LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing a/c lines.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a/c lines.

Ok so I finally decided to fix the a/c in my car. It was leaking from the suction hose that runs from the condenser to the back of the compressor, and is connected to the discharge hose. Well I was able to get the old lines out but getting the new ones to fit is becoming an aggravating challenge. I just can't seem to get them to line up with the holes in the back of the compressor. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this job a little easier? I can't find anything on this subject besides people saying the job is "difficult".
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never done this job, but having done other work on my '96 Z/28, I know that space is really tight in that area. MAYBE if you're able to loosen the bolts that hold the A/C compressor in place, you can shift it one way or another, you can get a better shot at it??
Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have the compressor loosened. It just seems like nothing wants fit together. And before somebody says it, I have verified that the replacement lines are the same as stock.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly there's really no easy way to do it outside of constantly trying to catch a thread while pressing the lines against the back of the compressor. Make sure you don't rely to heavily on the bolt pulling the lines into place or you might end up stripping it out.

Maybe try zip tying the lines into place against the compressor? Then cut away zip tie after you've caught enough threads.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The suction house comes from the evaporator (dash), the hose from the compressor to the condensor is the pressure (discharge) hose.

When I replaced my pressure hose, I found the part that loops up towards the exhaust was hitting my #2 header pipe. I had to do some slight bending to that pipe to get it installed and have just enough clearance not to hit anything (that header pipe).
Old 08-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSinisterZ
And before somebody says it, I have verified that the replacement lines are the same as stock.
I bought that host cluster at Autozone and found out the hard way the ports would seat into the compressor, but the bolt hole did not line up. Ordered one for Rock Auto that was a slightly better fit, but still had to fandangle the bolt into the back of the compressor. From what I remember I believe I had to take the compressor completely out to get the hose cluster into place.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I bought that host cluster at Autozone and found out the hard way the ports would seat into the compressor, but the bolt hole did not line up. Ordered one for Rock Auto that was a slightly better fit, but still had to fandangle the bolt into the back of the compressor. From what I remember I believe I had to take the compressor completely out to get the hose cluster into place.
Same story here too. I had to unbolt the AC compressor from the accessory bracket to get the hoses on, then bolt the compressor back on and bend my line to prevent chaffing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a/c lines.