LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti vs coil

Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti vs coil

Ok well I've seen the threads on the dreaded optis and I've read that the vented option is better which I've been looking and pretty much when buying a replacement you might get lucky might not my ? Is I've herd about an ls coil conversion don't know what all it consists of but is it worth it and what price range am I looking at for converting any input is greatly appreciated and has anyone had any luck with the accel replacements also while I was in the area I noticed the front harmonic seal was leaking I was going to fix that issue along with a water pump but I was thinkin gong of going with a under drive pully anyone have any luck with those?

Last edited by Brandon Asbury; 10-09-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Opti is NOT as bad as the idiots on the internet would have you believe.
The Accels are gabage.
Underdrive pullies work better on vehicles that have a belt driven waterpump.

Very often optis just need a cap and rotor as any other distributor does periodically. MSD makes a cap and rotor kit that adds a vent to the unvented optis.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It also would help if you posted some vehicle info.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 AM

94 z28 113k miles from what it looks like I don't think the thing has been touched all stock I just bought it acouple of weeks ago it drove great til I decided to try and drive it yesterday with it raining
Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It needs a tune-up including cap and rotor. People neglect it on the head because it is more expensive and harder to change than other distributors, then the idiots bash the opti as bad when they are the problem.
MSD cap and rotor kit will add venting and is under $150.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:07 PM

I was under it the other day before hand and they had installed the msd coil and accel wires so I'm assuming they replace the cap and button also but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it hasn't been changed in 10 years or so it looked a little rough with all the grit grime and grease so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope a cap and button works but if it dosnt I was just looking at the options at hand by taking a chance and buying another distributer cause it seems to me after replaceing the factory they never hold up as long I've known some who have had to change them back out within a year and been thru 2 or 3 so looking at cost wise take a chance on replacing it multiple times or go with the conversion and save the headache if you get my drift
Old 10-10-2015, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Asbury
I was under it the other day before hand and they had installed the msd coil and accel wires so I'm assuming they replace the cap and button also but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it hasn't been changed in 10 years or so it looked a little rough with all the grit grime and grease so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope a cap and button works but if it dosnt I was just looking at the options at hand by taking a chance and buying another distributer cause it seems to me after replaceing the factory they never hold up as long I've known some who have had to change them back out within a year and been thru 2 or 3 so looking at cost wise take a chance on replacing it multiple times or go with the conversion and save the headache if you get my drift
The conversion to remove the optical sensor is in the thousands; Multiple optis expensive. Then add in the tuning software and tuning needed.....
Old 10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MSD cap and rotor kit will add venting
it wont; it only has one vent port. optis dont vent in and out through the cap, the other part is in the optical section. you'd have to drill a barb into your existing opti base.

the complete msd replacement opti adds venting, though.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by steveo_
it wont; it only has one vent port. optis dont vent in and out through the cap, the other part is in the optical section. you'd have to drill a barb into your existing opti base.

the complete msd replacement opti adds venting, though.
The MSD venting is not exactly like the stock system, but it does have the vacuum and supply hoses.

http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...pdf?terms=8481
Old 10-11-2015, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^The spline drive opti has 3 vent holes in the base at the bottom that would let fresh air in with the MSD vented cap.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by guppymech
^^^The spline drive opti has 3 vent holes in the base at the bottom that would let fresh air in with the MSD vented cap.
However, the MSD instructions say:

"This kit is supplied with a vacuum
line kit that will aid in venting the
distributor cap. One hose assembly
connects to a vacuum port on the
intake manifold while the other line
connects to the air inlet going into
the throttle body. In order to take
advantage of this venting technique,
you will need to seal the three small
holes on the bottom of the distributor."

Search this Thread