LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Lid mod for LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SLP Lid mod for LT1

I'm in the process of installing an SLP lid from the 98-02 LS cars. I've procured the upper radiator support / lower air box assembly. Attached is a picture of the part after initial fitting. What I'm wondering is, how much additional clearance is needed under the hood in order for the assembly to clear?

I am running a much larger BeCOOL radiator, which is laid back almost to stock height.

I am not interested in cutting a section out of a stock hood to make this work. My intent is to buy a Harwood hood (part number B-12201). Their engineer indicated that from the tip of the hood 11" back (so just behind the hood latch), the rise is 1" over stock and rises to 2.5" over a 24" run.

Does 1" gain enough clearance for the hood to close clean? I've seen these conversions done right, and they look nice.... Looks are as important as function. If anyone has this set up done, and can pass along some insight, I'd be grateful.

Last edited by JL_94z28; 11-21-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Pretty sure if you are going to run the lid in the stock position like that you'll need a cowl hood for it to clear. I think others who've used the stock hood have cut into the radiator support to make the lid fit more flush for the hood to clear.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the reply! I have seen a few installation guides posted here on the forum that show such modifications. I've limited my fabrication to fitting the composite upper radiator support (trimmed to fit the contour of my core support, and radiator shape).

My hope is to find a member of the forum who has successfully implemented this configuration (SLP Lid on an unmodified stock core support & using the Harwood hood). Looking for a little reassurance before I make a $600 spend.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to hammer that crap out of the rad support and cut the bottom of the air box shorter. I have a 3in cowl hood from glasstek and it still had to be cut significantly for the lid to fit. After I cut the hood, the base, and hammered the rad support my lid still hit my hood a little in the front passenger corner. A lot of work just to have an easily replaceable filter.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Put everything together. go buy some kids modeling clay/putty and put it on top of the intake...close the hood and see how much clearance you have.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

The modeling clay was a great idea. After installing my Harwood hood, I found that there was still insufficient room available. I still refused to notch my core support or cut my hood though. Went back to forum and found some other creative deployment strategies.

I went to my local salvage yard and bought a spare 93-97 upper radiator support. I cut a portion of the center section out to allow air flow in to the SLP lid. I also removed material from the top of the 93-97 support to accommodate the lid mounting portion of the 98-02 support. Using rivets and an aluminum plate underneath (for strength), I secured the pieces together.

Next step is to weld two small pins on the core support to hold the front of the lid down. I'll use R-clips to retain it in place, and to ease filter access.
Attached Thumbnails SLP Lid mod for LT1-img_20161119_165616638.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I cut my support to lay the filter in the cut, it's about 2" into the support. Then I laid the radiator back about an inch, and bent the top lip of the radiator vertical to hold the other side of the filter. Then I trimmed the bottom edge of the lid for a tighter fit on the filter, then cut the webbing away from the underside of the hood for clearance, and slammed the hood. It hits the lid a bit, you can feel a bulge, but it fits. Also used self tapping screws to hold the lid in place.

Quick Reply: SLP Lid mod for LT1