LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Planning a LT-1 Build for next year

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Planning a LT-1 Build for next year

Hi guys and ladies. I have a 94 Chevy Caprice 9C1 Police Intercepter. Im planning a engine rebuild and mods to the motor next year. I wanna make a stroker motor, a 383. I was thinking a nice 355 at first but I like the idea of haveing a 383 LT-1 under the hood. A heavy car and i plan on running her at the strip every now and then but mostly long distance highway trips and using the a/c and still knowing I got power at my feet. Im thinking if my motor can get 400hp, 9.1 compression motor using 89 octane pump gas, and 560 ft lbs of torque or more, Im fine. If she can do low 14s to high 13's thru the quarter mile, Im happy. I was thinking about forged pistons or hyper pistons, i will have the block bored .030 over. Connecting rods--what type? Manley 6 inch forged rods? Forged steel crank? and who makes the best one? I plan on getting a two angle valve job on the original aluminum heads, get heads CNC'd, Manley valves, LT4 cam but i want the cam to match my 3.08 gears, posi unit in it too. What would the cam specs be? Beehive valve springs, 1.5 intakes, 1.6 exhaust, i would have the heads port matched with the headers i have-Hooker street Force headers (already ceramic coated by Jet Hot coatings), Have new true dual exhaust on, 14 gauge aluminum front pipe, balance tube, 3 chamber Flowmasters, cat delete, 2 and half inch tailpipes, using 245/60 R15 tires on stock police rims. Car in storage most of the year and half of next year too. Any helpful info is appreciated.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you honestly believe any of this is a good plan you need to have a couple more years of getting a clue first.

Plan is so bad it is easier to believe you are a troll trying to stir the pot than someone actually so completely wrong about what you need to do.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

9.1 SCR just is asking for some turbro loving brah!

Think of all the towing and awesome MPG you would get too. Its a win win. Edelbrock heads, a GM847 cam, and a hypertech tooner, you should be good for 10s at least.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

WARNING: You need thick skin for LS1tech.

Do not take criticism to heart, listen to what is said, and learn. Don't get scared off because of criticism or smart *** comments, keep reading and posting and you will see why comments like the above are made.

Stock compression is 10.4:1. The LT4 stock was 10.8:1. 9:1 is old school small block thought, does not apply to reverse flow cooling lt1s where the chamber stays cool and you can run more compression. 96caprice, has a caprice (boat like you) and runs 11s on a stock bottom end 350.

Like was said above, seriously do more reading, find a build that performs like you want, and copy it. Or keep posting, reading, and learning, but your above plan is scary bad.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Ill bite a little more. You like the ring of "I have a 383", but the added power and torque from going from a 350-355 to a 383 isn't that much if you look at it $/HP. Forged rotating assembly is $2000, block work is $1000, that's $3000 more for maybe 20hp/20tq. If its worth it to you, do it. You MUST use a forged crank. Cast Chinese cranks like eagle and scat fail remarkably often and fast at even low HP numbers. Google "eagle cast crank failure" and you'll see cases.

Rods, 6" on a 3.75 crank is good, even on a stock crank is good. Forged.

Pistons, if you ever plan to spray, need to be forged. If you insist on cheaper, a good cast/hyper like the stock Mahles.

Cam, lt4 hotcam is a baby cam in a stock 350, never mind a 383. Set your goals, tell them to Lloyd Elliot or AI and they will cut you one for YOU, not a "one size fits all" off the shelf cam, and it costs maybe $50 more than an off the shelf.

Heads, valve job isn't going to cut it, you need fully ported stock castings or ported aftermarket castings. As cast aftermarket heads, like trickflows, flow less than ported stock heads and cost the same. Avoid anything edelbrock. Period. Don't even look at it, and don't dare utter the term "edelbrock" for anything LT1/lt4 or prepared to get flamed. Their LTx products are garbage and give no power over stock.

You don't need a 383 to run 14s or 13s. There are guys on here with caprices and impalas running 10s on a stock bottom end 350.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
9.1 SCR just is asking for some turbro loving brah!

Think of all the towing and awesome MPG you would get too. Its a win win. Edelbrock heads, a GM847 cam, and a hypertech tooner, you should be good for 10s at least.
lol at least 10s...
Old 08-26-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the OP knows it's not an "early LS1"

Not sure if your trolling or not since the 400HP/560TQ 9:1CR build seems highly questionable and would probably lose HP over stock due to lost CR; might as well stroke it to a 396 if you are expecting diesel like torque, the machining cost isn't much more. Sounds like more research is in order.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Teching In

400hp/560TQ=Turbo Tune Port. :_)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunny Jim, 9.1 SCR? I hope you have race gas in your area.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Know it All Young Brats

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you honestly believe any of this is a good plan you need to have a couple more years of getting a clue first.

Plan is so bad it is easier to believe you are a troll trying to stir the pot than someone actually so completely wrong about what you need to do.
Im no troll, sounds like youre young. I got out of the drag racing scene 15 years ago after i lost my cars and now i got this car and want to have fun with it, Basically i was thinking a heavy car needs a good torque motor, not a high end hp motor and since i cant afford to get a Corvette, I had to get what i could afford and make the most of it. Its been a while since i looked at car mags and engine rebuilds.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

Here are the 2 most heavily used cylinder head porters for the LTx engine. You will see a ton of guys on all LT1 forums running their stuff. AI heads are all CNC, Lloyd hand ports all of his heads. Results are similar, AI200s have a little higher numbers, but are more expensive, but both will give great results. A 383 with LE2s or LE3s or AI200s will put down 400-450rwhp depending on cam selection, compression and drivetrain losses. There is a guy on here that put down 455rwhp through a 4l60e and a 9" rear end with 12.7:1 compression on pump gas 93 octane. Also a guy with an impala and a 12:1 stock bottom end running 10s on AI200s. 11.5-12.5:1 is fine for pump gas on the LT1.

The traditional small block Chevy can't run as high of compression, and you need to be careful when you ask a sbc guy to spec a build for you, as the LT1 engine is the red head step child of sbc world, not a lot know much about these motors, and that's why the forums become very valuable, if you can have thick skin and take some criticism. The biggest advantage to researching on forums is that nobody here profits from you buying one thing or another. A builder or a vendor will lead you astray because they want your money, forum members only want to see you succeed to keep the platform and hobby alive. The worst thing, which we often see, is people get frustrated by forum posts and don't listen, they build a high dollar low performing motor like your plan in your first post, get frustrated, and abandon the project. We don't want to see that, so please do research, ask questions, and we will help you meet your goals.

What is your budget?

http://advancedinduction.com/LTX/AiLTxMain.php

http://elliottsportworks.com/

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 08-27-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Glen Gent
Im no troll, sounds like youre young. I got out of the drag racing scene 15 years ago after i lost my cars and now i got this car and want to have fun with it, Basically i was thinking a heavy car needs a good torque motor, not a high end hp motor and since i cant afford to get a Corvette, I had to get what i could afford and make the most of it. Its been a while since i looked at car mags and engine rebuilds.
...yeah, he's just a young whippersnapper! Everyone is trying to do you a favor whether you realize it or not.

Big torque, and high CR/HP are not mutually exclusive....you can have your cake and eat it to without running low CR.....this is not the 1970s anymore. You would be better off getting some 3.73's and a GOOD torque converter before you do anything else really to get that boat out of the hole! You could reach your goals with bolt ons and a baby cam really....11:1 CR should be the MINIMUM for any NA performance LT1 with heads/cam.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
WARNING: You need thick skin for LS1tech.

Do not take criticism to heart, listen to what is said, and learn. Don't get scared off because of criticism or smart *** comments, keep reading and posting and you will see why comments like the above are made.

Stock compression is 10.4:1. The LT4 stock was 10.8:1. 9:1 is old school small block thought, does not apply to reverse flow cooling lt1s where the chamber stays cool and you can run more compression. 96caprice, has a caprice (boat like you) and runs 11s on a stock bottom end 350.

Like was said above, seriously do more reading, find a build that performs like you want, and copy it. Or keep posting, reading, and learning, but your above plan is scary bad.
I didnt know the LT1's had a 10.4:1 compression (big surprise to me). Originally i had plans to do a 355 cid but then i was looking at what Golen Engines had and I looked at the 383 and other guys doing their LT1 383 builds. I looked at the 396 LT1 but i saw lot of guys was saying that was too risky and better have a real good machinist and engine builder that knows what theyre doing with that. Im originally was pure Pontiac and i worked on Pontiac motors only. The car is in storage and i plan on driving her a few times in the summer months and fall months too, no daily driver. I like the seat of the pants feel when there is lot of torque ( I got to ride in a friend's 70 Chevy Nova with a built 69 Cadillac 500 cid motor, headers, Holley double pumper 750cfm, 12 bolt rear with 3.90 posi) and doing high 9s thru the quarter. That got me wanting to get back in the high performance engine thing and I know i missed a lot and I know I will have to some reading up on the LT1 motor and look for engine rebuilds on this motor. Yes, maybe i had it all wrong when i stated on what i wanted but i knew originally i wanted lot of torque, low end power on a heavy car is good and the motor is not worn out from high end hp. It cost a lot to get the motor built and i dont wanna get a motor built 2 and three times in less than 10 years. I want something that last and reliable. Thanks for the nice reply, i have talked to a old friend/neighbor who is still building motors and he will do the work on mine, this is for next year. Pump gas and if it runs 12s or 13s thru the quarter, im fine. At the dragstrip, if the car runs 11's you have to put a roll cage in and i dont wanna do that.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Take the golen word out of your head and don't look at his builds.

If you want a good model of what to copy or even enlist to build you a motor, look no farther than Karl Ellwein.
http://www.ellweinengines.com/
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

What condition is the current engine in? 100k on a well taken care of engine leaves plenty of life left for hotrodding especially on a car that going forward is only going to see a few thousand miles a year. I picked my car up at 107k and ran the time in my sig at 125k.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Ill bite a little more. You like the ring of "I have a 383", but the added power and torque from going from a 350-355 to a 383 isn't that much if you look at it $/HP. Forged rotating assembly is $2000, block work is $1000, that's $3000 more for maybe 20hp/20tq. If its worth it to you, do it. You MUST use a forged crank. Cast Chinese cranks like eagle and scat fail remarkably often and fast at even low HP numbers. Google "eagle cast crank failure" and you'll see cases.

Rods, 6" on a 3.75 crank is good, even on a stock crank is good. Forged.

Pistons, if you ever plan to spray, need to be forged. If you insist on cheaper, a good cast/hyper like the stock Mahles.

Cam, lt4 hotcam is a baby cam in a stock 350, never mind a 383. Set your goals, tell them to Lloyd Elliot or AI and they will cut you one for YOU, not a "one size fits all" off the shelf cam, and it costs maybe $50 more than an off the shelf.

Heads, valve job isn't going to cut it, you need fully ported stock castings or ported aftermarket castings. As cast aftermarket heads, like trickflows, flow less than ported stock heads and cost the same. Avoid anything edelbrock. Period. Don't even look at it, and don't dare utter the term "edelbrock" for anything LT1/lt4 or prepared to get flamed. Their LTx products are garbage and give no power over stock.

You don't need a 383 to run 14s or 13s. There are guys on here with caprices and impalas running 10s on a stock bottom end 350.
Thanks for the reply, I wont be spraying, no turbo or supercharger, i want it all hp. I heard about Lloyd Elliot cams and I will look into his stuff. I will use forged crank, cast hyper pistons sounds good, get heads CNC'd would be good, Im planning on keeping the heads that i have. Sorry, all i worked with was Pontiac 350s, 400s, and 455s in the past. Thats why i was thinking a streetable engine, low compression and globs of torque. Im old school and was purely into Stock Eliminator NHRA, engine must look stock and use stock cam but the tricks were elsewhere, and a friend got me and had me stuck in that scene, he owns a 66 Old 4-4-2 and running 10s with original motor in it and the tri power set up. I kinda want my car the same, stock looking, drive her on long distance trips and run the a/c but at the track, she can run decent times and on the dyno i would be proud to see the numbers she would make.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by guppymech
What condition is the current engine in? 100k on a well taken care of engine leaves plenty of life left for hotrodding especially on a car that going forward is only going to see a few thousand miles a year. I picked my car up at 107k and ran the time in my sig at 125k.
The car runs real good, had a Walboro electric fuel pump installed, new sending unit in the gas tank, new exhaust system, I drove her from Bucyrus Ohio back to Chicago with original exhaust on her, gave me no problems, just needed new a/c compressor, replaced that too. I think its better to rebuild the motor, give her a new lease on life and get her some muscle too. She is a former Ohio police car. Gotta get the instrument cluster taken out, have rebuilt 94 Z28 instrument cluster gauges put in, digital speedometer is dark and i had enough of those digital speedometers. Prefer sweeping gauges. Got Hooker headers on her, Flowmaster 3 chamber muffs, 2 and a half inch tail pipes. balance tube.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM

If you want a good model of what to copy or even enlist to build you a motor, look no farther than Karl Ellwein.
Oh i know about Golen, i heard guys online complaining about them. No i wont and never will buy a motor that they say is built by them. Just dont know what is inside, and a lot of headaches. I have a friend who will build my motor. I learned some years ago, buy the parts yourself and research and talk to others that has the same engine.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Ellwein Engines, i saw the video--awesome. I will give him a call.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 4bt should net you your 400hp, 560ft lbs goal with ease!

Quick Reply: Planning a LT-1 Build for next year