LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Advice on procharger build.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- yes they are the powerpack pistons.
- 55cc (just dug out the reciept from A.I)
- Not sure about the head gasket thickness. (I estimated when i calculated SCR)

If i could pull the heads and get my compression down to even 10ish I would withouth a doubt.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Any idea what dish the pistons have? Clearance to the deck?
Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Teching In

The pistons only have the 2 reliefs for the valves. And i dont know the piston to deck clearance its been 3 years since i assembled the motor and i cant find the paperwork where i wrote this stuff down...
Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the CXracing 4" intercooler will be fine. Many, including myself, have used it. There are better but it is a great bang for the buck.

Go with the Alkycontrol kit and pure meth. It cools big time and gives you ~115 octane when using 94 pump gas. It is the only kit that has components capable of surviving extended meth exposure. The other kits sell "boost juice" that is 50% meth because the components would fail under constant 100% meth use....or use E85 as mentioned.

The 255 fuel pump and meth should get you to 550rw. I used that pump, alky control kit pure meth for many years. I would go bigger on the pump. With the high compression and 4032 (which I had as well) pistons your tuning will have to be spot on. I agree on bigger injectors as mentioned.

Do what you can to lower the compression.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming in a bit late but I'll shed some info on my build which has worked. 31x24x4 (might be 31x21x4) CX Racing intercooler has been fine for me. I may upgrade to a better core in the future but for now, it's supporting good IATs and nearly 800rwhp. Meth wise, I'm using the snow kit with their boost juice (2 nozzles) but it only comes on at 15lbs or higher. For your build, I would recommend using it much earlier to keep things cool.

Definitely start soft on the timing and go from there.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I will go with the cx racing intercooler it is a great value. Too hard for me to find e85 where i live so thats not really an option. As far as the meth and tuning Ill be having it tuned by JnJ Tuning in Buffalo, Ive heard good things about him and we will start very conservative on the tuning and be sure to have it spot on. (like building a card house haha)..

Blackbirdws6 i like the way you plumbed your FMIC does your head unit orient in the same way my P1SC will?? If so ill basically copy you, if you have any more pics id love to see them!

Thanks for all the input guys i was kinda hesitant about buying all these parts but i feel very confident in getting this goin and having it ready for spring!!!
Old 12-20-2015, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Head unit orientation is the same so it shouldn't be hard to replicate. I picked up a basic eBay pipe kit and cut/cobbled it all together while using the engine bay piping from the Procharger kit. There should be a thread in this section of you do a search (twins to fmic). I should have pics on my photobucket as well but let me know if you can't find the thread. I recently had all the charge piping redone otherwise I likely could have sold you all the parts lol.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Head unit orientation is the same so it shouldn't be hard to replicate. I picked up a basic eBay pipe kit and cut/cobbled it all together while using the engine bay piping from the Procharger kit. There should be a thread in this section of you do a search (twins to fmic). I should have pics on my photobucket as well but let me know if you can't find the thread. I recently had all the charge piping redone otherwise I likely could have sold you all the parts lol.
Found the thread now I want that bumper support haha. What did you use for a surge valve and where is it mounted?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

By surge I assume you mean bypass. It was originally welded to the steel elbow right as the intake entered the engine bay. I have now moved it to before the intercooler inlet.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Teching In

got the intercooler kinda set in place not final yet but just wanted to see how it would fit. tell me what you think..
Attached Thumbnails Advice on procharger build.-20160119_180302.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Tough to tell from the pic but looks good. Maybe it can go up a touch? It's worth tossing on the bumper cover for these types of things. Not hanging too low to block some of the air meant for the radiator deflector piece (whatever its called)?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Ya I know what your talking about its high enough that it clears. Waiting for my buddy to weld up the big red and also picked up some pro stars ill throw a pic up next week with the bumper on just to see how it looks.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Getting ready for the dyno looking for a few odds and ends but the car is 95% ready to be tuned. With the smaller pulley i found that the belt is wrapping around the tensioner pulley way more not sure if i should be using a smaller belt or not. I went from the 4.2'' pulley to a 3.4''. I just dont want to put too much pressure on the procharger pulley.

My fuel guage is pinned past full its been this way since i put the racetronix kit in did I miss a ground somewhere?
Old 03-28-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goose_ls1
Getting ready for the dyno looking for a few odds and ends but the car is 95% ready to be tuned. With the smaller pulley i found that the belt is wrapping around the tensioner pulley way more not sure if i should be using a smaller belt or not. I went from the 4.2'' pulley to a 3.4''. I just dont want to put too much pressure on the procharger pulley.

My fuel guage is pinned past full its been this way since i put the racetronix kit in did I miss a ground somewhere?
Could be the level arm is stuck
Old 03-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Teching In

never thought of that ill have to pull out the sending unit and double check thanks!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be careful with the timing, definitely spray meth, and have a tuner that knows what he is doing. Its your higher CR that makes this a bad combo.

I would run E85 if that's an option. Best thing honestly would be to take the time and $ needed to do it right and drop the CR. 9.5:1 would be ideal, but even 10:1 would be much better for boost than 11:1.

You can do it, but your gonna have to play it extra safe. Not sure how "safe" things will be if you turn up the boost by using a different pulley combo. I'd say with E85 or intercooled and meth injected you should be okay with 8-10 psi. Doubt you'll get to 700 RWHP safely without dropping the CR though.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Teching In

I would run e85 but there arent many gas stations that have it near me. With a conservative tune and the meth setup I'd be content with something close to 600hp. My tuner seems confident with the ms3 and 93 octane.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

If you trust your tuner that's where it is at. But its all in how safe it is. I knew a very confident stock bottom end LS1 that was pro-charged once (confident his setup was safe with a conservative tune). He did not make it to his first oil change before his engine went pop.

Not sure what RWHP your safe setup will make safely. I would not personally feel comfortable running anything over 10#'s of boost though. Good luck
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Not sure what RWHP your safe setup will make safely. I would not personally feel comfortable running anything over 10#'s of boost though. Good luck
Did you get your old blower setup sold?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
Did you get your old blower setup sold?
Old blower setup? I've always had my D1SC. It's still in the car. No plans of selling it.

Quick Reply: Advice on procharger build.