LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

NSA Rockers Vs. Shaft Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSA Rockers Vs. Shaft Mount?

Hey guys, i've been piecing together my 383 LT for awhile now, and i really can't make a decision on whether or not to go NSA rockers or go ahead and drop the cash on some Jesel Shaft mounts.
It all started with the decision of whether or not to go solid roller or not, i debated it for awhile and decided to go ahead and go hydraulic because i really dont think i would want to readjust the valves every oil change. That being said, i was thinking. "how would shaft rockers take a solid roller?" I couldn't really find much about it, and whether or not i would have to readjust them with a solid roller.
So, question is, would i have to adjust the valves as often with shaft rockers rather than NSA rockers in a solid roller application?
If so, is it still worth it to put shaft rockers on a hydraulic setup? is there any significant power increase over NSA rockers?
How are the Jesel's on LT applications?
I plan to shift the car at 7000-7200 rpms,

Thanks, Chaz
Old 09-22-2015, 07:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

My last engine I shifted at 7200rpm and had Crane Gold rockers. I had to adjust them about twice an oil change. I'd say go for the shaft mounts. If anything your valvetrian will be more stable. I opted out because I didn't want to spend the money on them.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are definitely recommended for an SR setup. You will not have to adjust them as often, and they will take the higher spring pressures with less drama then a stud mount rocker setup.

Also, while not as beneficial as on solid roller there are still some benefits to shaft mounts even on a hydraulic setup that sees some RPM - namely stability in the valvetrain at high RPMs.

If you can afford them, I would get them.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, general consensus on these things is that they are nice on any setup if you can afford it. haha

Thanks, Chaz
Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Id skip over jesel and get some td shaft mounts.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have DRE shaftmount, which are the OEM for the higher end Comp stuff. Hard to beat going direct to the OEM for price:performance.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Teching In

For what its worth, I decided to go with Jesel shaft mounts on my hydraulic setup about 5 years ago in thinking they would be better then the NSA's in stability since I was spinning to 7k rpm.
I usually have to adjust them every 1-2 years because I always end up having 1-2 rockers start to get noisy.

Quick Reply: NSA Rockers Vs. Shaft Mount?