LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Steam pipe question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steam pipe question?

So on my build, a random user from FB group pointed out that I need a steampipe port added to my griffin radiator.
Link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gr...FQ4paQodejIDew

While at the same time users have also ran LT1 on other custom rads and did not add the extra port. He also said he did not have any heat issues either.

My question is can I run the steam pipe into a catch can or vent it to the atmosphere? I dont have heat either btw.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Catch can or vent would just **** coolant everywhere.

Add a port in radiator, or T it into a coolant line.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you tee it into a coolant hose, make sure is is a hose returning flow to the radiator. Those people that are not using the steam line are circumventing an important part of the LT1 reverse flow system. General overheating is not the criteria for using the steam line. It is to keep the cylinder heads evenly cooled by preventing steam pockets from forming as the coolant goes from the front of the head to the back. Even cooling is better for performance and engine life.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Catch can or vent would just **** coolant everywhere.

Add a port in radiator, or T it into a coolant line.
Ok. Will do.

But why wouldnt the catch can idea work?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
If you tee it into a coolant hose, make sure is is a hose returning flow to the radiator. Those people that are not using the steam line are circumventing an important part of the LT1 reverse flow system. General overheating is not the criteria for using the steam line. It is to keep the cylinder heads evenly cooled by preventing steam pockets from forming as the coolant goes from the front of the head to the back. Even cooling is better for performance and engine life.
Thanks for explaining. So just make sure its going to the outlet stream. Gotcha
Old 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Ok. Will do.

But why wouldnt the catch can idea work?
You would eventually fill it and then what?

Coolant needs to be recirculated and its a closed loop system, aside from overflow if you ditch the stock style.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Duhhh. Lol Thanks bro!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I used that exact radiator and just got done the install along with a EWP. I had a shop drill a hole and weld a bung to accept a 3/8 NPT to 3/8" barb brass fitting. I also needed to open up the bottom left corner threaded hole to a 5/8" NPT to 5/8" barb brass fitting for the oil coolant line.

OP, you can PM me your number and I can text you some pics I took of the modifications I made.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Next question. Im not taking the rad out cuz I'd haf to take the turbo back off(I am not taking the turbo off again ) so if I tap into the coolant hoses for the steam pipe, do i tap into incoming track to the water pump or do I tap into the out going tract to the rad?

I was thinking the outgoing to the rad idea because it'd seem like if I ran it to the incoming track to the water pump, it could possibly send air pockets through the water pump.

Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran mine into the heater return hose. GM did it that way on one of the different cooling options on an F body. mine has been like this for over 1000 miles of daily driving in 100 plus degree heat in the desert and I have not had any problems. you can reference the diagrams on SHbox's website to see which is the return from the heater core. and a T for the heater hose is available from Oreilly's for either 5/8" or 3/4" depending on what pump you are using. I am running a vette pump so I have a 3/4" heater hose.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Next question. Im not taking the rad out cuz I'd haf to take the turbo back off(I am not taking the turbo off again ) so if I tap into the coolant hoses for the steam pipe, do i tap into incoming track to the water pump or do I tap into the out going tract to the rad?

I was thinking the outgoing to the rad idea because it'd seem like if I ran it to the incoming track to the water pump, it could possibly send air pockets through the water pump.

Thoughts?
Answered in post #3.

Originally Posted by shbox
If you tee it into a coolant hose, make sure is is a hose returning flow to the radiator.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man reading is fundamental ^^^^^
Old 07-15-2015, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superspirit
I ran mine into the heater return hose. GM did it that way on one of the different cooling options on an F body. mine has been like this for over 1000 miles of daily driving in 100 plus degree heat in the desert and I have not had any problems. you can reference the diagrams on SHbox's website to see which is the return from the heater core. and a T for the heater hose is available from Oreilly's for either 5/8" or 3/4" depending on what pump you are using. I am running a vette pump so I have a 3/4" heater hose.
Thanks. I dont have heat or AC, so i'll just haf to run it the long way to the outlet of the water pump tract to the rad.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a blue 32mm / 1.25" Coolant temp sensor Tee off Ebay & found an 1/8npt 3/8 barb fitting to tee in the push loc hose I used with AN fittings... The stock steam pipe had pin holes all in it So I went that route... Works Great so far on the S10 ext cab SAS 4x4
They have pretty much any color youd want!!!

Quick Reply: Steam pipe question?