LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 impala SS fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1996 impala SS fuse box

the dealer told me to replace the fuse box in the engine compartment with a new one because the pins of the fuse box are worn out specially the pins of the relays of the radiator fans. any one knows where to get a new fuse box for 1996 impala SS and how to install it?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a customer that his impala would drive around great then either die or start running rough, one day while it was idling way rough I leaned on the fuse box and it cleared up and started running good, then we drove around and it would randomly die, I would wiggle the fuse box while he was cranking and it would start up, so dont know it the whole box was bad or just some bad wiring, but it does happen..
Old 10-04-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

GM issued a TSB for the problem. It involves installing the relays outside the under-hood fuse block.

go to: www.innovativewiring.com and buy Garys dual fan relay kit

No need to replace the entire under-hood fuse block
Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the replies. actually, there is burnt pins at the primery fan pins and secondary fan pins of the fuse box and the primary fan is working but the secondary fan is not working right or even at all (there is overheating to 3/4 mark of the temp gauge) because the previous owner of the car connected the primary fan relay and the secondary fan direct (or actually the secondary fan relay only direct) and that thing caused the secondary fan ( A/C fan) to not work.

maybe cleaning the priamry and secondary fans pins will make the secondary fan working, correct?

thanks for help.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

unless you can get the pins to look like new, what can happen is the slag or whatever you call whats on the surface of the pins from burning could cause a higher resistance which in turn will make it draw more amps and could cause the pins just to burn again...I did this on a relay for my fuel pumps, I tried cleaning the connections, it still got hot and burned the wires. After I replaced it with new connections, no problem
Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if your under hood relay/fuse block looks like the pic....the plastic surrounding the "female" pin where the relay plugs in melts causing the female part of the connection to come out of the fuse block or become so burnt there is no longer a connection. The relay itself will also show signs of melting/burning of the plastic and male pins

This was a problem for the B-bodys mostly in fleet use (cops & taxi use) and GM issued a TSB

Certainly finding a replacement fuse/relay block and then taking all the wires from old one and putting in new one would be a option...but won't fix the "cause".

I suspect in Kawait the temps are generally hotter than here in US so fans are running alot

Just get the fan relay kit from the link I posted before. Gary @ Innovative Wiring makes excellant products
Attached Thumbnails 1996 impala SS fuse box-fan-relay-burnt-box.jpg  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, i discovered something new. the PCM scan test of the dealer said that i have DTC P1641 and P1642, i did a search and found that the ECT sensor that is screwed in the water pump needs to be replaced with a new one. actually i have a new one but it is not a GM or AC delco brand, it is another brand i can't remember what it is?

my radiator fans are not working right and the engine is overheating to 3/4 mark of the temp gauge.

maybe the ECT that is pulgged in the water pump is not compatible with PCM?

or the ECT plug needs cleaning by dilectric electronic cleaner spray?

any ideas?

Quick Reply: 1996 impala SS fuse box