LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to verify an OEM LT1 SS Hood.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How to verify an OEM LT1 SS Hood.....

Soooo.......I had never even thought twice about my hood not being an original over the last 5 years because when I bought it as a salvaged vehicle it had sustained some minor damage of which I figured was part of the original accident = the hood is original.

With this being said just for ***** and giggles I figured I would look for the "Made In Canada" stamp come to find out I have not been able to locate it. I had another member send me pictures of where his is and go figure mine does not have it there.

I was wondering if anyone has some information on where there's is and/or anything else I should be looking for.

As a point of note it did have some etched numbers beside the drivers side Hinge Bracket similar to how my OEM LT1 SS Spoiler had etched numbers.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% of all aftermarket ram air hoods are made of fiberglass; it's pretty easy to tell because they are MUCH lighter than steel (or a REAL SLP composite hood) and you can clearly see unfinished bare fiberglass on the underside of most of them. The SLP composite ram air hoods don't have any rough unfinished fiberglass visible, should be painted on the underside to match, fit perfectly, and feel more sturdy in general than a fiberglass hood which flexes a bit. No clue about SLP or "made in Canada" stickers....my Firehawk has none of that but it's easy to tell looking at an aftermarket fiberglass vs. SLP hood when you compare in person.

I would just post a pic of the underside of the hood...I'm sure somebody with a genuine SS will chime in.

Last edited by ahritchie; 08-25-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

This makes me wonder if mine is an OEM SS hood like I was told so when I bought it. I don't really know how to identify it's authenticity to be honest. For what I paid it better be OEM or I will be pissed!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
This makes me wonder if mine is an OEM SS hood like I was told so when I bought it. I don't really know how to identify it's authenticity to be honest. For what I paid it better be OEM or I will be pissed!
Post a pic! Usually the aftermarket fiberglass ones have imperfections, and require a bit more "fitment" work and sanding. They also sound different when you slam a fiberglass hood vs composite hood....the fiberglass is so much lighter you really have to slam the hood because the gas hood struts are now TOO strong for the reduced weight of the hood and it makes hollow higher pitched "whack".....whereas the SLP composite hood slams with a solid "thud" (more like slamming a steel hood) and will close completely by dropping the hood under its own weight....there's no way I can close my fiberglass cowl hood without slamming it!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Luckily I drove it to work today

Okay I must've just forgotten about it cause I know I've seen the "Made In Canada" mark before, and for sure before I bought it haha. This car has been on the back burner for the past 3-4 years lol. Anyways, here are some pictures. The hood fits perfect, looks perfect, shuts perfect by itself, and is very nice on the underside.

The "Made In Canada" mark is in the Ram Air area towards the rear of the hood. It's missing the seal cause I had it repainted to match the car. It was red when I got it.

Last edited by 93BlackZ28; 08-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

^ Yeah it's definitely a legit one. The underside of your hood is unusually clean!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

I'm unusually **** about this car
Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm unusually **** about this car
Where is that stamp located in relation to the overall hood?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Where is that stamp located in relation to the overall hood?
As stated in the post, The "Made In Canada" mark is in the Ram Air area towards the rear of the hood.

Look at the pictures and you can see where to look.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated in the post, The "Made In Canada" mark is in the Ram Air area towards the rear of the hood.

Look at the pictures and you can see where to look.
That weird. Mine is stamped to the right of the intake between the bracing.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't have a Made In Canada stamping on it, and a 98 SS I had did not have it either.....so I guess some weren't marked. I know they are both the real thing. The 98 SS is a 50k mile car. I've also had a couple of fiberglass SS hoods and they are easy to tell apart. The factory / SLP hoods whether SS or WS6 or Firehawk.....all of them.... you can see where the underside structure is not all one piece, but is bonded together. It's hard to see in your pictures above. All the aftermarket hoods I have seen have all of that molded together instead of made like the stock ones.

Quick Reply: How to verify an OEM LT1 SS Hood.....