LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C knobs not working, air not flowing from dashboard vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C ***** not working, air not flowing from dashboard vents

Ok, I've done some searches on this. Seen a variety of answers, so I figured I'd ask here.

Recently, the **** that switches from A/C to defrost to floor/dashboard mode, etc has quit working. The detents that it used to have are gone and the **** just turns throughout it's arc of travel without any resistance. As a result, the HVAC only blows on the floor vents and the A/C will not engage. The ***** that control the temp from hot to cold and the fan settings still work fine.

A/C system was overhauled and compressor replaced in the last 2 years, so that's not the problem.

Is this indicative of the common vacuum line HVAC problem or does the problem more likely reside directly behind my dash panel?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A/C ***** not working, air not flowing from dashboard vents

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
Ok, I've done some searches on this. Seen a variety of answers, so I figured I'd ask here.

Recently, the **** that switches from A/C to defrost to floor/dashboard mode, etc has quit working. The detents that it used to have are gone and the **** just turns throughout it's arc of travel without any resistance. As a result, the HVAC only blows on the floor vents and the A/C will not engage. The ***** that control the temp from hot to cold and the fan settings still work fine.

A/C system was overhauled and compressor replaced in the last 2 years, so that's not the problem.

Is this indicative of the common vacuum line HVAC problem or does the problem more likely reside directly behind my dash panel?
Sounds like the **** is broken. Shouldn't there be a little resistance against the **** even with everything off?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

**** slipping on the selector switch?
Old 08-04-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like there is a issue with the ****. If it is not the ****, I had a scenario that resulted in something else. My Dad and I pulled and replaced the 383 that was in my camaro two years ago. Once we got the car running I was bound and determined to figure out why I couldn't control where the air blew out of the HVAC anymore. It bothered the hell out of me. I ended up tracing it down to the Vacuum check valve located in this attached picture. The line had broken from removing the engine apparently. I traced it down pretty easily because I vividly remember how loud the f body HVAC would hiss when you changed the mode with the ****. It no longer was doing that when it was broke. Mine was actually creating a small vacuum leak in the engine as well with how the check valve broke off. The blend door is vacuum operated so if there is a leak or the check valve is broken, the system has no air power to control the door. Check the line going from the vacuum canister too. Hope this helps.

http://shbox.com/1/vac_check_valve.jpg

Last edited by CamOnlyJabroni; 08-04-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
... The blend door is vacuum operated so if there is a leak or the check valve is broken, the system has no air power to control the door...
The blend (or temperature control) door is cable operated. The mode control is vacuum operated.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's what I meant. Just said it wrong. In my mind I was thinking blending the air between floor, dash and defrost.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
**** slipping on the selector switch?
Seems plausible I guess.

So....if there's no vacuum available, does that mean the **** would feel like it's slipping on the selector switch?

I'm going to check those vacuum lines and check valves when I get home today and report back.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

When mine didn't work you could still feel some resistance in the ****. When you change the "mode" you should hear a very audible hiss in the dash itself.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Seems plausible I guess.

So....if there's no vacuum available, does that mean the **** would feel like it's slipping on the selector switch?

I'm going to check those vacuum lines and check valves when I get home today and report back.
You should still be able to feel the detents when moving the switch from position to position.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I might have a spare **** panel, ill check.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC the vaccume supply Tees in above the passangers side manifold. There is also a check valve. That is were I would start after the broken knobb. My **** on my 02 will split every couple years and I have to glue it.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well, checked yesterday afternoon and broken **** it is. Anyone have a spare one lying around?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-A-C-AC-HEATER-FAN-CLIMATE-CONTROL-****-HVAC-94-96-/271949273387?fits=Model%3AFirebird&hash=item3f5170992b&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: A/C knobs not working, air not flowing from dashboard vents