LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ABS and BRAKE lights on, 04 malibu

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default ABS and BRAKE lights on, 04 malibu

Rather than sign up for a malibu forum, was hoping you guys could help.

2004 malibu, when I got it the ABS, Traction control, and "check vehicle" lights (not service engine) were on, yet no abs codes on autozone scanner, just a code about the broken fuel level sending unit. Checked all 4 abs cables and have 12 volts at each wheel. Ground for abs module has good continuity (0.3 ohms). Rear tires were cupping a bit and loud, and yesterday I did the rear brake pads and rotated the rear tires to the front. When I did the rear pads I forgot to uncap the brake fluid reservoir. Rear wheel bearings feel fine. Today I go to work and the traction control light and "check vehicle" lights were gone, but now my BRAKE light is on (e brake light) and ABS is still on. BRAKE light worked fine before, e brake is definitely off and a released it a few times.

A: true or false: BRAKE light serves more than just to tell you the e brake is on. If true, what else? Low fluid? Warning of some kind? Short?

2: why would the traction control light NOT be on if the abs isn't functioning properly? Doesn't it need the abs sensors?

D: could rotating the cupped loud tires, moving the loud vibrating tires to the front have anything to do with this? Perhaps a weird vibration sensed by the abs sensors, and now that its not on the rear its not affecting the traction control? Its front wheel drive, I would have thought the bad tires on the drive wheels would cause the TCS, not make it go away. All tires are the same size. I'm going to replace them all eventually but it was a free car and I'm trying to fix it as cheap as possible and sell it.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Usually the brake light being on, if the button/connection isn't faulty/brake lever engaged means low fluid. No idea about TC.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

Brake fluid level is right at max, I took off the cap and there was no pressure and the fluid didn't move or anything weird. When I turn the key to start the car with all the lights on the brake light is on, then goes off for a second when the car starts, then comes back on, without the e brake on. Its a foot brake and I pushed it all the way to the floor then slid my foot off so it snapped back hard and the light stayed on.

I'm wondering if forgetting to uncap the brake fluid reservoir then pressing the piston back in may have screwed something up? I've forgot before on other cars and never had a problem. Brakes feel fine.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the car sit a while? I have had a few newer cars that these lights would pop on if the car sat, and then after some driving they would clear themselves out. I believe it may have been due to the speed sensors or general lack of feedback from the ABS modules to the computer, but really have no clue. This happened occasionally when the car had a prolonged dead battery on an 04 Impala SS. After some local driving it cleared itself out.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Car did sit for a while, but Ive driven it about 1000 miles in the past week, and maybe its just coincidence that the TCS light went away. Maybe the ABS and brake lights will go away after another 1000.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

You need a tech2/maximus etc to read ABS/SRS stuff AFAIK.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Brake fluid level is right at max, I took off the cap and there was no pressure and the fluid didn't move or anything weird. When I turn the key to start the car with all the lights on the brake light is on, then goes off for a second when the car starts, then comes back on, without the e brake on. Its a foot brake and I pushed it all the way to the floor then slid my foot off so it snapped back hard and the light stayed on.

I'm wondering if forgetting to uncap the brake fluid reservoir then pressing the piston back in may have screwed something up? I've forgot before on other cars and never had a problem. Brakes feel fine.
Perhaps some miniscule crap from the brake line blocked the low level sensor? I dunno... Do you know if the brake light could be tied to the same circuitry as the ABS? Doesn't explain its delayed triggering, but just taking shots in the dark here. Get yourself a Haynes manual. Should be schematics in the back of the book.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gm lights the brake light along with the abs light. If it was brake light only, ebrake or low fluid are the likely culprits. Did they actually scan the abs computer? Most handheld scanners only scan the pcm/ecm. Check the big red wire/s for power to the abs module.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

I barrowed the scanner and scanned it myself, couldnt see the ABS computer, just wanted to see if it was why the "check vehicle" light was on, but that was from high voltage from the gas gage. I had 12v at all of the abs connections on the wheels, so im assuming the ABS computer has 12 volts, and I had 0.3ohms on the ground for the abs computer, at least I think that was the ground, didnt dig through all of the wire covers, it was the closest ground though. I guess next stop is a dealership and see if they can pinpiont which sensor is bad, or just buy 1 front hub and replace each one until it goes away, already have 2 rear hubs sitting in the garage.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I guess next stop is a dealership and see if they can pinpiont which sensor is bad,
Be prepared to be charged for at least an hours labor.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Screw that, if it isnt free code reading Ill just buy the part and return it if it doesnt work.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Village Troll

Call and ask. Talk to doug at trusted auto care. He's always been good to me.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Well the brake light is gone, but TCS and check vehicle are back. Abs pulses barely when you first start moving after its been off.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 AM
12 Second Club

Brake light is back, wondering if it has something to do with ambient temps now, these past 2 cool mornings it shows brake, hot afternoons it shows TCS. Funny thing is the code I pulled was for the gas gage, which I thought was the cause of the "check vehicle" light of a car with a wrench in it, but it shows full and empty now when the brake light is on and it doesn't throw the car/wrench light, so I think the TCS causes that light, but no codes for TCS or ABS on a parts store scanner. When I start the car the brake light goes out then comes back after 1 second, gas gage drops to empty after 10-20 minutes. ABS only pulses when TCS light is on, and it only does it briefly when you first put it in drive, no other times, my Yukon with the ABS light pulses every time you slowed to 5mph slowly. Ill call Trusted Auto Care next week and see what they say, or just swap front bearings and see which stops it. The ABS pulsing says to me that its not the ABS module.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 06-25-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you clean the sensors? When they get grimmed up with metal, they do funky stuff. Also, check that there are no cracks etc in the reluctor wheels. They cause fun issues.

Had a tow truck that would throw an abs light only in cold weather. Dealer kept replacing wheel speed sensors then finally claimed it was the tow package. Found one fuse would lose contact with the pin when the temp was under 60 degrees ambient. It was a fun one to find.

Quick Reply: ABS and BRAKE lights on, 04 malibu