LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where did that 6th gear shake come from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where did that 6th gear shake come from?

Well I was cruising at 70 on the highway in 6th and I gave it a little gas, and the engine shaked a very generous amount. The shifter shook as well. I quickly looked at Scanmaster and there are no DTC codes and the BLMs were not jacked up or split. Others gears did NOT shake at all.

I also drove in 6th at a slower speed with the same results. Then all of a sudden, the shaking in 6th was totally gone. Again I checked Scanmaster and saw nothing abnormal.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my plug wires went bad it was a all of a sudden thing that showed itself in 6th on the highway like yours.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Does it feel like a miss?

I had a miss one time under heavy load in 6th gear. Cruising in 6th gear at 60mph, then just floor it and it would start missing. Only under that condition.

Changed plug wires, my ignition coil, and ICM(changed coil and ICM too since they were ~15 years old).

That fixed the problem. I'm fairly certain it was a bad plug wire. I hated that set of wires....the most hateful things I have ever tried to put on a spark plug.

Went back to AC Delco wires.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-06-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

Mine also shakes a little in 6th when the RPM's are under 1800/1900. Mine will only shake when there is very little load on the engine, like driving down a flat road with no hills where I just need to barely touch the gas pedal to maintain speed. If I apply light load it goes away, if I get above 1800 RPM it smooths out. I just wrote it off as cam surge but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Does it feel like a miss?

I had a miss one time under heavy load in 6th gear. Cruising in 6th gear at 60mph, then just floor it and it would start missing. Only under that condition.

Changed plug wires, my ignition coil, and ICM(changed coil and ICM too since they were ~15 years old).

That fixed the problem. I'm fairly certain it was a bad plug wire. I hated that set of wires....the most hateful things I have ever tried to put on a spark plug.

Went back to AC Delco wires.
I would say yes...a miss. Funny that it was totally undetectable by shifting to 5th. So when its doing it in 6th, its very very obvious...severe shaking. Cant see it being a fuel related miss but who knows, maybe some debris clogged an injector for a 10 minute period in time.

When I drove home from work that day last week, no shaking at all in 6th...smooth as silk. When time permits, I will go in and check all the puts and grease the terminals. Might be worth replacing the wires since they have been on since 2007 IIRC. Unfortunately, they are custom length OVC wires that I built back then.

So on that note, is anyone producing OVC wire sets preferably made from MSD super conductor wires? Ive been out of the community for quite some time.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My issue appeared out of nowhere(like someone flipped a switch). I was driving to my brother's home(it was just fine), then on my way back home it started misfiring only in 6th under high load. WOT in other gears was just fine.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I would say yes...a miss. Funny that it was totally undetectable by shifting to 5th. So when its doing it in 6th, its very very obvious...severe shaking. Cant see it being a fuel related miss but who knows, maybe some debris clogged an injector for a 10 minute period in time.

When I drove home from work that day last week, no shaking at all in 6th...smooth as silk. When time permits, I will go in and check all the puts and grease the terminals. Might be worth replacing the wires since they have been on since 2007 IIRC. Unfortunately, they are custom length OVC wires that I built back then.

So on that note, is anyone producing OVC wire sets preferably made from MSD super conductor wires? Ive been out of the community for quite some time.

Thanks
I've been trying to find them as well. The website that used to sell them http://www.ccperformanceparts.com/ is all messed up right now. I called them and no reply. I also emailed the guy on eBay that sells them cause it says there is a 3 week backorder, no reply. I got on Summit and you can order everything to make the kit yourself, but it adds up to about $185.

I'm on the fence with that or giving these a try https://performancedistributors.com/...let-livewires/
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same type of issue happened to me. All of a sudden felt slight power loss with the described 6th gear shake.

Dropped it by a buddies who has a lift with new plugs and wires...convinced it was Opti related. Calls me back saying number 7 wire is hanging free and plug 8 is backing out of head. All plugs were in pretty much finger tight. Just bought the car and the previous owner said a garage had done a plug job a couple years back and that he barely drove the car since.

Having been told this , this is what made me think Opti instead of plug and wires, but it shows you need to look everything over. Start simple and work deeper.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 AM

I just wrote it off as cam surge but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

my bird shakes bad between 55-65mph in o/d, any kind of acceleration makes it worse. Just started doing it with about 2000 miles on the build. Car runs real strong up top and I cant hear a miss at idle.. not sure what my deal is

Quick Reply: Where did that 6th gear shake come from?