LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blowing Fuse #5 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Blowing Fuse #5 PCM

Starting a new thread since I got the car to crank and start, but now after running for maybe 10 seconds it blows the PCM fuse in the drivers compartment. I put a 10 amp fuse to do trouble shooting and it pops when the key is just on, I pulled all of the fuses under the hood and replaced them one at at time and when I got to the Horn fuse, it popped the PCM fuse in the drivers fuse box, No get this, the horn still worked with the fuse pulled?
Car is a 95 Z
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pulled the fuse panel out to see if any wires are touching/damaged on the back of the fuse panel? I am looking at an old Haynes manual and I see a PCM fuse 8 that is a 10 amp which is always hot in the under hood fuse panel. The other fuse is #5 in the fuse block panel and that one is 15 amp and is only hot in the run, bulb test, or start condition. The only other thing I am seeing on the circuit is the MAF sensor (yellow wire). The pink is the main hot 12v. Try a 15 amp in that circuit and see if it still blows. It might just be an undersized fuse in that circuit.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the horn is working with the fuse pulled its gotta be shorted somewhere either at the fuse box or down the harness.

Whatever it is shorted to is whats popping your PCM fuse as it completes the horn circuit.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nostang
Have you pulled the fuse panel out to see if any wires are touching/damaged on the back of the fuse panel? I am looking at an old Haynes manual and I see a PCM fuse 8 that is a 10 amp which is always hot in the under hood fuse panel. The other fuse is #5 in the fuse block panel and that one is 15 amp and is only hot in the run, bulb test, or start condition. The only other thing I am seeing on the circuit is the MAF sensor (yellow wire). The pink is the main hot 12v. Try a 15 amp in that circuit and see if it still blows. It might just be an undersized fuse in that circuit.
I pulled the fuse block under the hood and so far dont see anything, Yes if I put like a 20 amp it keeps running but then the fuse starts getting real Hot, and Im sure at one point it will blow too. I just dont want to keep the fuse in and do damage somewhere else..
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Puck
If the horn is working with the fuse pulled its gotta be shorted somewhere either at the fuse box or down the harness.

Whatever it is shorted to is whats popping your PCM fuse as it completes the horn circuit.

Yup, but to try and find it!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pulled the fuse and ohmed to ground?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Nope, but thats another idea to check, Thanks

Quick Reply: Blowing Fuse #5 PCM