LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Simple Self-Aligning Pushrod Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Self-Aligning Pushrod Question

I'm getting ready to do the LT4 hotcam kit and I just have a really simple question. I'm looking into aftermarket pushrods (either manley or compcams), but both of them say 'for use with guideplates: yes'. Does that mean they have to be used with guideplates or not? I plan on running the lt4 1.6 RR's that come with the kit and they are self aligning so I realize that they do not dictate the use of guideplates. But do the pushrods require them because of that annotation? If you are not sure I would appreciate no guessed responses because I do not want any detrimental engine damage based on an uneducated response.

Anyways, thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I imagine they say that to indicate they can be used with guide plates because they are hardened. It should not matter if you don't use guide plates. That's my guess, anyway.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

do not use guide plates with self aligning RR.

The "for use with guide plates" note just means they are hardened and "can" be used with guide plates as opposed to the stock PR you have that are not hardened and should not be used with guide plates.

with that said you can use your existing PR in terms of fitment but many do go to a thicker wall (.080) PR which are stronger (reduce flex) than the stock ones
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As long as you have the right guide plates for a lt1 you can run guides with self aligning.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty_Bird
As long as you have the right guide plates for a lt1 you can run guides with self aligning.
I don't know why anyone would want to do that, even if it worked. What would be the "right" plates?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know regular sbc guide plates arent correct for the lt1, lt1 is more offset, ive heard of trickflow, gmmg i think, isky, etc
Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
I don't know why anyone would want to do that, even if it worked. What would be the "right" plates?
I agree. It would be like wearing two belts.....
Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

do not run guide plates with self aligning rockers I've seen people do it, bad things happen we will just leave it at that, as for pushrods when they say that it means they are hardened and will not be damaged by rubbing on guide plates, you can still use them, your actually better of with a hardened chromoly rod it will have less deflection than a cheap piece

Quick Reply: Simple Self-Aligning Pushrod Question