LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about flange setup. Going from 2.5 duals to 3"

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about flange setup. Going from 2.5 duals to 3"

My 383 LT makes a bit over 500 at the flywheel, and with the nitrous Im installing about 650 so I'm stepping up from 2.5 duals with H pipe to 3 " duals with H pipe. Its pretty cheap to try on my own, and I can always go back to 2.5" since I'm doing the 3" from scratch. Havent removed the 2.5" yet, but my question is about the pipe to header flange. I have Jet hot's which are 3" headers I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), and I have a length of 3" exhaust tubing I bought. Its just straight tubing. Where it meets the header, do I need to have the tubing flared? I plan on welding the new 3" flange to the new 3" tubing to bolt to the header flange. Whats the best way to go about that? Just line it up flush with the end of the new tubing and weld? My dad will be helping with the welding. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can mount it flush, but make sure the faces that are against the gasket are nice and flat, and that your welds do not interfere with the bolts. I would do a continuous bead on the outside, and grind for bolt clearance. 3 inch does come much closer to things on the drivers side, so you may have to dent and ding the pipe around a few things to tuck it up close.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS Sick
You can mount it flush, but make sure the faces that are against the gasket are nice and flat, and that your welds do not interfere with the bolts. I would do a continuous bead on the outside, and grind for bolt clearance. 3 inch does come much closer to things on the drivers side, so you may have to dent and ding the pipe around a few things to tuck it up close.
Thanks. Yeah I see it will be close to the floor, but atleast mine is short and dumped before the axle

Quick Reply: Question about flange setup. Going from 2.5 duals to 3"