LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Moroso CAI: Discontinued for 1994-97 LT1s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Moroso CAI: Discontinued for 1994-97 LT1s?

Just recently looking around for cold air intakes, and I saw that the Moroso CAI is only available for V6 Camaros or lt1 Camaros from 1993.

Any reason I couldn't make a new one work on my 1995 Z? Just looks like the tube is a bit longer since 1993 doesnt have a MAF. I hear Moroso is one of the better (compared to K&N) intakes. Definitely feels like the car needs to breathe more with GMMG now.

Last edited by Nickster 7; 10-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

The Moroso has a lot of monkey motion going on with adapter rings, boots and smaller filter compared to the K&N or Lingenfelter (discontinued).
Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by guppymech
The Moroso has a lot of monkey motion going on with adapter rings, boots and smaller filter compared to the K&N or Lingenfelter (discontinued).
So you'd recommend the K&N or hunting down a Lingenfelter?

I've heard so many opinions that it isn't even funny. I've heard that K&N is advertised better than it actually is, and I've heard that there's nothing wrong with it. I've heard the slp one is awful, yet I've heard the slp is one of the best. I've heard that Moroso/Callaway is the best, and now I'm hearing that it isn't!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
Just recently looking around for cold air intakes, and I saw that the Moroso CAI is only available for V6 Camaros or lt1 Camaros from 1993.

Any reason I couldn't make a new one work on my 1995 Z? Just looks like the tube is a bit longer since 1993 doesnt have a MAF. I hear Moroso is one of the better (compared to K&N) intakes. Definitely feels like the car needs to breathe more with GMMG now.
Moroso is an awesome CAI. I don't justify paying the money for some of the more fancy ones like SLP or whatnot. I found my Moroso at the junkyard on a wrecked T/A. 15$ and it was mine, Really though.... Yeah cold air intake = more power but one IMHO really isn't better than the other. K&N would be fine if you have just bolt ons. I know some May produce more power numbers then the other... But honestly on a street car the difference between 11hp and 15 is unnoticeable.

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 10-03-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Moroso is an awesome CAI. I don't justify paying the money for some of the more fancy ones like SLP or whatnot. I found my Moroso at the junkyard on a wrecked T/A. 15$ and it was mine, Really though.... Yeah cold air intake = more power but one IMHO really isn't better than the other. K&N would be fine if you have just bolt ons. I know some May produce more power numbers then the other... But honestly on a street car the difference between 11hp and 15 is unnoticeable.
Ok, thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty set on going with the Moroso. Just wondering if it will fit my 1995. I guess it just needs trimmed down to fit with the MAF is and it'll work?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

If you can't find a Moroso check out this Trick Flow that looks like a re-branded K&N for $40 less.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-...obileSwitchYes
I have a Lingenfelter and like it but they don't make it anymore so you'll have to find it used....probably not worth the effort with the Trick Flow at $180.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Launching!

If you can't find a Moroso check out this Trick Flow that looks like a re-branded K&N for $40 less.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-...obileSwitchYes
I have a Lingenfelter and like it but they don't make it anymore so you'll have to find it used....probably not worth the effort with the Trick Flow at $180.
Yeah, I was checking that out too. I'm waiting for a little while. And how much different is the Lingenfelter? I've heard good about that one too, but I never found a used one for sale.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty set on going with the Moroso. Just wondering if it will fit my 1995. I guess it just needs trimmed down to fit with the MAF is and it'll work?
No problem man. Try some junkyards and if no luck, give eBay a look. And honestly I wouldn't know but I don't think the extra length would even matter, the Moroso goes down in a hole in the body of the car in between all the Splash panels on the front end of the car, on the drivers side of my car I actually cut a square of it out to have cold air forced into near/around the area of the filter for more outside air. But like I said it's really looking at hyper scientific things between different cold air intakes. Same for mufflers, I've had magnaflow, hooker... SLP LM2 and my car hen it was bolt on, and now being crammed and built, none of those catbacks made the car feel any different because like I said. We're talking the difference between 1-3 HP here. If all else fails and you can't find a moroso, a lid conversion seems to flow the best and look coolest
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I was checking that out too. I'm waiting for a little while. And how much different is the Lingenfelter? I've heard good about that one too, but I never found a used one for sale.
When I was shopping for a cai between the ones in this thread I felt the Lingenfelter was designed the best. I like that the tube has a ear on it that connects it to the radiator upper support with a push pin like the stock air cleaner. The S&B washable cone filter measures 9" tall by 6" dia tapering to 5" dia and connects directly to the tube. I made a thread when I noticed Lingenfelter appeared to be discontinuing them.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...rtube-cai.html

There probably isn't much power difference between them as they all pinch down between the ABS modual and radiator.
I would suggest you look at the installation instructions for the ones you're interested in to note the details of each. Summit or Jegs usually have a link to a PDF. Much better than just looking at pics of them.

Last edited by guppymech; 10-03-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
No problem man. Try some junkyards and if no luck, give eBay a look. And honestly I wouldn't know but I don't think the extra length would even matter, the Moroso goes down in a hole in the body of the car in between all the Splash panels on the front end of the car, on the drivers side of my car I actually cut a square of it out to have cold air forced into near/around the area of the filter for more outside air. But like I said it's really looking at hyper scientific things between different cold air intakes. Same for mufflers, I've had magnaflow, hooker... SLP LM2 and my car hen it was bolt on, and now being crammed and built, none of those catbacks made the car feel any different because like I said. We're talking the difference between 1-3 HP here. If all else fails and you can't find a moroso, a lid conversion seems to flow the best and look coolest
Yeah, I was checking out a lid conversion! Don't think I'll do that though. I wouldn't mind eventually finding an Ultra-Z hood and maybe using a ram air setup for that! I found a few Moroso intakes on eBay, Summit, Jegs, ws6store.com, and Hawk's Third Gen. They are definitely out there! Doubt I'll luck out at a junkyard around here, because nobody, and I mean nobody in my area has any modded lt1 F-bodies

When I was shopping for a cai between the ones in this thread I felt the Lingenfelter was designed the best. I like that the tube has a ear on it that connects it to the radiator upper support with a push pin like the stock air cleaner. The S&B washable cone filter measures 9" tall by 6" dia tapering to 5" dia and connects directly to the tube. I made a thread when I noticed Lingenfelter appeared to be discontinuing them.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...rtube-cai.html

There probably isn't much power difference between them as they all pinch down between the ABS modual and radiator.
I would suggest you look at the installation instructions for the ones you're interested in to note the details of each. Summit or Jegs usually have a link to a PDF. Much better than just looking at pics of them.
Yeah, the Lingenfelter sounds nice, and that's a big filter! Maybe I'll look around just for the heck of it though.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Launching!

So does anyone actually know if the Moroso is going to work on my 1995? I don't want to buy one and then have it not fit. As far as I can see the only difference is that the pipe is a bit longer since a 93 doesn't have a MAF.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

So does anyone actually know if the Moroso is going to work on my 1995? I don't want to buy one and then have it not fit. As far as I can see the only difference is that the pipe is a bit longer since a 93 doesn't have a MAF.
I'm pretty sure it would be fine. The length difference is maybe 1". But I can't ensure that it will fit. I just don't see why it wouldn't.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I guess if the only difference is that longer inlet tube on the left I should be good to go since that can be cut to size.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

The Moroso and K&N CAI have a similar design and make about the same horsepower. I have a K&N CAI and could feel a difference after installing it.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
The Moroso and K&N CAI have a similar design and make about the same horsepower. I have a K&N CAI and could feel a difference after installing it.
Yeah, that was my other question. Does a CAI really make that much of a difference? Is the stock intake and paper filter the weakest link in an lt1 intake system?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Owned both the K&N and a Moroso on another one of my LT1's and didn't notice much of a difference install wise. Not sure if they still offer it but lingenfelter put out a pretty fairly priced LT Cai.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, that was my other question. Does a CAI really make that much of a difference? Is the stock intake and paper filter the weakest link in an lt1 intake system?
Its definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Ok, thanks for the input!

Lingenfelter is discontinued unfortunately. From what I see the only choices are K&N, Moroso, SLP, or homemade. Not doing a lid, but I might try a ram air setup someday.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

If someone tells you that the difference between 15hp on a street car is unnoticeable, laugh at them and turn away.
My stock air box was holding back 20whp when I was on the dyno. Last couple pulls,Pulled out the stock air box. 20+rwhp!
Stock air box is most definitely a point of massive restriction.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
If someone tells you that the difference between 15hp on a street car is unnoticeable, laugh at them and turn away.
My stock air box was holding back 20whp when I was on the dyno. Last couple pulls,Pulled out the stock air box. 20+rwhp!
Stock air box is most definitely a point of massive restriction.
That sure is a difference! I know going from a stock 275 to 290 will feel like a difference. I need to get my car on a dyno and get a baseline before I do too much.

Quick Reply: Moroso CAI: Discontinued for 1994-97 LT1s?