LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Canton valve covers don't fit for sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canton valve covers don't fit for ****

Picked up some cantons to go with everything else I've done on this cam swap. My cork gaskets showed up today, and could not for the life of me get either of them to fit now. With the rubber gasket, I had the drivers side on and now I can't get it back on. Trans tube is bent out of the way, still no matter what I try they won't start.

I have to re adjust rockers still, and it wants to idle kinda high at 1600 or so. Seemed odd for a fresh start on a new top end. Just so irritated with these valve covers that they fit like **** for a set that costs over 200 bucks...

Any tricks to getting these on?
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is specifically not fitting? Are they laying down flat on the heads? Are you just not able to start the bolts? Have you confirmed the bolts are correct and long enough?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are the right bolts, I had them on before when it was on the engine stand. As best I can tell, and mind you I'm disabled withe low eye sight. They are flat with gaskets in place, which was much easier than the rubber one was.

The bolts just won't start, it's like they are not sitting quite right, but look like they are. No matter how I move and wiggle them, they won't start the bolts.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should note, I have guide plates. I had to move one prior to make the covers clear. Without gaskers they fit fine, as far as dropping on etc. Never bothered to line bolts up, but I probably should try that next.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

A few hours of tinkering later, they are on. The passenger side had to have the tubes bent on all 4 to line up. Was a complete pain in the ***, bit they are on and look fantastic at least.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default valve covers

I had to grind a little off my guide plates then glued the gaskets on the valve covers and bent the **** out of trans dipstick and it kinked so then I got a flexable dipstick but haven't had any leaks fron valve covers.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Canton products are known to have oil control issues when using the supplied windage tray in their pans, the welds known to leak etc. You are buying a part fot the sticker, why would you expect it to actually work?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The Canton products are known to have oil control issues when using the supplied windage tray in their pans, the welds known to leak etc. You are buying a part fot the sticker, why would you expect it to actually work?
Not to add, IMO the stock valve covers look sleek. Especially when someone takes the time to properly paint/anodize them that nice silver color.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once again you show up with ignorance and arrogance. Let alone they don't have a "sticker". I picked mine up to clear my roller rockers while not having to deal with the stock covers, even with trimming mine would not have worked.

I spend hours reading up on parts, buying these I KNEW they would be a bit picky but not THAT bad for a set of covers that cost over $200. You expect quality when you buy something, and it is very well known they had a bad batch of covers. They also will fix them if you send them back, yet I don't think you should have to. It's better than nothing.

My guide plates cleared fine, it took bending all 4 of the tubes and hours of test fitting to get them just right. They sealed up just fine with cork gaskets, and they look amazing. I bent my trans tube a little bit towards the center and I'm in the clear. I posted this so others know they may have more trouble than they think getting these on, but they WILL fit fine with some work. I can't use the back bolt on my alternator as the top of the cover barely stops it from being able to go in. Otherwise they are fine now, but it's not just an out of the box, drop in part like you expect.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock covers can be made to clear anything short of shaft mounts easily........
Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine also leaked, no matter what I did with them. I'm guessing someone over tightened them at some point, or something of the sort. Hence mine would not work, and from my eye ball they would not clear. My poly locks stick up from the nut quite a bit.

Now I'm also partially blind, so that eyeball isn't that great either. I managed to get the covers to work, and frankly that's all I cared about. I made the post pissed that an expensive set of covers didn't fit, maybe there was a trick or something I missed. Maybe others read this and second guess that expensive set of covers, who knows.

Quick Reply: Canton valve covers don't fit for sh!t