LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which aluminum heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which aluminum heads?

What aluminum heads have you used and what did you like/hate about them? I was looking at a set of afr 195s but not sure if that's the head I like. Current setup is cc306 cam and gm dual plane intake with holley 750 dp.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock ported should work good for that set up. AI and LE do some good work.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never personally met any LT1 owner running AFR heads. They seem to enjoy having the fantasy of having them "one day" more so than spending the money.

My Dart 180's have served another friend and I well but we got them for a steal due to an advertising error. I know two others that used the 200's, one on a 383 and another on a 397. The 383 was kind of a fudged together turd and the 397 IIRC did about the same as mildly worked stock castings (with stock valve size). I would look elsewhere before considering paying what they go for now especially after the stunt they pulled with the aftermarket block.

Ported stockers vary a lot in $$$ and quality but seem to be the most cost effective. If the guy who did mine was still local I would have used him again over the Darts for sure.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I was looking at doing a set of stock casting aluminum but the cost doesn't seem far off. I can get a set of AFR 195 for 1800. LE 2 cost 1300 plus I have to find a set of aluminum heads. So if a set of stock castings cost me 200 and the port work cost me 1300 then I don't see spending the other 300 that far off. But I guess thats not an apples to apples comparison considering the LE2 flow 205cc and the AFR flow 195. Aside from performance I'm also looking for a slight design/weight/aesthetic improvement. Also fond of the dual pattern valve cover bolt pattern on the afrs. Opens up a new world of valve cover options. Right now I run a set of fully ported and polished iron castings with bigger valves and beehive springs. Port work is awesome but I would like to switch over to aluminum heads to take some weight off the front end but also feel the CNC work would flow better.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A set of ported factory castings from AI or LE with good valvetrain parts will easily outperform any out-of-the-box aftermarket casting, and for less money.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aftermarket heads are good because they allow more porting and different valve angles, out of the box they will not outperform a well ported stock head. Even then the benefits are limited unless running a very aggressive n/a setup or power adder.

Not to mention most aftermarket heads come with pretty mediocre springs so you'll have to factor new ones into the cost most likely.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have any leads on some aluminum 2.02 fuelie camel hump heads? I heard those add 100hp just putting them near the car in the garage, 200hp if you put a cast 3.75" stroke crank next to them.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Myltwon - So at what point would you recommend going with an aftermarket head vs a stock ported?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Probably worth looking at when hunting for 9s NA with a stroker, but even that has been done with ported stock castings....................
Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When buying used aluminum stockers always check the head bolt holes for cracks!!! With a dual plane GMPP intake I would find a good set of stock LT1 heads & send them off to AI but thats just Me...
Now if I were buildin a 383 or 396 stroker I would find a good deal on Dart Pro 1s & get 200cc heads or larger Then send off for Porting & bigger valves & springs!!! But thats for a fully ported LT1 stock intake or Single Plane build in My opinion!!!
You can find good stock or ported heads on here pretty easy!!! Hope My Ramblin helps...
Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
I was looking at doing a set of stock casting aluminum but the cost doesn't seem far off. I can get a set of AFR 195 for 1800. LE 2 cost 1300 plus I have to find a set of aluminum heads. So if a set of stock castings cost me 200 and the port work cost me 1300 then I don't see spending the other 300 that far off. But I guess thats not an apples to apples comparison considering the LE2 flow 205cc and the AFR flow 195. Aside from performance I'm also looking for a slight design/weight/aesthetic improvement. Also fond of the dual pattern valve cover bolt pattern on the afrs. Opens up a new world of valve cover options. Right now I run a set of fully ported and polished iron castings with bigger valves and beehive springs. Port work is awesome but I would like to switch over to aluminum heads to take some weight off the front end but also feel the CNC work would flow better.
195 and 205 are the intake runner sizes. That's not their flow rates. The larger runners can flow more IF the engine can actually use it. With a proper built CC306 engine, the 205cc runners should work good.

The $300 more could actually perform worse. Plenty of guys here running stock ported with 400+ to the wheels.

Also, IIRC the LE2 comes with springs and valves. Do the AFR's?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

My main focus wasn't the cost but more just getting a good product for the money spent that allows for growth in the future. Right now I'm torn between a turbo build or a nitrous setup. Nitrous would be the easiest to transition too. Current setup would be a good starting point as far as the bottom end goes. But would love to go with a set of aluminum heads and maybe upgrade the rods. If I go turbo I need to replace the complete bottom end and cam and would also like to upgrade the heads. Looking at AI's site for a set of 200 cc heads they want 1800 for machine work alone and I would need to locate a set of castings. The trickflow option doesn't look bad. 195 cc new trickflow for 2200 but I can get a new set of afr 210 for that price or a set of 195cc for 1800. Just didn't know if purchasing a ready to go head and bolting them on and going is better than stock castings reworked for the same price. And I'm not sure how much more a AI 195 head outflows a 195 afr head. Prices are very close to consider one cheaper than the other. If I buy a set of used castings and have a flaw that requires work to fix that cost will easily push be beyond and savings.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Yes the afrs come fully assembled and ready to bolt on.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

and AFR has had issues with junk chinese rocker studs and as others already said the springs may not match what you need.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

The 210s come with arp rocker arm studs and dual valve springs for up to .710 lift but they do not states who makes the springs. I could call and ask.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

AI uses Nextek springs but don't say anything about studs. I'm sure they use quality stuff.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You seem pretty set on AFRs so pull the trigger and post some real world results. Worst case scenario people on the internet will criticize you for not taking their advice.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running TFS 21 degree heads. Ported by lloyd elliott with a matching cam. No numbers yet with my new engine, but it is very similar to a couple other guys on here running very low 11s na.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
My main focus wasn't the cost but more just getting a good product for the money spent that allows for growth in the future. Right now I'm torn between a turbo build or a nitrous setup. Nitrous would be the easiest to transition too. Current setup would be a good starting point as far as the bottom end goes. But would love to go with a set of aluminum heads and maybe upgrade the rods. If I go turbo I need to replace the complete bottom end and cam and would also like to upgrade the heads. Looking at AI's site for a set of 200 cc heads they want 1800 for machine work alone and I would need to locate a set of castings. The trickflow option doesn't look bad. 195 cc new trickflow for 2200 but I can get a new set of afr 210 for that price or a set of 195cc for 1800. Just didn't know if purchasing a ready to go head and bolting them on and going is better than stock castings reworked for the same price. And I'm not sure how much more a AI 195 head outflows a 195 afr head. Prices are very close to consider one cheaper than the other. If I buy a set of used castings and have a flaw that requires work to fix that cost will easily push be beyond and savings.
What exactly is the bottom end build? Forged? Stroked? Etc.?

Check out this thread for a good reference in comparison to all the options out there. Looks like you really can't go wrong.

I think what should be addressed is your selection of camshaft...... Go custom.

If you plan on boost in the future, the AFR's are a good selection or TFS. Only because you can get bigger chambers to drop compression, but still keep quench tight. But, the larger chamber will hurt performance until that happens, plus you'll need a different cam, injectors, etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say AI is the best bet with your setup. They seem to nearly always yield great results. Now. If you were building a big CI LT1, you'd be kidding yourself if you thought a ported lt1 head could flow as well as ported AFR's or Trickflows. Those AI ported TFS have shown 510+ rwhp on a very streetable HR setup. And that was with an lt1 intake, 93 PCM.

Quick Reply: Which aluminum heads?