LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Backfiring through intake after opti install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring through intake after opti install

Finally got a new (parts store) opti in my car, started and ran like crap, so I made sure all the wires were on correct best I could, I had #7 & #1 mixed up at first, fixed that and it ran only marginally better. Pulled the opti back off this morning and reinstalled making sure everything was right, found one wire a pulley cut into and another it grazed a little bit, put some electrical tape over the small damaged part on one of them (lol I'm really sick of going to the store just a bandaid momentarily), tried to start it and it back fired through the intake a couple times and I stopped, I don't think that the damaged wire would be causing that, it ran fine but shut itself down when it actually started prior to this with the old opti.
I'm sure it could be the parts store opti.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Splined opti or is it cam pin driven? Did you have to force it on? My bet is it was not aligned correctly when installed or you still have wire(s) mixed up or both.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Splined opti or is it cam pin driven? Did you have to force it on? My bet is it was not aligned correctly when installed or you still have wire(s) mixed up or both.
It is pin driven, (95) it was sitting about 1-2mm off the mounting point when I installed it yesterday so I pulled it back off today and tried it in the wrong spot just the see what it felt like and I for sure have it in the right slot on the opti, I marked all the wires and I was able to check all the ones on the drivers side and they were all correct, I believe I have the passenger side correct as well but its kind of hard to tell with how tight it is, I'm not even sure my next course of action other than trying a different opti.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Village Troll

Backfiring is almost always a sign of a timing issue, so...
Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Backfiring is almost always a sign of a timing issue, so...
That would be the reason I'm lost. I'm not saying it isn't the timing I'm wondering what has caused it to be off. I'm going to recheck plugs again when I have a chance but I am fairly positive they are correct.

Last edited by Thirdgens88; 08-26-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand is the opti. Anything other than Delphi or MSD is going to be hit or miss.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

Three things could cause your issue after a Opti swap

1. Cam dowel pin is not in correct slot on opti
2. plug wires are on wrong
3. your "new" opti is bad (Way more likely if it is not a AC Delco or Delphi)

the Opti should sit dead nuts flush against timing cover , which it will installed correctly, and should NOT be pulled in tight to timing cover with the hold down bolts

whatever Opti you get, remove rotor and use loc-tite on rotor screws
Old 08-26-2016, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

[img]http://image.vetteweb.com/f/9005274/...eplacement.jpg[/img]
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Took the pos "new" opti out and cleaned and reinstalled the old one because I didn't want to drive to get a replacement today and wanted to make sure I hadn't installed something wrong , the new junk opti dimensions must have been off because every way I tried it it sat off the cover a couple mm while the OEM one sits flush like i assumed the new one should. With the old opti in it fired right up but still shuts off randomly soon after starting,(my problem to begin with), the problem was definitely the new opti.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Thirdgens88
With the old opti in it fired right up but still shuts off randomly soon after starting,(my problem to begin with), the problem was definitely the new opti.
If it's ignition then that could be a coil issue. If not then your fuel pump may be on its way out. Get a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure first. With the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator it should be between 43 and 45psi with 43.5 being optimal.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Teching In

If it's ignition then that could be a coil issue. If not then your fuel pump may be on its way out. Get a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure first. With the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator it should be between 43 and 45psi with 43.5 being optimal.
Looked at alot of stuff it could be,ICM,coil & 42~ fuel pressure constant, was having no spark and no injector pulse when it didn't run with the old opti. Runs off and on like an ICM issue sometimes for extended periods sometimes won't start at all. It gets a SES light before it shuts down if it runs for more than a minute. With new opti in it started and ran every try as long as I had my foot on the gas to hold the rpms up which is why I pulled it back out and reinstalled. I bought it with a "bad fuel pump". It very well could be something else other than the opti but from where I am I think the optical sensor is the issue but I could be wrong.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
What brand is the opti. Anything other than Delphi or ACDelco is going to be hit or miss.
Corrected.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Switched optical sensors from new opti into old and it runs. Probably going to order a GM opti in a couple days now that i know thats my issue. Sprayed the opti down pretty good because I didn't have a good clamp on the hose that is right over the optical sensor. It misses and backfires through intake when you give it too much gas at once now, going to do plug wires since I ruined some of mine with a pulley and let the opti dry out and see what happens from there.

Quick Reply: Backfiring through intake after opti install