LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Maybe my fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maybe my fuel pump?

Hi guys, got an odd one here that I need some help with.

I was driving into work the other day and my car just shut off. It would crank but not fire. I just happened to have my fuel pressure tester with me, so I hooked it up and had 0 psi.

After a few minutes of sitting, it fired up and would run for about 10 seconds before dying again. It continued to do this until I got it back home.

Today I went out to make sure it was the pump and not a relay or a bad ground or something, and it runs perfectly. I can't get it to repeat the problem so I can't test anything.

I would still think it was just the pump, but it had one other issue when it was dying. Every time it shut off, the fuel gauge would start going nuts, it would usually end up pointing at the 2-3:00 position. Whenever the car started, the gauge would go back to normal right before it fired.

Am I overthinking this? Is it just a bad pump?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94zrag
Hi guys, got an odd one here that I need some help with.

I was driving into work the other day and my car just shut off. It would crank but not fire. I just happened to have my fuel pressure tester with me, so I hooked it up and had 0 psi.

After a few minutes of sitting, it fired up and would run for about 10 seconds before dying again. It continued to do this until I got it back home.

Today I went out to make sure it was the pump and not a relay or a bad ground or something, and it runs perfectly. I can't get it to repeat the problem so I can't test anything.

I would still think it was just the pump, but it had one other issue when it was dying. Every time it shut off, the fuel gauge would start going nuts, it would usually end up pointing at the 2-3:00 position. Whenever the car started, the gauge would go back to normal right before it fired.

Am I overthinking this? Is it just a bad pump?
That is kinda odd! Maybe the pump is on its way out and it's basically cooking itself alive and getting so hot it's shutting down? Just a weird thought... How much gas was in the tank when it happened?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
That is kinda odd! Maybe the pump is on its way out and it's basically cooking itself alive and getting so hot it's shutting down? Just a weird thought... How much gas was in the tank when it happened?
I had about 3/4 tank. I also thought it might be getting hot, so I went out for a 1/2 hour drive today with some full throttle runs and it didn't skip a beat.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

I had about 3/4 tank. I also thought it might be getting hot, so I went out for a 1/2 hour drive today with some full throttle runs and it didn't skip a beat.
Stock pump? How old is the pump on there now?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Stock pump? How old is the pump on there now?
It's a walbro 255. I've probably had it on there about 8-10 years. It's probably due to be replaced, but I hate to throw parts at the car without knowing that's really the problem.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I would check your grounds, I have an S-10 that when the ground went bad on the frame near the pump the gauge would jump all over the place and no fuel pressure. cleaned up the poor ground connection and it was fine after that.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

It's a walbro 255. I've probably had it on there about 8-10 years. It's probably due to be replaced, but I hate to throw parts at the car without knowing that's really the problem.
I'd honestly keep driving it until it dies, and truly variety the fuel pump died. It's weird that at one point having 0 pressure, to now you say "not skipping a beat" which I assume means starting and running perfect. I feel if it were on its way out it would show some sort of hard, extended starting or maybe some bogging in the higher RPM's but who knows. If you have the racetronix Hotwire kit I would check your ground first. Check the relays and fuses, and I'd test fuel psi again now that it's running fine to make sure it's spec. Maybe you just had one of those weird one time problems lol
Old 05-22-2016, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I was driving into work the other day and my car just shut off.

It would crank but not fire. I just happened to have my fuel pressure tester with me, so I hooked it up and had 0 psi.

After a few minutes of sitting, it fired up and would run.....before dying again.

It continued to do this until I got it back home.......
When this happened to me, it was a blown head gasket, believe it or not.

Blown gasket allowed antifreeze to get into two combustion chambers to such an extent that the cylinders wouldn't fire and the engine would shut off.

Check your oil to ensure it's not contaminated with coolant (foamy and/or looking like chocolate milk). At least you can rule out a blown gasket.

KW
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
When this happened to me, it was a blown head gasket, believe it or not.
He had zero fuel pressure, A bad head gasket isn't going to cause that.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had cleaned off the grounds yesterday just because I couldn't think of anything else. I do have the hotwire kit, I had checked its fuse and the wiring when this first happened, and everything looked good.

I really have no choice but to just drive it and hope it doesn't leave me stranded somewhere.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:51 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe it's wiring or an issue with the sending unit. That may explain the simultaneous issue with the gauge.

Quick Reply: Maybe my fuel pump?