LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

P.o.s. 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P.o.s. 4l60e

i am starting to feel quite disheartened. heres why, please bare with me through my sob story, i bought my 95 z28 with 57k miles, from the second owner who bought it with 7k miles. when i first got the car i put it to the floor a few times and it wouldnt shift at WOT. i thought this was normal and stopped doing it because it felt like i was killing my car. well now ill get to it im sitting at 62k miles and my trans is fkin TRASHED. my tq converter is letting go if i give it too much gas at a green light. i cant be on the gas hardly at all when getting ready to shift into second, i basically have no second gear, if i give it too much gas it slips out of gear and grinds and makes me cringe, now 3rd is slipping and so is 4th and smells like burnt clutch. i changed the fluid and the shift solenoids 1k miles ago hoping it would do something, it didnt. and now my new trans fluid looks like dirty engine oil! one problem after another with this car and its getting to me. car is in mint condition to. always garage kept and supposedly "properly" maintained, apparently not

and thats my story thank you for reading, so i probly need a new trans, probly very soon. i was looking at monster trans but they have more than a few horror stories. im open to any suggestions. anything AT ALL. dont have much for cash either so im on a budget
Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trashed my fair share of 4L60E's over the years, first one went at 105k but the more mods, the faster I killed them.

It sucks but if your car is that clean I would do my best to get it built by a reputable shop but keep in mind your future plans for the car so you can get the trans up to snuff.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i was going to swap a t-56 but i dont have that kinda cash and time considering its my dd, so id like to get a remaned 4l60e and pull mine out and take a stab at rebuilding it myself. dont wanna try it unless i already replaced my trans though because last thing i need it to screw up the rebuild and be without a car. anyone know of a good place to get a budget rebuild? id like to spend no more than 1700, not sure if thats a pipe dream though
Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Let me give some good advice on making a 4l60e last.

1. Service it. I put Lucas trans additive in as well.
2. Don't let the transmission downshift itself when you floor it. Double downshift has been the death of so many.
3. Big, effiecent transmission cooler is the best aid in the world. Be sure to mount it where it gets real airflow.
4. Don't be turning up the line pressure real high via tuning. No reason to on a stock/high mileage trans.
5. Don't be doing burnouts and letting the car continuously shift itself from 1st to 2nd, back to 1st, back to 2nd.
6. Give the trans time to cool down between passes. Heat is the enemy.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

To add to Prototype007, absolutely keep it filled on the high side.
And if you pull your tranny your self you absolutely can have a good shop build it for $1700
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

those r some good tips i appreciate it. what exactly is double downshift? i dont think iv done that, also once i get a new tranny i was going to install a cooler, also never messed with the pressure. dont even know what that would do! another question, iv seen on craigslist some 4l60es for cheappppp. like 300 bucks. but one is out of a 94 blazer would that fit? id obviously have it rebuilt before dropping it in im just curious, tryin to save some cash! also should i add that addittive now? or is it too late
Old 07-03-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone have or know anyone with experience with monster transmissions? im very weary but there price is good http://www.monstertransmission.com/4...l#.VZasyvlVikp
Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

If you can google for their prices you can google for their multiple angry customer reports.

Check out North Texas Converters or Jakes if you wanna try to stay in TX with it.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on building the car up in the future I would look at a different trans, like a TH350/400 or a 4L80e if you want the OD.

I know a lot of people will chime in with their success stories and disagree while waving pitchforks and point out all the sponsors with built level 9,000 4L60s good for a million HP, but honestly 4L60s are **** for built cars. Once you are ~450rwhp if you car sees a lot of hard miles and track time I would weigh the cost of a built 4L60e to just swapping to a better trans. Yea the smaller trans may be a little quicker and eat less power, but a 4L60e will become a wear item once you start making power...and who wants to have to refresh their trans every year for maintenance???

If I had a powerful street car I would look right at a 4L80 from somewhere like Jakes and you will most likely never have to worry about your trans setup again unless you change up your build and need a new stall.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
those r some good tips i appreciate it. what exactly is double downshift? i dont think iv done that, also once i get a new tranny i was going to install a cooler, also never messed with the pressure. dont even know what that would do! another question, iv seen on craigslist some 4l60es for cheappppp. like 300 bucks. but one is out of a 94 blazer would that fit? id obviously have it rebuilt before dropping it in im just curious, tryin to save some cash! also should i add that addittive now? or is it too late
DON"T buy a used trans!!! Also, only for your model and year. See, torque arm mount and specific components and electronics.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

You are better off getting your transmission rebuilt at a reputable transmission shop that will give you some kind of warranty. Should be cheaper than buying a brand new transmission. I only paid $1400 when I got my transmission rebuilt. Make sure you add a transmission cooler too.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OP, don't be too intimidated by digging into a transmission yourself. Pick up an ATSG and give it a go. I would suggest Probuilt Automatics for a DIY kit (~$700). Understanding the DD conundrum, I would find another decent running LS 4L60E, swap it, and build the one that comes out of yours.

Edit: I forgot this was the LTX section and not the transmission section, disregard the "LS" 4L60E.

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 07-04-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
OP, don't be too intimidated by digging into a transmission yourself. Pick up an ATSG and give it a go. I would suggest Probuilt Automatics for a DIY kit (~$700). Understanding the DD conundrum, I would find another decent running LS 4L60E, swap it, and build the one that comes out of yours.
i would love to do this, i can get a used tranny from a 95 camaro from a scrap yard for 200 bucks. my car doesnt see the track and i dont plan on doing much else performance wise untill im out of the military so for now ill stick with what i got pretty much, dont have the tools and time to do anything too crazy. and to 94FBIRD i dont race it and it doesnt see the track YET, probly wont for quite a while. need this car to last and not break more stuff lol. i do enjoy puttin the pedal to the metal on the highway though, thats about it. since i managed to trash this trans in the 6 months i had it i wont be doin burnouts and **** like that anymore. so i dont think buyin a used tranny is too bad of an idea if the price is right. my only worry is when and if i start rebuilding my trans either myself or by a shop, im worried that my trans is so far gone ill need more than clutches and stuff. i have a feeling i need the actual hardware because it makes some terrible noises in first and second gear if im giving it too much gas...btw thanks for all the input guys i always appreciate others opinions. right now i just need a trans that shifts. not gonnna beat on it like i did this one till i have one that is bullet proof. might consider the 4l80e in the future but for now i cant do much for fabrication and modding so im stickin with stock
Old 07-04-2015, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish you luck. I've just seen a lot of people get burned on used transmissions, even from junkyards with 'warranties.' Which is usually 7 days/150 miles. Not enough time to see if they really are reliable. But enough time for a junkyard to say, "It worked when we sold it."
Old 07-04-2015, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks but if your car is that clean
Old 07-04-2015, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
i would love to do this, i can get a used tranny from a 95 camaro from a scrap yard for 200 bucks. my car doesnt see the track and i dont plan on doing much else performance wise untill im out of the military so for now ill stick with what i got pretty much, dont have the tools and time to do anything too crazy. and to 94FBIRD i dont race it and it doesnt see the track YET, probly wont for quite a while. need this car to last and not break more stuff lol. i do enjoy puttin the pedal to the metal on the highway though, thats about it. since i managed to trash this trans in the 6 months i had it i wont be doin burnouts and **** like that anymore. so i dont think buyin a used tranny is too bad of an idea if the price is right. my only worry is when and if i start rebuilding my trans either myself or by a shop, im worried that my trans is so far gone ill need more than clutches and stuff. i have a feeling i need the actual hardware because it makes some terrible noises in first and second gear if im giving it too much gas...btw thanks for all the input guys i always appreciate others opinions. right now i just need a trans that shifts. not gonnna beat on it like i did this one till i have one that is bullet proof. might consider the 4l80e in the future but for now i cant do much for fabrication and modding so im stickin with stock
Pick that one up to keep driving and rebuild yours on the bench. If you're planning serious mods later on, I'd forgo the 4L60E in favor of a 4L80E or TH400.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Th400 best mod i ever did
Old 07-06-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

A T-56 adds actually increases the value of the car along with increased durability, mileage, fun factor, acceleration, top speed and handling capabilities.....rebuilt stock auto in the other hand.... highly questionable for all of the above. Take your pick!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

A 4L60e built by a reputable shop/individual is plenty enough for probably about 90-95% of the people on the LTx forums. The devil is in the details though since about 90-95% of the cars in the LTx section are heads/cam or cam-only, and about 90-95% of trans shops can't seem to build a 4L60 if their life depended on it. So if you plan on exceeding what the majority of the cars on here put down or not going to a REPUTABLE 4l60 builder, you're better off just swapping in a TH400/4L80 since making either of those hold power is no where near as tricky. Problem is either of those trans do come with drawbacks in the forms of street manners/luxuries(TH400) or cost(4L80).
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ahritchie
A T-56 adds actually increases the value of the car along with increased durability, mileage, fun factor, acceleration, top speed and handling capabilities.....rebuilt stock auto in the other hand.... highly questionable for all of the above. Take your pick!
Problem is that a T56 will add complexity and cost to his repair over even some of the highest priced 4L60e options. Last I checked (which admittedly was a while ago) a full T56 swap is around $1200 and then you're still stuck with replacing the clutch unless you want to run whatever the used trans came with ($300-$1000), improper rear gearing ($300-400), uncalibrated speedo which means you need a tune ($200-$500), and all the little odds ends (assume atleast another couple hundred bucks because nothing ever goes as smooth as it does in your head). When you add it all together its over $2000 easily if you want to do it right and still that's assuming he does all the work.

These days, with the current price of 4th gens, unless you're emotionally attached to your vehicle or too heavily invested in it you're better off selling it and buying a car that came with the equipment you want.

Last edited by myltwon; 07-06-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: P.o.s. 4l60e