LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about Purchasing Headers...Need advice!!! UPDATE: READY TO INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamaroWhoopAss
The labor RATE is reasonable, but I don't think it should take 5-6 hours. Now I haven't intsalled LT's yet and I know they are more of a pain in the ***, but I have had to remove and put back on my stock manifolds before and it only took about 2-1/2 hours combined time, with only hand tools and one jack. The biggest pain in the *** is the rusty manifold bolts and the emissions crap, but I even managed to get mine off without a torch, just pb blaster. I'd say 3-4 hours max, get a second opinion/quote.
Yeah, maybe I'll hit the bolts with PB a few times before I take it anywhere, but a second opinion is a good idea.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
Yeah, maybe I'll hit the bolts with PB a few times before I take it anywhere, but a second opinion is a good idea.
Let us know if you end up getting a different qoute, I'm interested to see...
Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Quotes have been about the same, but both places I've talked to said it wasn't worth putting headers on an Lt1. Yeah I know it isn't going to get the gains that an LS will, but either way, the shops sort of have me rethinking a header investment.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would keep searching until I found a shop that knows what they are talking about. They are either stupid or don't want the job. Either way, I wouldn't want them messing with my car.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I would definitely find another shop that has a clue about lt1s. I'm fortunate enough to live in GA and have Josh from Spartan Performance not too far away. LTs on lt1s make just as much hp as they do on LS1s, you're just starting with more base hp on an LS.

I just got my LPP headers and y in today and they are packaged, branded and badged XS Power. I would've rather had LPP badging since that's what I thought I was ordering but they look like very nice quality. Hoping to get them on next week.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Launching!

At the moment, I'm thinking that I'd rather wait until summer and do it myself. They are a reputable exhaust shop, but I imagine they don't feel like messing with the LT1. They have done them before, but one shop told me it's about an 8 hour job...lol

I know they're all playing it safe, but hell, I'd rather save my $400 and do the job myself.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 AM
TECH Regular

They probably just don't want to do it, unless they are going to get paid handsomly as they quoted. LT's on a stock lt1 are worth about 10-12hp, 15-20 with supporting mods, so they are full of **** saying it aint worth it. Putting LT's on an lt1 is a pain in the *** from what I hear. It's much easier for them to weld up mufflers all day than it is for them to actually have to do something challenging and put headers on your car, which is probably why you're getting these BS claims and quotes. It's tight as hell between the manifolds and wheel well. You will have to feed them in through the bottom, and it is advisable to wrap them with plastic wrap or something similarly thin until the bolts are started so you don't bang and scratch them all up. I would definately be asking guys on here who have them for install tips. I think some people drop the motor mounts and keep the engine on a jack to move it around as necessary to get em up in there. The dipstick gets in the way too and will need removed, but put back in while you can still move the headers around or you may not be able to get it back in. It's not impossible, it just some patience and wiggling. When I put mine on in a few months I'll make a video on my channel for everyone...
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having installed both headers on an LS1 3 times and LT1 twice the LS1 is easier but the LT1 wasn't too bad. As said above, remove dipstick and install back in before tightening down. GREAT time to replace plugs and wires too!!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Launching!

The shop I first talked to gave me the best estimate (5-6 hours). They would probably be able to do it with little to no issues, because they do a lot of exhaust work on performance cars. Plus, the one mechanic owns an LT1 Firehawk, so there's some knowledge of the LT1.

I'm sure it would be quite a task to complete myself, but I'd be able to get it done with help. I'm just wondering, is it really worth doing it myself, or should I just bite the bullet and let someone with access to a lift do it? Either way, a video would be helpful if I decide to do it alone!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on your skill and confidence. You learn a lot doing it yourself. I did all 5 installs solo.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viper
Having installed both headers on an LS1 3 times and LT1 twice the LS1 is easier but the LT1 wasn't too bad. As said above, remove dipstick and install back in before tightening down. GREAT time to replace plugs and wires too!!
The worst part is that I had a friend help replace plugs a few months ago, and a neighbor replaced my wires when he replaced my water pump a couple of years ago.

I wasn't raised in a family that was very into cars, so I don't have that knowledge that most of my friends with cars have. I'd do stuff myself, but I'm mostly just worried that I'll mess something expensive up on my car!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take that 400$ and buy tools with it. Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

An extra pair of hands or two would really help. Beer and pizza might be an investment here.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Take that 400$ and buy tools with it. Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

An extra pair of hands or two would really help. Beer and pizza might be an investment here.
You know, I was thinking the same thing. I could spend the money on some nice tools instead of paying someone to install. I really think some air tools would make certain tasks a lot easier. Maybe not for a header install though.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Just a heads up, Amazon has XS Power long tubes with the y-pipe for $375 with $5 shipping. I just ordered a set
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rjc1629
Just a heads up, Amazon has XS Power long tubes with the y-pipe for $375 with $5 shipping. I just ordered a set
Thanks, that's a good deal.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:23 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll feel better about it if you install them yourself. It can be fairly time consuming, but it's not terribly difficult, particularly if you have any mechanical inclination whatsoever. If you can handle being without your car for a few days in the event there are unforeseen issues to be dealt with, I would go for it.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BTC
You'll feel better about it if you install them yourself. It can be fairly time consuming, but it's not terribly difficult, particularly if you have any mechanical inclination whatsoever. If you can handle being without your car for a few days in the event there are unforeseen issues to be dealt with, I would go for it.
Yep, going without a car is no issue. I basically take it out on nice days to car shows, and every now and again when I just feel like driving it.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm going to have to do some planning if I do it myself. Mainly, I'm worried about having fitment issues with the XS Power Headers.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
Yep, going without a car is no issue. I basically take it out on nice days to car shows, and every now and again when I just feel like driving it.

I'm thinking about it, but I'm going to have to do some planning if I do it myself. Mainly, I'm worried about having fitment issues with the XS Power Headers.
Pb blast the crap out of all the manifold bolts the night before you start (without running it), and twice right before you do it, like 30 min before you start, then 5 min before. The worst case scenario is breaking one of those ******* off in the head. When I took my manifolds off, one of them broke off, thankfully in the manifold, but after it backed out of the head so I was still able to remove the manifold and easily tap it out. But, that was before I discovered PB Blaster. That ****'s amazing, lol. Getting the down pipe off the manifold is equally taxing. But you can just cut that **** off since you are going LT's. Make sure you follow the torque sequence when you install the new headers or your gasket will leak and your car will sound like a shitty 70's ford truck. Also, you are aware that you will be deleting the emissions **** right? You have an air injection line and egr **** that hooks up to the stock manifolds, that most LT's do not. You can just toss the air injection crap, but if no egr hook up, you will need egr block off plates too, since you won't be using the egr anymore. Um, also, some headers don't have a bung for the o2 sensor(s), so that will need adressed also. Either get headers that utilize the o2's, or you will have to tune the car to run without them or there is some way to "trick" the o2's but I'm not sure how that works. Most of them seem to have o2 bungs though, just no egr or air. "Non emissions" race headers, like what you first posted off of ebay. If the xs are the same, rip out all the air injection crap including the pump, and get egr block off plates and rip that **** out too. Most LT's don't support that ****, because it kinda defeats the purpose of putting headers on; it robs power.

Originally Posted by Viper
Yes, change your plugs while the manifolds are off. It will take 10min instead of an hour, lol. Been there, done it both ways; so much easier with them off.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Plugs and wires were done less than 10,000 miles ago, so they probably don't need replaced again. Also, I know I'll have to delete AIR and EGR unless I buy Kooks or Pacesetters, or other more expensive brands, but the engine bay looks much nicer without.

I live in PA, so we have emissions testing, but in my county, I'm exempt from emissions as long as I don't drive the car for more than 5,000 miles in one year (which I don't).
Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Guess I didn't act soon enough, because every set of headers I've been watching just raised in price. F**king bulls**t!!!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about Purchasing Headers...Need advice!!! UPDATE: READY TO INSTALL