LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broken Arp flywheel bolts what's causes this?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Arp flywheel bolts what's causes this?!

The motor is just past 1000 miles and this is the 2nd time I had to pull the trans because of the rear main leaking still. But this time when I went to unbolt the flywheel 3 bolt heads snapped off with almost zero effort. I torqued to 74ftlb's. What did I do wrong? The first time I used loctite, the second time I used nothing just made sure the threads were clean.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Either bad batch of bolts or worked themselves loose somehow.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are super critical bolts. I'd get in touch with ARP either for a replacement set or to send yours back to inspect for manufacturing defects. Are those 200-2807? I have them on my FW, IIRC SS RRR has them too.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Village Troll

I am not sure of the part number, but yes, I do have ARP's. IIRC there is a difference in the bolt head size between flywheel and flexplate.

OP,

Any signs of bolt holes being marked up or out of round?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

OP if you look at the broken bolts with a magnifying glass a entirely uniform looking end with maybe a twist to it will indicate a clean break when you loosened it. If you see any dark areas on the edge of the break, that would indicate a pre-existing crack. I doubt 3 bolts would be cracked though. Could you post a pic(s) of the ends of the broken bolts?

Last edited by guppymech; 07-22-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

are you experiencing any vibration from your new motor?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

The bolts are 200-208 and I contacted arp and there sending me replacements. Ive never seen bolts break like this. Top 2 youll notice do have some black scaring on them

Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I am not sure of the part number, but yes, I do have ARP's. IIRC there is a difference in the bolt head size between flywheel and flexplate.

OP,

Any signs of bolt holes being marked up or out of round?
As soon as i get this flywheel off thats now gonna be a pain the *** to remove, thats the first thing im doing is check the roundness of the hole.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
OP

are you experiencing any vibration from your new motor?
By vibration what do you mean? the cars very stiff so i experience lots of vibrations. If you are referring to the rotating assembly, I had it balanced at the machine shop prior to install of the current parts im using.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Village Troll

A loose flywheel would cause vibration. Did you ever rev the engine while the car was stopped and feel anything?

That part number doesn't pull anything up.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

A loose flywheel would cause vibration. Did you ever rev the engine while the car was stopped and feel anything?

Whoops I meant 200-2807
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Whoops I meant 200-2807 and no not that I noticed. Do you put your flywheel bolts in dry? Or do use loctite or moly lube
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Village Troll

Both. Haven't had issues either way.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

What kind of FW are you using and do the bolt holes have a chamfer? The ARP bolts have a fairly generous radius from the head to the shank, bolts made this way need a chamfer on the edge of the bolt hole (or washer in other applications) for clearance. You'll notice the bolts in you 2nd pic have the bolt head to shank radius scared up. This will happen when they are installed without the proper chamfer on the edge of the bolt hole. If this is the case, which is hard to tell from here, the bolt will be loaded improperly.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by guppymech
What kind of FW are you using and do the bolt holes have a chamfer? The ARP bolts have a fairly generous radius from the head to the shank, bolts made this way need a chamfer on the edge of the bolt hole (or washer in other applications) for clearance. You'll notice the bolts in you 2nd pic have the bolt head to shank radius scared up. This will happen when they are installed without the proper chamfer on the edge of the bolt hole. If this is the case, which is hard to tell from here, the bolt will be loaded improperly.
I have a ram alluminum flywheel. When I get home I'm pulling the flywheel off so I'll check the holes. So would it help to have washers then, if that's the case ?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kumaro95
I have a ram alluminum flywheel. When I get home I'm pulling the flywheel off so I'll check the holes. So would it help to have washers then, if that's the case ?
No I wouldn't use washers in this instance as GM didn't. I would put a small chamfer on the FW bolt holes if Ram didn't. The ARP bolt heads should sit flat on the FW flange, if they are hitting on the bolt head radius they will stand proud of the FW. Either you can chamfer the bolt holes or a machine shop could do it, it wouldn't take much. Keep in mind the small washer face on the underside of the bolt head that bears on the FW.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

No I wouldn't use washers in this instance as GM didn't. I would put a small chamfer on the FW bolt holes if Ram didn't. The ARP bolt heads should sit flat on the FW flange, if they are hitting on the bolt head radius they will stand proud of the FW. Either you can chamfer the bolt holes or a machine shop could do it, it wouldn't take much. Keep in mind the small washer face on the underside of the bolt head that bears on the FW.
Alright well first off any ideas to get this thing off. My blowproof bell housing is making things more difficult

Old 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Spray some form of penetrant on the crankshaft to FW area. Reinstall a couple FW bolts loosely to prevent the FW from popping off the crank and on to the floor. Pry on it on the backside or remove the starter and tap on it with a soft drift then spin the engine and repeat.
Previously did you use red loctite on the bolts?

Looks like the FW bolt holes are chamfered enough.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Spray some form of penetrant on the crankshaft to FW area. Reinstall a couple FW bolts loosely to prevent the FW from popping off the crank and on to the floor. Pry on it on the backside or remove the starter and tap on it with a soft drift then spin the engine and repeat.
Previously did you use red loctite on the bolts?

Looks like the FW bolt holes are chamfered enough.
I got it out. How do I determine if the bolt holes are out of round?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the bolts from? China likes to knock stuff off.

Quick Reply: Broken Arp flywheel bolts what's causes this?!