LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another oil pump question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another oil pump question

So I went and bought a melling replacement pump and when you spin the shaft it makes a knocking noise. When I spin my old one it does not do that. Does any one know if this is normal before I install it? Thanks for the help
Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortunately, that's fairly typical of the low quality Melling budget line of pumps. Either inspect and use your stock pump, or return the new pump and get one their "Melling Select" pumps.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

As long as it's normal and not an issue it hasn't had oil ran thre it yet either!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ultra 94 z
So I went and bought a melling replacement pump and when you spin the shaft it makes a knocking noise. When I spin my old one it does not do that. Does any one know if this is normal before I install it? Thanks for the help
without a product # we can only assume you bought a standard volume/pressure pump. Given it is NIB without oil it "may" feel like your original when you put some oil in it

with that said, many go with the "select" series of pumps. more because the housing is stouter but there may be better machining of the gears themselves

unless there is something wrong with your original pump, I would go with it and the GM white spring (higher pressure)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Buy a new Gm oil pump. After I've had melling failures at 137 miles and other buddies having major failures they are not worth the metal they are made of. Toss it in the trash and get a gm pump.

Quick Reply: Another oil pump question