LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 TA complete rebuild. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 97 TA complete rebuild. HELP

Just purchased a trans am. No transmission. I have the block for the motor. Basically im wanting to do a Lloyd elliot LE2 top end. It was a T-56 car. Also it came with long tubes. Ive never built a motor before. Im not wanting to do nothing to crazy. Needing advice all around. On a cheap budget. Should I go auto or 6-speed. Am I in over my head. Lol thanks for any and all advice. Good or bad
Old 10-20-2016, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Starring with a t56 car you'll be easier to stay t56 as your pcm, harness, etc are already set for it. However, your cost will be more expensive to start as they run $1000-1200 on average. PM me if you need help, I've been through a "few".
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

One, dont get discouraged by comments and or doing the work yourself, A friend of mine never changed spark plugs on a car and took on a rebuild for the first time, I just helped him with advice and the only work I did was set his valve lash, he did it, and so far has about 10.000 miles on the motor with absolutely no problems..He pulled the motor (97 T/A) everything thru research, just do the same....A lot of good people on this forum will help you out..
Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kris72079
Starring with a t56 car you'll be easier to stay t56 as your pcm, harness, etc are already set for it. However, your cost will be more expensive to start as they run $1000-1200 on average. PM me if you need help, I've been through a "few".
Awesome. I'd rather have a t56 car. Even if it's a little more expensive. A lot more fun to drive.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
One, dont get discouraged by comments and or doing the work yourself, A friend of mine never changed spark plugs on a car and took on a rebuild for the first time, I just helped him with advice and the only work I did was set his valve lash, he did it, and so far has about 10.000 miles on the motor with absolutely no problems..He pulled the motor (97 T/A) everything thru research, just do the same....A lot of good people on this forum will help you out..
I'm ready to do it. I know a little bit about cars as I've helped friends with their cars and trucks. Just nervous I guess when it comes to my time, money, and effort lol
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you make a mistake don't worry later on it becomes "Experience". Get on Amazon, they have several good books on re building the LT1/4 engines. Good reference and lotsa pictures. FWIW
Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's tons of info on the net and it's always good to pick up a few manuals. Start reading and once you start doing it'll all come together and make sense. Don't worry about making mistakes, the only bad thing that comes from a mistake is if you don't learn from it.

At one time or another we all didn't know anything, we have all started somewhere and have learned what we know, and for most of us, we're always learning.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, for my opinion, keep the T56, it's worth it. If the short block is in good condition, do and cam and head upgrade, put the long tubes on, delete the EGR, and get a tune. You'll have a fun, quick LT1 without breaking the bank, and a top end rebuild is a great way for a beginner to get their feet wet before diving into a complete engine rebuild.

Quick Reply: 97 TA complete rebuild. HELP