LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just bought a 94 Formula for 500 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought a 94 Formula for 500 bucks

So I have lurked here for a year or two, even though this is my first fbody. I've always loved them but been waiting for a deal like this. So today I finally made an account. My moms friend had this 94 formula hardtop with 6 speed, basically my dream fbody. It has plenty of issues, including the optispark and the water pump being out of the car. I've since gotten the optispark back in and a new battery and fixed a wiring issue, and the car turns over. I couldn't get the fuel pump to prime though, so I went ahead and cut the trap door in the trunk after testing the pump with a battery directly to the small wiring harness on the unit. No prime. So I'm 90% sure it's the fuel pump that's bad. Any other reason why it wouldn't work when directly connecting it?

The car has 180k miles, but the body looks decent, and the interior is a 8/10, mainly just a crack in the dash and headliner falling out. Paint is fading but no rust and the only body damage is a few cracks in the plastic front bits. All in all I'm happy with it, just getting antsy and ready to drive it. Thanks all, and any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Launching!

sounds like a pretty decent deal, post up some pics when you get a chance.

You're on the right track it sounds like, if you're not sure how long it sat i'd check out all the fluids (including the gas) and take a look at your plugs and wires, it could well need a tuneup

Congrats on the buy!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a one wire fuel pump test connector that comes out of the wiring harness by the computer, on pass side fenderwell. Apply 12V on it and it powers the FP directly. If it doesn't run then it's bad.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the loose wire near the ecu for testing until I already had the plug undone and wired up with jumpers in the back. But thanks for the heads up. I'll post pics as soon as I can. At autozone now getting a fuel pump.

I'm changing the oil tonight, already have the oil and filter. And the tank was empty (lucky for me) so I'm just gonna flush the tank and lines when I put the pump in. I'll keep you all updated.

Seems to be a slow leak from the rear diff, so I'm gonna crack that open ASAP and see if it just needs a gasket or what. I believe the trans was rebuilt, or at least has a new clutch. And the engine sounded good when I test turned it over but won't know for sure until I get gas to the injectors. More to come in the next few days.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just bought a 94 Formula for 500 bucks

Nice deal, that's better than my 6 speed at $800. Hope you get her running soon! Three trans alone is worth 3 times what you paid for the car.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also fuel pump relay under the driver side kick panel is worth checking out if new fuel pump doesn't solve it. But if the car has been sitting for a bit its possible the fuel pump just went out.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Teching In

I actually replaced the relay first (shbox.com is the **** btw). That's how I came to decide it was the pump (or wiring). I gambled with the pump and sure enough, I got it in and it's working. Now the battery is dead but I hope tomorrow it will start up after a good charging. Everything is looking good. Gonna try to put some pictures on my profile before I pass out. Thanks everyone, especially those that posted long ago. All those old threads are a lifesaver.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, good luck with it.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:23 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the car has been sitting for a while, the fuel pump is likely seized. The tank could also be full of rust. My car sat idle inside a garage for several years and it seemed to need new everything.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Ok so the pump works, but strangely the car won't crank now. I initially thought battery, but that was fine. Then I took the starter out to be tested, and that was fine too. I took out the clutch position switch thing behind the clutch pedal and tested it and that was fine too. Now it seems I need to look at the theft deterrent system. I've found diagrams, and I know how it works but for the life of me I cannot find the damn module or relay for the Theft deterrent system. I found one picture on here but there was no frame of reference. Is it under the right hand kick panel as some have said? That looks to be the wireless entry module and my car does not have wireless entry.

Any advice? I may make another post for this problem. I really need a video or something on how to do it.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
If the car has been sitting for a while, the fuel pump is likely seized. The tank could also be full of rust. My car sat idle inside a garage for several years and it seemed to need new everything.
Yep - bought a 7 year stored Impala SS.......took about $1,000 in parts (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, fuel pump, etc.) to get it running. Crud and junk everywhere. Runs great now.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

I really hope You didnt get an Airtex pump!!! Theyre Junk & last maybe 6mos... Some less then that!!! A/C Delco parts are the way to fly on LT1s!!! Spark plugs NGK are great too...
Do the VATS Bypass!!! The little wires on the key switch break All the Time!!! I used to replace the switch but unless you get a perfect match for the stock key You gotta get keys cut for the new one... Easier to just Bypass!!! There is a How To in the Stickies... Other than that Great Score for 500
IF it has an MSD coil better test it or have it tested because the one on My LT1 looked new compared to a Stock coil I had but it wouldnt throw a hot spark for ****!!!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Better deal then my 94 Firehawk for 350 only because I had a blown head gasket. But good steal.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoThDon
Better deal then my 94 Firehawk for 350 only because I had a blown head gasket. But good steal.
Say what..........!!!!!

$350 for a Firehawk? If that's true definitely not a better deal.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 94 Formula for 500 bucks