LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new help Opti spark like always

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new help Opti spark like always

I own a 94 small block 5.7 v8 camaro z28. Everything in the car has bee. Done over minus the block itself. Original distributor lasted 104k miles then had to change. Since I've changed it I have gone through 3 or 4 more in last year or so. They keep getting low resolution pulse or code 16 weeks after install and drives perfect in that 2 week time frame. We cannot figure out why the hell it keeps failing and I am at my breaking point.

I think I'm try ordering a dealership one next but I've tried msd. Lt1 opti. And jegs brand but they all failed.

Please can anyone help me out before I just sell it. Even ordered a new computer and has done nothing to solve it.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:09 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Try an AC Delco or Delphi optispark.

Have you taken any of those optisparks apart to see if there is something visibly wrong with them?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a warranty on the MSD, send it back so they can fix it. Maybe get a new opti harness also.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Default update

I returned the msd under warranty and got new one ended up crapping out after month or so with low resolution pulse. I bought a new pig tail harness for the optispark also and hasn't helped out

There has been no viable damage to any of the new ones after they failed and I took them off that's why I've been going crazy. The original one had viable damage when I bought the car and yet it still ran. The new ones all crap out and stall as if the code is intermittent. And after the last optispark I notice now the rpm gauge seems to bounce around and you can hear the car Rev up at times then drop and stall out.

Thanks guys for help I appreciate any suggestion
Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

You said you looked for damage on the failed ones, did you open them up? Does the optical disc show any signs of rubbing on the sensor? Does the opti fit right up against the timing cover with only hand pressure or do you have to draw it on with the bolts?
Do you have the 104K mile opti? Maybe you could install the cap and rotor from one of the newer bad optis to see if that one runs good.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:50 PM

They didn't seem like they had any signs of rubbing at all which is weird and last one fit right on snug without much hassel

I didn't even think about trying that this problem has been on going for 2 years the 104k mile opti was changed long time ago and I can't seem to find where it is.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

I added more to my previous post while you were posting.
Do you have the 104K mile opti? Maybe you could install the cap and rotor from one of the newer bad optis to see if that one runs good.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:00 PM

I'm try and find the old one and see if we can try that and see if we can rule anymore out. Just hope I still have it somewhere in the shop
Old 09-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Going to go rip car apart again today and just try small things until I get new distributor but I'm afraid same thing is just going to happen again so I rather find out why before I waste another 600 bucks
Old 09-12-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default new help Opti spark like always

Have you replaced the harness? Also, are the vaccum lines hooked up correctly? Is the restriction valve installed? What coil are you using?

Optis don't do well with high voltage due to ozone. If you have a stronger coil with the vacuum lines backwords it would do what you are describing. A stronger coil alone wreaks havoc too, but usually it takes a little longer. Also what spark plugs and gaps are you running? What spark plug wires?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You have to remember to take apart any new opti and put loctite on the screws, or it will fail.

Quick Reply: new help Opti spark like always