LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Battery keeps draining on my 93 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps draining on my 93 trans am

Hey guys I just recently changed my opti spark on my 1993 trans am evey since something has been draining the battery. I put a new battery in and it is still doing the same thing anyone have any ideas what it might be
Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

So your battery was draining, and you changed the optispark to fix it? O.o

Go out and buy yourself a digital multi-meter (if you don't already own one). Disconnect the negative battery terminal, and wire the multimeter in series between the battery terminal and the negative battery cable. Set your meter to current and see what the reading is. Generally anything above 50mA is high.

Then, start pulling fuses and see when the current drops to an acceptable level, you have your culprit and can begin fixing it.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he meant he changed his opti, then after that he started having a dead battery problem.

LT1 owners never could type

a common cause of battery drain is the stereo head unit, oem or aftermarket. you can try pulling that out of the dash and see if that helps.
Also the alarm system especially if an aftermarket one was installed can be the culprit. this is assuming your battery is good and not self discharging... unlikely for a new battery.
using a multimeter to see what current draw there is would be a good idea.

Quick Reply: Battery keeps draining on my 93 trans am