LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1997 K1500; swapping to a 4L65E transmission

Old 02-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 K1500; swapping to a 4L65E transmission

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500, L31 engine. That is a second Gen small block engine. It currently has the original one piece case, 4WD 4L60E. I have the opportunity to acquire a nicely built 4L65E from a friend for a good price. I know i will need a few things for the swap. I have been doing a lot of reading and research and I am having a hard time finding anything definitive. I saw a lot of good information on this forum, and LS1tech was also recommended by my friend.

It is my understanding that the electronics and the electrical connector are the same. I did see one thing that suggested that it was possible that I have a 12 pin connector that lacks a ground wire that the 13 pin connectors have.

It is also my understanding that there is a spacing difference between 2nd gen and 3rd gen engines and i will need to put a 97-98 bell housing on the 65E to account for the spacing difference. Is that true? is it that simple?

Will the GM92 torque converter that is included with the 65E work for my truck? It is my understanding that my truck is PWM. I also need a new TC.

The 65E started life as a 4wd trans, and my friend converted it to 2WD for a project that never was finished. I will need to have it switched back to 4WD.

Am i missing anything? Will this trans work in my truck?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Van Bramer
I have a 1997 Chevy K1500, L31 engine. That is a second Gen small block engine. It currently has the original one piece case, 4WD 4L60E. I have the opportunity to acquire a nicely built 4L65E from a friend for a good price. I know i will need a few things for the swap. I have been doing a lot of reading and research and I am having a hard time finding anything definitive. I saw a lot of good information on this forum, and LS1tech was also recommended by my friend.

It is my understanding that the electronics and the electrical connector are the same. I did see one thing that suggested that it was possible that I have a 12 pin connector that lacks a ground wire that the 13 pin connectors have.

It is also my understanding that there is a spacing difference between 2nd gen and 3rd gen engines and i will need to put a 97-98 bell housing on the 65E to account for the spacing difference. Is that true? is it that simple?

Will the GM92 torque converter that is included with the 65E work for my truck? It is my understanding that my truck is PWM. I also need a new TC.

The 65E started life as a 4wd trans, and my friend converted it to 2WD for a project that never was finished. I will need to have it switched back to 4WD.

Am i missing anything? Will this trans work in my truck?
What year was the 65 taken from? If from a gen3 or newer SBC it's not worth it. Unless you plan on taking the gear train out and putting that in your 60 (which IIRC, is the difference between the 65 and 60).

Last edited by hrcslam; 02-07-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

There are differences in the valve body that may make it not worth your while but I believe you can just run a spacer on the flywheel to account for that gap from a newer 4.3 truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 K1500; swapping to a 4L65E transmission