LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking to do some boost...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to do some boost...

Hey guys. Looking to turbo build my LT1. Right now I'm looking at rear mount turbo setup. Can't really find any "kits" so I know some fabbing will have to suffice. I also know HAWK584 did a rear mount setup.
This is my DD
Pretty much street/strip use
Just looking to have some fun. I have most of the parts ready... just looking for some input and advise from any of the LT1 guys. Thanks
Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an STS setup for over 10 years. You could try to score a used kit if there are any left floating around. You don't want to go to big on the turbo since spool is worse being so far from the engine. It's not as efficient as a front mount, but allows you to keep your AC, engine bay isn't cluttered and HOT, and can still be emissions legal. I'm reasonably happy with mine, although the turbo is undersized for my new, bigger engine I put in last year. I plan to upgrade it and add a water/meth system in the near future.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Yeah I've got some goodies lined up, and parts sitting in the garage. Read a post about thermal dynamics going into the rear turbo. So plan on wrapping the headers and exhaust to the turbo. It's something u don't see. I already have the hot piping... just need the oil lines, pump, turbo, filters, piping to the front. Most rear mounts haven't been descriptive enough whether they ran inner coolers... and size piping flowing to the front. So looking for mostly some advice on those factors. Any tidbits ur willing to share?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There are front mount complete kits if you google search
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Hit up call911 about who built his front mount kit, not all are built right and I have one to prove that.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:14 AM
Teching In

I'm not looking for front mount. If I have an issue... then everything has to be disassembled... I'd rather keep rear mount... simplicity... and something I think that will be fun.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

you shouldn't wrap headers or anything on the exhaust under a car that's a DD, road salt, grime, oil etc get soaked into it and can rust the exhaust faster and potentially create a fire hazard over time. Not a big deal on a track car, but I think the cons outweigh the pros on a street car.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroVsMustang
I'm not looking for front mount. If I have an issue... then everything has to be disassembled... I'd rather keep rear mount... simplicity... and something I think that will be fun.
Unless you're good at fabricating then I would opt for a centrifugal supercharger. Because you will either be buying someone's used kit that is likely missing parts or paying a shop to completely build one for you.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm getting ready to sell one of the most innovative front mount turbo setups for a LT1 F-body. I designed the layout with Jon (RealQuick) and he fabricated it. Extremely nice setup.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
you shouldn't wrap headers or anything on the exhaust under a car that's a DD, road salt, grime, oil etc get soaked into it and can rust the exhaust faster and potentially create a fire hazard over time. Not a big deal on a track car, but I think the cons outweigh the pros on a street car.
Well I'm in a climate that I'm not worried about wrapping the headers. Done it a few times before. Rain is OK... as long as u ain't mudding or finding water ponds to drift in... I'll take my chance, something to consider... but more than likely I will be doing a wrap...
Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myltwon
Unless you're good at fabricating then I would opt for a centrifugal supercharger. Because you will either be buying someone's used kit that is likely missing parts or paying a shop to completely build one for you.
Problem here is 3 things...
A: centrifugal chargers gonna run 5k... I don't have that kind of free cash... unless someone would like to donate for me...

2: I already said I don't want front mount. Because hotter temps under the hood, excessive parts to pull if there happened to be an issue...

3: the only thing I have to fab is a 3" pipe when I run the long tubes, cause all I'm doing is basically cutting the exhaust at the muffler. Everything else like the charge pipe is an easy install if ur know what ur looking for. Maybe an intercooler... I know I need to fab some oil lines... and some exhaust running out the exit of the turbo. I do that stuff all the time. So an afternoon working on the car doesn't bother me...
Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JasonShort
I'm getting ready to sell one of the most innovative front mount turbo setups for a LT1 F-body. I designed the layout with Jon (RealQuick) and he fabricated it. Extremely nice setup.
That maybe what changes my mind... rear to front.... but honestly... unless it's practically free... or at a price I can see that's worth it... I can't really see myself going that route. But I'm willing to take a look, I ain't about boys lol.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Meant not about no's... not boys.... damn auto-correct
Old 07-09-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem here is 3 things...
A: centrifugal chargers gonna run 5k... I don't have that kind of free cash... unless someone would like to donate for me...

2: I already said I don't want front mount. Because hotter temps under the hood, excessive parts to pull if there happened to be an issue...

3: the only thing I have to fab is a 3" pipe when I run the long tubes, cause all I'm doing is basically cutting the exhaust at the muffler. Everything else like the charge pipe is an easy install if ur know what ur looking for. Maybe an intercooler... I know I need to fab some oil lines... and some exhaust running out the exit of the turbo. I do that stuff all the time. So an afternoon working on the car doesn't bother me...
If you can weld and bend pipe yourself then a turbo setup is a great option, not everyone can or has the means to do so hence why I asked. I will say though you will want to run stock manifolds with a rear mount.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Centrifugals are nowhere near $5k if you buy used. There's no shortage of S-trims and P1SCs floating around for ~$1500. That's cheaper than most used turbo kits I see.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Centrifugals are nowhere near $5k if you buy used. There's no shortage of S-trims and P1SCs floating around for ~$1500. That's cheaper than most used turbo kits I see.
An actual brand new supercharger kit... runs between 3k (vortech) and 5.4k (ProCharger) getting used... well that's a 50/50 chance I don't want to take. And at 1500 for a used unit... I'd rather buy a brand new setup... turbo mount kit... and know it's brand new.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Launching!

The intake piping on my STS setup is 2.25" OD in case you are wondering. It just BARELY fits between the driver side exhaust manifold and the body. Let me know if you have any other questions about my rear mount and I'll try to answer.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro_freak
The intake piping on my STS setup is 2.25" OD in case you are wondering. It just BARELY fits between the driver side exhaust manifold and the body. Let me know if you have any other questions about my rear mount and I'll try to answer.
yeah I have a couple questions...
What size is ur exhaust running into the turbo?
What size turbo u running?
What size injectors did u go with?
How did u do ur oiling system for the turbo?
Are you running headers at all?
You running an intercooler?

Just some of the questions I have, and thanks I appreciate it...
Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Launching!

yeah I have a couple questions...
What size is ur exhaust running into the turbo?
What size turbo u running?
What size injectors did u go with?
How did u do ur oiling system for the turbo?
Are you running headers at all?
You running an intercooler?

Just some of the questions I have, and thanks I appreciate it...
It's the stock '96 Camaro exhaust all the way to the turbo, with maybe a 2 foot section of piping from STS that mates the car's exhaust pipe to the turbo. I think the stock exhaust on the '96 is 2.75".

The turbo is the base unit that STS sold back in the day, a Garrett 60-1. Not sure of any other specs associated with it. I am planning to upgrade to a bigger ball bearing turbo in the near future to feed my bigger engine and run more boost.

I'm running 42 lb Ford/SVO injectors that will need to be upgraded when I go for more boost and bigger turbo.

The STS oil system uses an existing port on the block near the oil filter with a stainless braided line that goes back to the turbo. The return uses a scavenging pump near the turbo. The rubber return line goes to the oil fill tube on the passenger side valve cover.

I am running stock manifolds that I slightly ported to better match the rectangular exhaust ports of the AFR heads. I am not running an intercooler. I figure with the long intake tubing that adding an intercooler would just delay and drop the boost more. I MAY go with a water/meth injection system at some point in the future.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Teching In

OK Camaro freak... I thought u said u were stock... and not AFR heads lol. Are u running an OptiSpark setup? What kind of PSI are u running? Garret 60 is a 60mm correct? I figured most rears aren't running intercooler. Did u fab any additional brackets for the turbo/exhaust at all? Is there anyway u can send me some pics? Got facebook at all? Lol. Trying to get some better ideas... when I start doing this. Thanks again. I much appreciate the help

Quick Reply: looking to do some boost...