LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TPIS intake or coil pack conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TPIS intake or coil pack conversion

https://www.tpis.com/parts/view/36

Had anyone here tried one of these? I'm looking for ways to do away with the opti spark.

Welcome to all suggestions. Been looking at the different coil options. I think the coil pack from the northstar engines would be good to go. The early ones from the Olds Aurora.

My buddy has a junker aurora that runs at his shop now. That's the only reason i was checking those out specifically.

The intake i linked to says your can use a normal distributor, maybe one of those crab style ones would work like from the TPI motor.

I'm not looking for crazy horsepower, maybe 500 max after all is said and done.

I'm sticking with LT1 so don't suggest the, LSx
Old 10-19-2015, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For 500fwhp you should be looking at NONE of that.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

I'm saying 500 max down the line. Ideally, i think somewhere around 450 is what i really want. Something streetable but still a pleasure to cruise around in.

I'm thinking 500 max after a shot of nitrous if i decide to go that route. It's just a number i threw out there after doing some crude brainstorming.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

If the TPIS intake can't handle anything more than the v stock one, why are they even offering it? Just curious why they'll waste their resources on something that doesn't work well enough to warrant replacing the stock setup.

I'm looking at all options that involve doing away with the opti spark. But still keeping the LT1 engine.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
If the TPIS intake can't handle anything more than the v stock one, why are they even offering it? Just curious why they'll waste their resources on something that doesn't work well enough to warrant replacing the stock setup.

I'm looking at all options that involve doing away with the opti spark. But still keeping the LT1 engine.
Same reason you can buy electric superchargers, magnets for gas lines, and air foils for your intake on ebay. Idiots buy em.

24x for the opti removal, unless you know a good LT1 tuner, that A) Lives down the road B) Has access to a dyno C) Can give you the time of day

Being as A,B, and C, are pretty tough these days, 0411 PCM opens up a whole new world for LT1 owners. Don't listen to the idiot purists who will tell you everything worked great back in the day. etc etc etc.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Woah woah woah, air foils work. Also your truck needs exhaust mode, not enough noise
Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The LT1 intake has done over 420rwhp unported on stock shortblocks.................
Far as tuners isn't moehorsepower down around Houston, I think he can manage to tune an LT1.

Well done a heads/cam motor can do 500fwhp, if you are looking at TPIS though you are years off from doing much well, they are awesome if you want to pay top dollar for below average results.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Just lost my entire text.

That's what i thought at first about the intake. Couldn't find anything about it except a few promotion articles.

Just browsing ways to eliminate the opti. What about doing away with the LT1 intake all together.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/power_pack_kits/stealth_ram_multi_port_kits/parts/550-710

I used to drool over this for my first Camaro when i was a kid. But I've never seen many builds with it, i haven't really searched lately.

Just daydreaming right now. Trying to get ideas together to get a solid plan to work towards.

Quick Reply: TPIS intake or coil pack conversion