LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

P0300 Bad Misfire, Flashing SES light, Car Sat 4 Months, Lout Ticking / Shaking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0300 Bad Misfire, Flashing SES light, Car Sat 4 Months, Lout Ticking / Shaking.

Car is all stock internal, bolts on and full suspension + gears and LT's.

Last time I drove my car was in August, late part of that month. Drove fine. I've always used royal purple 5W-30. Started my car up last night and SES light was flashing, car wouldn' turn over or stay running. bad gas??? I was able to turn it over a few times and shut off real fast to push the oil up first. After a few minutes it started just fine but ran really rough. Misfiring bad, sounded like a huge huge tick out of the exhaust, sounded like an old chevy pickup. Got a scanner from autozone and it was P0300 and said the code wasn't current but was stored? I ended up clearing the code out. I let the car idle and it got up to temperature but still had a horrible bad tick, anyways I gave it a little gas while in park maybe up to 2k RPM and all of a sudden BOOM, the tick stopped, SES light stopped flashing and all of a suddent didn't idle or sound rought at all.

Oil pressure was at 40 or greater, fuel pump is new as well. Car is maybe driven 500 miles a year. New time to prime the oil first, where is the fuel pump fuse that I need to pull next time?

Could the suttering been from a misfire? bad gas? no oil in the top end? I drove it 30 miles last night and had ZERO loud tick, or misfire or any issue of anything. still breaking in the new gears so I didn't get on it too much but it drove and rode fine for me.

Any ideas? I know the sticky on storing cars and they say not to start them frequently but in my case would it be a good idea? When I was reving the car from 1k-2k RPM while in park, the tick carried up to about 1500 RPM but then all of a suddent it just stopped?

If it was a stuck lifter, bent PR it wouldn't just go away right? What do you guys suggest I do? I don't have a tech2 to check which cylinder I just got the misfire code. Any and all help is appreicated.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess is that an injector got gummed up from sitting and eventually cleared itself out. Maybe run some Seafoam through the intake and drop some in the tank, do an oil change and hope it doesn't repeat?
Old 11-22-2016, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

id check the plugs after that ordeal to see which cylinder is having the issue. Then you can use two wires connected to the battery terminals to check the injector for that cylinder. Or you can check all 8 injectors before checking the plugs.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Could have been a stuck lifter. I'd change the oil, and personally I stay away from royal purple, maybe pull the valvecovers and have a peak.

Quick Reply: P0300 Bad Misfire, Flashing SES light, Car Sat 4 Months, Lout Ticking / Shaking.