LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle is high

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idle is high

I tried searching and searching and searching for a thread I had read about aftermarket throttle bodies and high idles. I can't find it again so here it goes.

Throttle body is a Summit 58mm. In the thread I saw it mentioned drilling a small hole, in the throttle body blades maybe? I don't know, I can't find it again.

Car will hold an idle just fine when it comes back down but usually it will idle up around 2k RPMs for an extended period of time before coming back down to the commanded idle. 5 seconds or so?

Here is a shot of the throttle body, I've currently got the water pump off the car so if I want to be pulling this thing to drill some holes, now is the time.

Name:  1122151535_HDR_zps5ih5w4hq.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  299.7 KB
Old 11-23-2015, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you go drilling holes, you will end up with even more air coming in and possibly higher idle. You need to examine your throttle angle and IAC readings with a scanner.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^^

OP, typically aftermarket TB's result in low idle/stall. Unless the stop screw has been messed with.

first confirm you have no vacuum leaks. more common source of high idle

did you push/compress the IAC valve when you swapped it over to the larger TB?? (you killed it if you did)

get a scan tool and read your IAC counts at idle, fully warmed up. They should be 30-35 (32). You can check TPS volts with a DVM or scan tool. They should be .67VDC closed and 4.5 vdc full open. you can adjust the TB stop screw to adjust the TPS vdc should it be off

about drilling the TB....that hole is drilled in the lower center of the TB between blades (where it is on your stock TB....BUT DO NOT BLINDLY DRILL A HOLE UNTIL YOU SCAN FOR WTF YOUR IAC COUNTS ARE. But again that is done to resolve low idle/stalling where the IAC is maxed out to 160ish counts and can't open any more
Old 11-24-2015, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My BBK 58 used to cause high idle once in a while after driving it and it was because it wasn't always closing back down all the way when I let off the gas. I ended up putting a second spring on it, which is a good idea anyway, and it hasn't had the high idle problem ever again. Not saying that is your problem, but it is an easy thing to try.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone, when I put the car back together I'll hook up EFI Live and go do some datalogging. Then I will report back with some figures. Have a good Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
^^^^

OP, typically aftermarket TB's result in low idle...
what i found with mine was there was no port for the iac to feed air when the blades were closed which would cause the engine to stumble and sometimes stall when the pcm had been reset. it woould act this way until the pcm learned to compensate. after drilling the port that stock tb's have, idle quality was good.

Quick Reply: Idle is high