LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 impala ss alternator fix

Old 10-26-2016, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will try today the 74-60 battery and see how long it will last.

hope there is no short in the wiring.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a multimeter you can probe around the fuse box with the car off to try and find the amp draw. My wifes G6 would kill a battery in a month or less, turned out it was the radio.

The fuses have two contact points on the top that you can put multimeter leads to in order to test it without pulling anything out. Just go one by one in the engine bay and the dash fuse box looking for any amperage draw.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed the new AC Delco 74-60 battery today and the same problem happened, the car will overheat and the fans will not work properly. the primary fan turned on after the temp gauge needle went to the third mark and the secondary fan will not work. and then when I turn off the car and then turn on again will not turn on and there is no electricity in the car I measured the voltage of battery and it was 12.8 v but the car wil not turn on. maybe it is the security system of the car shut the off because the engine overheated. the coolant sensor that goes into the water pump is new p# AC Delco 213-928. and the water pump is new.

here in Kuwait car electricians will connect the secondary fan relay to the wire of the positive terminal of the battery that goes to the stud of under hood fuse box by a wire (and that was done to my impala when I bought it around a year and a half ago), I always tell them this is a wrong way to make the engine go cooler. I tell them if you want the engine to be cooler you have to program the PCM so that the engine go cooler by turning the fans earlier.

now their way of connecting the sec fan relay with the + wire of the battery that going to the fuse box surely did ruin something?! can you tell what thing got ruined?

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-28-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

wiring the secondary fan directly to +12vdc will make it run all the time and certainly drain the battery unless they wired it to be only on when key is on. The fan motor would likely eventually burn up from being on all the time

pull the two fan relays from the under-hood fuse block and look to see if the pins are burnt and the plastic around the place they plug into is melted/burnt. This would cause the fans to either not work or become intermittent. GM issued a TSB for this issue and the fix was to move the primary fan relay out of the fuse block. www.innovativewiring.com makes a fan relay harness that does this

you can just use +12vdc power to test the fan motors themselves. Also unplug the temp sensor on front of water pump and both fans should come on but if the relays are bad they wont
Old 10-28-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks ******, I will check with innovative wiring.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

first confirm your relays and underhood fuse block are a issue. You will easily see if it is burnt/melted

you mention someone previously wired the secondary fan up other than factory so that alone needs to be corrected. If the fuse block is melted around some of the pins of the relays than innovativewiring has a relay kit you can install which would resolve proper electrical feed to fans. Confirm the fan motors themselves are good by just runnning a test + 12 vdc to the secondary one to confirm the fan motor works. If not you need to replace that fan motor

if your fuse block looks like this....need to go with the innovative fix
Attached Thumbnails 1996  impala ss alternator fix-fan-relay-burnt-box.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK.

I will try to post a pic of the fuse box so you can see how it look likes.

but my fuse box is burnt at the secondary fan relay pins some how less than what in the pic you posted.

the plastic is almost not melted but there is burnt blot at the relay place of the sec fan relay place in the fuse block and there one of the secondary fan pins in the fuse box is a little loose.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, before i buy the TSB harness kit i want to try cleaning the fuse box fan relays pins by an electronic cleaner and a knife. some one mentoined a knife that can do something like sand cleaning the pins of the fuse block but i can't remember what brand it was, any one can remind me what the brand of that knife? it has long handle and very short epee.

if cleaning the pins of the fans relays didn't work i want to replace the pins, where can i get fuse box fan relays pins for my impala?

now if replacing the pins didn't work then i will use the TSB harness kit.

the plastic beside the relays pins are not that burnt they almost look as stock.

thanks for help
Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

here are pictures of my impala fuse box and the fuse box cover. there are burns only on the middle of the fuse block at on your right hand side at the sec fan relay pin. only the plastic around one pin was burnt were the previous owner connected the wire to sec fan pin from the power wire of the fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails 1996  impala ss alternator fix-my-1996-impala-fuse-block.jpg   1996  impala ss alternator fix-my-1996-impala-fuse-block-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

your fuse block does not look bad. if the plastic melts more like mine did than the female pin does not stay in place as the plastic around it has melted so the male pin from the relay just pushes it away

since yours is not melted like that just use something like a paper clip or very small screw driver to scrape off any burnt tarnish that may be inside the female pin. Replace the relay with a new one. You can also "very slightly" bend the male prong of the relay so it would then stay inside the female part of the pin that is in the fuse block tighter than just leaving the male pin straight. Just a very slight bend in the male pin part of the relay to help it make better contact with the female pin once plugged in.

Sounds like the secondary fan connection at the relay got intermittent, started to arc and interrupted vdc to the fan so previous owner just wired it direct. If he did that than fiing the fuse block pin or replacing that relay won't do anything if the power for the secondary fan has been changed.

You would need to restore it back to original wiring for the relay to work and turn on the secondary fan
Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the previous owner connected the sec fan relay pin with a wire to the wire that feeds power to the fuse box. I removed that wire a long time ago. I will see how it will go, I will clean the female pins of the fans relays, hope that will fix the operation of both fans.

Last edited by Abdullah; 10-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 impala ss alternator fix