LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Malf 36: Opti Fail... AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malf 36: Opti Fail... AGAIN!!!

Looking for some guidance here fellas... I'm currently running a "Cardone" brand Opti, installed last summer, this one has roughly 1000 miles on it.

Driving Sunday, car is running great (first time out this summer) at a red light after driving for about 45 minutes, and the engine dies. Try to restart, but it won't fire. Tow it home, scan, Malf 36.

I tried starting it again yesterday, fired right up and I had it idling in the garage for about 20 minutes, purred like a kitten, smooth idle...

Here's where I'm a little confused... When I've had Opti's die out in the past (and I've had a few) they usually die out with a bang! Misfire, kicking, bucking, etc... They either work, or they don't (in my experience). Odd that this one died out (after running beautifully), and now it's working again.

Has anyone else been in this boat? Just looking for some insight before I go cough up more $$$ for another Opti.

Oh, one thing to add which may or may not be related... About 20 minutes into the 45 minute drive Sunday, my ABS light came on. Brakes worked fine, and I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but thought I'd make mention.

Thanks to all in advance!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Looking for some guidance here fellas... I'm currently running a "Cardone" brand Opti, installed last summer, this one has roughly 1000 miles on it.

Driving Sunday, car is running great (first time out this summer) at a red light after driving for about 45 minutes, and the engine dies. Try to restart, but it won't fire. Tow it home, scan, Malf 36.

I tried starting it again yesterday, fired right up and I had it idling in the garage for about 20 minutes, purred like a kitten, smooth idle...

Here's where I'm a little confused... When I've had Opti's die out in the past (and I've had a few) they usually die out with a bang! Misfire, kicking, bucking, etc... They either work, or they don't (in my experience). Odd that this one died out (after running beautifully), and now it's working again.

Has anyone else been in this boat? Just looking for some insight before I go cough up more $$$ for another Opti.

Oh, one thing to add which may or may not be related... About 20 minutes into the 45 minute drive Sunday, my ABS light came on. Brakes worked fine, and I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but thought I'd make mention.

Thanks to all in advance!
I had similar issues before with a Autozone "duralast gold" optispark, first was a dud DOA, second one "worked" technically, 99.5% of the time for 1000 miles, (it had sporadic misfires once every 10-20 mins), then it started having hard starting issues when hot, then it took a complete dump with your typical opti induced mega backfires when it died for good and I was getting puffs of smoke coming from the intake. The problem is with the parts store cheap optisparks....they all have a much shorter life span than GM and are all pretty much garbage. I've had good luck with the MSD, but can't really speak to it's longevity (going on 1000 miles on my rebuilt one, running better than ever), they will rebuild it if it has issues for a fee. It's a good idea to upgrade to a vented opti if your's does't have one already.

As for the ABS, probably random and unrelated...mine comes one every now and then for no good reason and goes away by itself
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

have you tried a different icm? mine would do similar things like yours as far as shutting down etc even an occasional backfire.. put in a new icm and it ran great for years... now my opti is replaced but it had 157k on the original and was worn out
Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Code 36 is opti hi res signal problems. Could be the harness going to the opti, but most likely is the poor soldering for the hi res signal board in that cheap opti.

Use the Buick Know how Video for the LT1 Opti to check your signals.

Always best to diagnose before buying parts, but I think you need to get an Delphi or AC Delco opti unit and call it a day.

You'll need to get it scanned for ABS codes....I think this can do it for your 94.
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...95-lt1-874306/
Old 07-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input fellas!

Mackdaddy, I'm still running the stock ICM, and with the research I've done, it almost seems like the ICM could be the culprit here... Given the fact that the motor just died, and is now running again. No sputtering/kicking/bucking/rough idle, etc. symptoms like I've experienced with a bad Opti...

Last edited by Dadic 78; 07-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

too bad you didn't live somewhere close to me... my old opti was worn out and had gotten oil in it... just a little bit, but the electronics were still working fine and I have a opti harness with maybe 300 miles on it... would just let you have it

Quick Reply: Malf 36: Opti Fail... AGAIN!!!