LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition Lock Cylinder Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Lock Cylinder Issue

I did a search but nobody seems to be having the same issue I am it almost reverse of everybody else.

My cylinder will turn to crank just fine and the car runs and drives great. But when I park it and try to take the key out, the cylinder gets stuck at the position right before release. But it will always turn right back to crank just fine.

Then after awhile of sitting I will be able to turn the cylinder back to release and remove the key. It doesn't happen every time I turn the car off either. I'm thinking something in the cylinder itself is messed up? But before I rip the column apart does anybody have an input?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Release the rod from the ignition switch (on the lower part of the column) and see if the problem persists. It now turns freely, the switch is hanging it up (which would be my first guess). Contacts in the switch tend to get burnt up, then can distort and cause it to jam. The part of it working after cooling down may mean clearances in the switch relax enough for it to slide again.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Release the rod from the ignition switch (on the lower part of the column) and see if the problem persists. It now turns freely, the switch is hanging it up (which would be my first guess). Contacts in the switch tend to get burnt up, then can distort and cause it to jam. The part of it working after cooling down may mean clearances in the switch relax enough for it to slide again.
Ok I'll into it. When I started it on Saturday the security light was came on. But the car runs and drives fine. Every time I start it now the light is on but it still runs and drives just fine. So I may be better off just changing the lock cylinder as well. But I'll check out the switch before I do anything.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Cylinder Issue