LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.

Looking to pick up a 97 Z28 tomorrow. It's a hardtop 6 speed. Motor has been rebuilt with all the paperwork and another 1 years worth of warranty left. However there are some issues, the "heat only sometimes works" says the owner, "the clutch or something involving the clutch went out" and some cosmetic stuff that doesn't really bother me. The motor runs, ill verify the motors vitals tomorrow though! What do you guys think? Could the heater core be bad? Maybe the shop put the wrong thermostat in? Maybe that led to a blown head gasket... Any help is appreciated. Asking price is 2500$ but the paint is really bad, windshield is cracked, dash is cracked and some other cosmetic issues so hoping to talk him down to 1500...
EDIT: bought the car, named it a few different things... Because the car is a muscle car I decided it should be named knuckles! Like the muscle style sonic the hedgehog character!

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 04-16-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heater cores commonly get clogged on these cars and are very easy to flush with a hose.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Looking to pick up a 97 Z28 tomorrow. It's a hardtop 6 speed. Motor has been rebuilt with all the paperwork and another 1 years worth of warranty left. However there are some issues, the "heat only sometimes works" says the owner, "the clutch or something involving the clutch went out" and some cosmetic stuff that doesn't really bother me. The motor runs, ill verify the motors vitals tomorrow though! What do you guys think? Could the heater core be bad? Maybe the shop put the wrong thermostat in? Maybe that led to a blown head gasket... Any help is appreciated. Asking price is 2500$ but the paint is really bad, windshield is cracked, dash is cracked and some other cosmetic issues so hoping to talk him down to 1500...
It may be the heater "blend door" is stuck, or a problem with the blend cable. My 94 started having this issue a few months ago. I don't drive much in winter with DRs anyway so I only have working AC at the moment since I use that 75% of the year here in NC.

I'd be wary of someone who says the clutch or something involving the clutch went out...no telling what they did to it to screw things up. $2500 is definitely too high for a LT1 car with all those issues; 6spd or not.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

well its a 19 year old car with....well some wear & tear.

In the $1500-$2500 range you have to understand "work" is needed to bring the car back if that is your intention

"something" wrong with the clutch....could be hydraulics which are around $100...or more if the clutch needs replacement

Typically your mother did not drive a M6 F-body so the car has seen some use/abuse.

If the warranty on engine rebuild is "transferable" good...generally they are not and only cover the part failure, not the labor.

If you are looking for a project car and do most of your own work it could be a good foundation to work from
Old 03-18-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It may be the heater "blend door" is stuck, or a problem with the blend cable. My 94 started having this issue a few months ago. I don't drive much in winter with DRs anyway so I only have working AC at the moment since I use that 75% of the year here in NC.

I'd be wary of someone who says the clutch or something involving the clutch went out...no telling what they did to it to screw things up. $2500 is definitely too high for a LT1 car with all those issues; 6spd or not.
I'm in NC as well. Isn't the LT1 a pull style transmission? Could the fork have been bent? Possibly the pilot bearing be destroyed? Lol I want it if I can talk him down but pulling the Transmission is such a bitch... I'll probably end up trailoring it home unless it's a total POS..
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in NC as well. Isn't the LT1 a pull style transmission? Could the fork have been bent? Possibly the pilot bearing be destroyed? Lol I want it if I can talk him down but pulling the Transmission is such a bitch... I'll probably end up trailoring it home unless it's a total POS..
Pulling a manual is much easier than an auto.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, could be a bent fork....I bent one myself in mine many years ago messing around with a SRT4 Neon of all things.

KBB says a 1997 Z28 6spd with ~150K is worth right around 2K in "fair" condition here in NC. If it's not currently drivable, it's not "fair" condition.....I would say $1500 tops like you mention as you may be buying a whole new clutch kit, I wouldn't bother with a stock clutch if mods are in mind, and they probably are or you wouldn't be posting in this forum! Also be sure to bring up the windshield issue as most places won't pass a car with a cracked windshield unless you know somebody or they just don't give a , yet more $$ to dump into it to get "fair" condition (as in legally drivable/passes inspection). If you were in SC you can getaway with anything....mad-max style.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Yeah, could be a bent fork....I bent one myself in mine many years ago messing around with a SRT4 Neon of all things.

KBB says a 1997 Z28 6spd with ~150K is worth right around 2K in "fair" condition here in NC. If it's not currently drivable, it's not "fair" condition.....I would say $1500 tops like you mention as you may be buying a whole new clutch kit, I wouldn't bother with a stock clutch if mods are in mind, and they probably are or you wouldn't be posting in this forum! Also be sure to bring up the windshield issue as most places won't pass a car with a cracked windshield unless you know somebody or they just don't give a , yet more $$ to dump into it to get "fair" condition (as in legally drivable/passes inspection). If you were in SC you can getaway with anything....mad-max style.
Probably won't do much to this one minus Lower, better shocks, sway bars etc... Already got a catback on it. Might try and find a used CAI if I do get the car. I think im gonna offer 1200$ because I don't wanna pay over 1400$.... It's pretty ratty looking! Good point on the windshield thing with inspection Guess I'll see tomorrow morning.. I'm really excited that I'll be getting back into an Fbody!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Pulling a manual is much easier than an auto.
True. Still somewhat of pain though!
Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

True. Still somewhat of pain though!
I guess so, I'm used to working on some really poorly engineered stuff (for maintenance), so the T-56 set up in the F-Body is good for me. The only difficult one is the middle drivers side bellhousing to engine mount bolt. But only the first time, once I pulled that bellhousing off, I BFH modded that portion of the trans tunnel, no more problems.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

I guess so, I'm used to working on some really poorly engineered stuff (for maintenance), so the T-56 set up in the F-Body is good for me. The only difficult one is the middle drivers side bellhousing to engine mount bolt. But only the first time, once I pulled that bellhousing off, I BFH modded that portion of the trans tunnel, no more problems.
I'll probably do the same. No one will see it but me lol. I'm just worried the rebuild shop screwed something up as shops are notoriously known for doing to LT1's not knowing the little quirks and special things that are different about a LT1 vs a SBC.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Okay so the car was a little above fair condition. No leaks (it was raining today) it had dead battery but I had a jump box and it fired up, run, revved, idled and didn't have any strange noises or anything of the sort. Interior was mint. No rips stains years, dash is in awful condition though lol. But anyways the clutch pedal has NO resistance, it's sorta just dangling there. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd guess seals blown in the clutch slave cylinder or a bad throw out bearing(lip of the bearing has broke).

Had my seals blow a few months ago(first time I've had a slave cylinder blow on me)....the pedal was almost on the floor. I tried to push the plunger back into the cylinder after pulling if from the trans and it squirted fluid everywhere out of the boot.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ACE1252
I'd guess seals blown in the clutch slave cylinder or a bad throw out bearing(lip of the bearing has broke).

Had my seals blow a few months ago(first time I've had a slave cylinder blow on me)....the pedal was almost on the floor. I tried to push the plunger back into the cylinder after pulling if from the trans and it squirted fluid everywhere out of the boot.
He said he replaced the slave cylinder but I will have to check. I'm still betting on the fork or the hydraulic springs went out in the cheap autozone clutch. I will let everyone know when I get it home tonight!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Bought the car guys.. Got it home and I'm really excited. I'll post pics tomorrow so y'all can help me name it! I'm gonna change the thread to a build thread now.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

You name your cars too? If you're not planning on anything more than bolt ons, a stock replacement clutch is your best bet.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

You name your cars too? If you're not planning on anything more than bolt ons, a stock replacement clutch is your best bet.
Yeah i do did you name yours? The car already has a MF cat back, moroso CAI and 4.10 rear end gears. My plans are SFCs, sway bars and possibly shocks. Already has BMR springs on bilsteins but I would assume they're wore out lol. I'm thinking of using a luk clutch from rock auto. Anybody use these?

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 03-30-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

I name all my cars. Zelda is the Z28, Betsy was the Suburban I had. My wifes old Ion was Gwen. And her new Focus is Annie (it's a Red Ford Focus Hatchback, I don't like red cars, she doesn't like hatchbacks, I don't like 4 cylinders or FWD, and we both don't like Ford, so it's our redheaded step child; but it serves our needs well and the price was right so we bought it). I just bought a beat up old 1995 Silverado C1500 for $500. Trying to figure out a name for it now. LOL

You gotta post up pics man!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

clear coat peeling from rear bumper. Also has the ugly tail lights. Need to go to the local pull a part and find some LT1 style tail lights.

On jack stands lol

Hard top so no leaks/rattles! Score! Gonna sand this and plasti dip it along with the sail panel.

30th anniversary interior is actually mint. No rips stains or tears.

excited to find it has a hurst shifter.

Cracked dash...

Headliner is falling down. Gonna reupholster this my self.

Engine bay. Found something rare in here, a Throttle body elbow that ISNT ripped! Also has a MINT moroso CAI, along with a 6AL box. Which unfortunately was wired into the harness...

And the MAF sensor has wires that are but spliced to be extended I guess to be longer??

Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like NOS solenoids on the passenger shock tower.

Quick Reply: Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.