oil leaks that come back every 3 or so months, the problematic opti, the pesky VATS system that will leave you stranded, the bucket loads of water that leak through the T-tops.......
I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush......If you've got oil leakage problems "every three months", you're doing something wrong. The Opti, yeah that could be a problem. VATS, I haven't had a problem (knock on wood) in the 19.5 years I've had the car, and most any car that has T-Tops, eventually has leakage problems.....and that's why I didn't get them.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The same goes for any older sports car.
Buy a camry if you want something reliable.

Quick Reply: Not mine but good deal for someone, craigslist