LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AN braided hose to tubing... leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AN braided hose to tubing... leaking.

The AN coupler on the fuel return line, is leaking badly.

When I installed it, I was pretty sure this was going to be a problem because it fit very loose. But I've never done an AN line before, so I thought maybe when it pressurized that it was seat.

The only thing I can think of is that the bevel, about 1.5" off the end of the tube, seems very shallow. The plastic grommet just slides right over it and it will even do so when its in the AN fitting.

Anyone run across this problem and solved it?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture please.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by guppymech
Picture please.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

With that setup there must be a o-ring or some other form of seal in the adapter that clips to the rigid fuel line in the same way the stock hoses connect. The flared connection between the flex line B-nut and the fuel line should not leak unless the flare is scratched or cracked. If it's cracked it will leak worse the more you tighten it. If the leak is coming out of the rigid line adapter check the o-ring or rubber seat, whatever is in there that provides the seal.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

With that setup there must be a o-ring or some other form of seal in the adapter that clips to the rigid fuel line in the same way the stock hoses connect. The flared connection between the flex line B-nut and the fuel line should not leak unless the flare is scratched or cracked. If it's cracked it will leak worse the more you tighten it. If the leak is coming out of the rigid line adapter check the o-ring or rubber seat, whatever is in there that provides the seal.
Thank you.

I notice that the two lines are slightly different diameters. And I see in your photo that the two plastic locking clamps are two distinct colors.

Is the color an indication of size? Or is the seal in the adapter sufficient for two different size tube, such as is on my car and what looks to be the same in your photo.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sent you a PM.

I think they sent you the wrong adapters. The stock feed hardline is 3/8 and return is 5/16. I think they sent you two of the larger feed line ones, both 3/8->6AN.

They should both be HARD to install...very tight to the point where you need to use some form of grease and/or sand paper.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

I'm sorry I don't know, I'd never seen these non-stock fuel line adapter fittings before your question. I just pulled that pic off the web. I deal with AN fittings on aircraft for my job and don't really know much about other fittings the automotive aftermarket has designed to work with aircraft AN fittings. A quick way to check the size of your hard lines is to put a open end wrench on the line, hard lines are sized by OD. ex. 3/8 OD is a AN -6, 7/16 is a -7 and 1/2 is a -8. AN stuff is sized by 16ths.
I did find some fuel line adapter fittings that look like yours and they are made by Russell (p/n 640850)
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
Sent you a PM.

I think they sent you the wrong adapters. The stock feed hardline is 3/8 and return is 5/16. I think they sent you two of the larger feed line ones, both 3/8->6AN.

They should both be HARD to install...very tight to the point where you need to use some form of grease and/or sand paper.
AH HAH! Thank you Master...

I am unworthy.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

I'm sorry I don't know, I'd never seen these non-stock fuel line adapter fittings before your question. I just pulled that pic off the web. I deal with AN fittings on aircraft for my job and don't really know much about other fittings the automotive aftermarket has designed to work with aircraft AN fittings. A quick way to check the size of your hard lines is to put a open end wrench on the line, hard lines are sized by OD. ex. 3/8 OD is a AN -6, 7/16 is a -7 and 1/2 is a -8. AN stuff is sized by 16ths.
I did find some fuel line adapter fittings that look like yours and they are made by Russell (p/n 640850)

Thank you Brother Gup. That's excellent information, sir.

You have now doubled my knowledge of AN hardware.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
AH HAH! Thank you Master...

I am unworthy.

Its easier when you've been there before! With these cars, the majority of the time someone knows the answer to something is because they have already made the same mistake .
Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Puck
Sent you a PM.

My setup is similar to yours. Just make sure that the plastic adapters are the right ones. My kit set me 2 of each size. Like Puck said, they are really hard to get on.
Name:  20150807_141818_zpslhn4oieg.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  353.9 KB
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Huntr1117
My setup is similar to yours. Just make sure that the plastic adapters are the right ones. My kit set me 2 of each size. Like Puck said, they are really hard to get on.
Thank you Hunter. I appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Well, it's been a while since this mess...

Thanks to several of you, and a fair bit of research, (thank you Google) I've since become a bit of an expert in AN history, terminology and all the crap of which I was ignorant... .

In all the reading I did, I discovered also that standard braided line is subject to destruction by ethanol blended fuel.

So... after weeks of debating myself... I decided to scrap the old new lines and fittings and pop for the PTFE gear.

That was ordered tonight... should be here on Christmas Eve... as Santa produces yet another Camaro Solid for Dad!

So MAYBE... I'll be back to what I thought I was two months ago... and on this build, that's like super-sonic progress.

Quick Reply: AN braided hose to tubing... leaking.