LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel lines

so I was changing my oil and noticed that the fuel lines are rusted and bad . its always stored in a climate controlled garage my house , they stick out really bad just so rusted is there a kit to buy or should I get the line and bend it myself I only put between 1k to 2k miles per year I haven't been under it much past few years
Old 09-16-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel lines

I'm sure there is someone online that sells a pre bent. But I'm sure there's a shop near you that will bend a setup for you
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive done brake lines Im sure I can do it wasn't sure if someone else knew of a better or easier way the connects mite be tricky the way the look maybe not tho
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's my understanding that GM was concerned about rust issues, when they went to the "in tank" electric fuel pumps, because the fuel line is pressurized, as opposed to the mechanical fuel pumps, which had the fuel lines under suction. Therefore, they went with plastic fuel lines, since plastic won't rust through, causing a potential fire hazard.

So I have to ask, are you sure that it's a fuel line that you're looking at?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
It's my understanding that GM was concerned about rust issues, when they went to the "in tank" electric fuel pumps, because the fuel line is pressurized, as opposed to the mechanical fuel pumps, which had the fuel lines under suction. Therefore, they went with plastic fuel lines, since plastic won't rust through, causing a potential fire hazard.

From fuel filter to the front of the door, is metal fuel lines.

It's my understanding that metal rusts.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

theres 3 lines going to the back there all rusted the brake line is new so yeah its fuel lines
Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man you got over 4k post and your not sure what fuel lines are ?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

classictube sells prebent for us. Stainless too. Good price for what it is.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ROUDA
man you got over 4k post and your not sure what fuel lines are ?
I generally go under the back end of the car every couple of years, to change the fuel filter. That's pretty much the only time I pay close attention to the fuel line, and since my former car (sold it a couple of months ago), a '96 Z-28, never saw winter, it didn't have ANY rust on it. Therefore, the lines just didn't stand out to me the last time I was under there....
Old 09-19-2015, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I generally go under the back end of the car every couple of years, to change the fuel filter. That's pretty much the only time I pay close attention to the fuel line, and since my former car (sold it a couple of months ago), a '96 Z-28, never saw winter, it didn't have ANY rust on it. Therefore, the lines just didn't stand out to me the last time I was under there....
I hear you bud, but sure would be nice if they were all plastic rubber or some braded I had to replace them on my blazer last may . It starts as a pin hole then soon as you touch it then just make more leaks so easier to just replace all them
Old 09-19-2015, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Viper
classictube sells prebent for us. Stainless too. Good price for what it is.
thanks Im going to check it out
Old 09-19-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ROUDA
I hear you bud, but sure would be nice if they were all plastic rubber or some braded I had to replace them on my blazer last may . It starts as a pin hole then soon as you touch it then just make more leaks so easier to just replace all them
You may not find what you'd need in "the front" of an auto parts store, but in "the rear", at the commercial counter, where the repair shops and dealers purchase their needs, many of the stores like Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc, sell 50 foot rolls of the plastic fuel line. They also sell the connectors that are a press fit into this line, so it is possible, if you have the inclination, to make up a full plastic line.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well yes the thought has crossed my mind many times. But I always think there must be a reason they use metal for most of the fuel line and just shorted flex line where needed .. I bet tho rubber fuel line would hold up for a bit

Quick Reply: fuel lines