LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible coolant leak from arp head studs?? Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Possible coolant leak from arp head studs?? Need Advice

Recently i noticed a coolant leak on my 95 z28... It's coming from the drivers side rear head stud... I did a pressure coolant test and put allot of pressure on the system for like 5mins and nothing was leaking... i checked the back of the head the pipe steam pipe that runs coolant into the head feels and looks dry... so im guess the stud is leaking... Will a coolant pressure test make a head stud leak??? could not find a leak but when its running u can see coolant dripping on the headers... --- can i just try taking the stud out and coating it with pipe dope and re torque it??
Old 08-04-2015, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you coat the studs with when you first installed them?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the car from a high performance shop I never installed them.. I owned the car for 5 years now and put 4k miles on it and noticed it started leaking... but everything on the car is basically new parts still... was hoping to just take out that one stud and put some kind of sealed coating on it and re torque the head stud...
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Have you checked that the stud/nut is torqued correctly?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Have you checked that the stud/nut is torqued correctly?
The header is in my way... this weekend I plan to take the header off and check... I might just take it out and re coat the stud and torque it back down... does anyone know the torque spec on the head bolt...its the one on the end so I think I will be okay as far as not re torque all the others
Old 08-04-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just hoping the head gasket is not leaking... I did a coolant pressure test and put way more pressure then recommend in the system and nothing was leaking.. if a head gasket was bad or leaking at all I should have seen it correct... the head stud in the back just one of the studs have coolant on top of the nut where it threads on... just don't understand why all of a sudden its leaking
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue when I finished my new engine, it has ARP head studs. After about the first week of driving it I noticed some coolant on the floor under the car, and it got a little worse as I drove it. I used the recommended ARP thread sealer and made sure everything was very clean when I installed them. After trying to find a solution for the leak I found some people were using RTV with good results on the head studs instead of the ARP thread sealant, but I didn't have the time to pull the head to re do them. I also found many others would drop a GM coolant sealant tablet into the radiator which will stop minor leaks. That is what I did, but I only used one tablet instead of the recommended amount on the package. The leak stopped after about two heat cycles and haven't had a drop of coolant leak since and that was about 3 years ago. Now there are many people that say the coolant sealant tabs can plug up the coolant system so after the leak stopped I flushed the coolant with fresh and I haven't noticed anything problems to date. Do some research on the coolant tabs and see if it's something you want to try.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Mine had a slight leak and then cleared itself up with a few heat cycles.

Always use black RTV, the arp stuff is a joke.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=97pontta;18914554]I had the same issue when I finished my new engine, it has ARP head studs. After about the first week of driving it I noticed some coolant on the floor under the car, and it got a little worse as I drove it. I used the recommended ARP thread sealer and made sure everything was very clean when I installed them. After trying to find a solution for the leak I found some people were using RTV with good results on the head studs instead of the ARP thread sealant, but I didn't have the time to pull the head to re do them. I also found many others would drop a GM coolant sealant tablet into the radiator which will stop minor leaks. That is what I did, but I only used one tablet instead of the recommended amount on the package. The leak stopped after about two heat cycles and haven't had a drop of coolant leak since and that was about 3 years ago. Now there are many people that say the coolant sealant tabs can plug up the coolant system so after the leak stopped I flushed the coolant with fresh and I haven't noticed anything problems to date. Do some research on the coolant tabs and see if it's something you want to try.[/QUOTE

My car has about 600rwp. With a supercharger wouldn't it eventually make the coolant leak worse or start up again under wot... if I did put a coolant tab in the system....also where do u buy these tabs
Old 08-05-2015, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIne done the same after I got it togather. I screwed up and didn't put anything on the threads going into the deck. However I used the Bars leak cooling tabs and it stopped a well. You can get them at about any parts house
Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would pull it and re torque it with black RTV on the threads.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
I would pull it and re torque it with black RTV on the threads.
Do u think the head gasket is shot... I did a high pressure coolant test and nothing was coming out from the gasket it held pressure but the bolt had a little tiny drop of coolant on top of the treads... black rtv or prematex should I use
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the torque spec at for head bolt
Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by detroit_903
Do u think the head gasket is shot... I did a high pressure coolant test and nothing was coming out from the gasket it held pressure but the bolt had a little tiny drop of coolant on top of the treads... black rtv or prematex should I use
What's the torque spec at for head bolt
Stud or bolt?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Stud or bolt?
Bolt.... I believe the stud you just screw in till it stops right?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

http://shbox.com/ci/head_assy.jpg
Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I recommend Permatex high temperature thread sealant on head bolts. Not the high performance sealant, high temp....there is a difference between the two.

I've never had any leaks with this stuff, but I have also assembled my engine dry with no coolant in it. It also had a few days to sit and cure before I put it back in the car.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...t-59235-detail

Last edited by ACE1252; 08-06-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Thread says studs, you say bolts now.

Which is it?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem for us in the diesel world as well. With ARP studs you need a VERY good thread sealer or do like I did on my 6.5 diesel and o-ring the bolt holes so that the nut and washer press against it to form a seal. Only kicker is that you have to take a stepped bit to the heads and create a groove in the bolt holes for the o-ring to sit.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Shownomercy;18916049]Thread says studs, you say bolts now.

Which is it?[/QUOTI

I meant the nut that screws onto the stud.... what should i torque that at???

Quick Reply: Possible coolant leak from arp head studs?? Need Advice