LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Starts Then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Starts Then Dies

Hey Guys,

So I have been battling my car since I pulled the motor for new cam and valvetrain (post HERE). I had some issues with the motor cranking, (post HERE) but after new battery, battery cables, and starter, that doesnt seem to be a concern.

Now when I try and start my car, it will crank for a while, then usually catch and start for a second or two, then immediately die. If I give it gas right when it starts, I can keep it alive, but have to hold it at about 2k RPM's, if i drop much below that it will stumble and die. When I do run it, it seems to be extremely rich based on the smell and the plugs that I pulled.

So far I have replaced the plugs and wires, tested for spark at the end of each wire, tested for fuel pressure, and also replaced the fuel filter. . . And also some other things that I cant think of right now. The opti was just replaced 2 years ago but has probably less than 5k miles on it. I have checked around for vacuum leaks, made sure all my hoses were connected or lines plugged, and could really find anything. I tried some searches but didnt really come up with anything insightful. You guys have any ideas??
Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the idle air control isn't working. With the cam, it will change vacuum in the intake as well. As for being rich, this could also be the issue as you are needing more air now to keep it running. Bigger cams tend to lower the vacuum which could be telling the MAP that more fuel is needed. Could also be your TPS. Since you took the engine apart, you could have bumped something causing it not to read correctly now. Like the TPS, but not very common.

Or simply the cam is creating the vacuum issue and now its confusing the ecm because of the created sensor data, so you may need to tune it.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response Taxman20. I forgot to mention in my post that I got a mail order tune from PCM4LESS. I kept the old PCM for 2 months before returning for a core charge, and several times would swap out PCM’s to see if the old one helped, but I would always have the same problem.

I will look into the MAP sensor and TPS now that you mentioned it. I have done a few searches on how to test them, hope I can pull it off with my limited electrical knowledge!!

Quick Reply: Car Starts Then Dies